Train questions

hrmkr

Hello,

We are going to take the high speed train from Venice to Rome and have a few questions.

Can you store large suitcases above your head or just small carny-on size? If not, are the luggage racks in the middle of the train or just at the ends? Want to be safe and be close to our bags. Don't want them stolen.

Silly question. I sometimes get sick if riding backwards on a train. I am guessing that row 1 is at the front of the train car? I want to make sure I pick a front facing seat.

How long before the train leaves should I be at the station? We will be leaving from S. Lucia station in Venice. The train leaves at 2:25 PM.

I went to the Trentalia website and tried to do a chat but never got connected with someone.

Thank you for your help.

You cannot put anything in the rack above that's larger than about a 22" carry-on size (and not one that is very wide either).

We just did the ride from Venice to Rome about a month ago in second class. There was luggage storage at both ends of the car we were on and also a small section in the middle of the car.

Regarding seat selection, you can see a diagram of the specific coach and select your seat(s) when you purchase your ticket. On the trenitalia.com site, just check the small box that says "I choose the seat" which is just above the "Continue" box on the page where you choose your fare category. It's pretty easy to tell which way the seats are facing -- but the caveat is that you sometimes cannot tell which direction the carriage will travel. I've been in what I thought would be a forward-facing seat and it ended up being the other way round. For me, not a big deal other than that I wanted to watch the approaching scenery....

Perhaps someone else will know whether there is a way to guarantee that you have a forward-facing seat. (I'll add that if all seats are not full, I've seen people change their seat for a more desireable one...)

Thanks for the information.

How long before the train leaves should i be at the station?

Thirty minutes ahead is plenty of time. There are large electronic boards in the lobby area and at the head of the tracks that will give you the track number (binario) but generally not more than 15-20 minutes prior to departure time. When you see the track number, you can then go to your track and locate your carriage (number is listed on or close to the door for each carriage) and board.

It seems they don't post the exact platform until 10-15 min prior to arrival. Everyone congregates around the departure board then makes a mad dash to their platform. Also, there is sometimes luggage storage between back to back seats.

As has been posted, there will be some luggage storage space at the end of the cars. But here is an important security tip. It is never wise to leave unattended luggage just sitting on a rack at the end of a car. It is not unheard of for somebody to snatch luggage just as a train pulls into a station. So what to do? Get a luggage cable lock. There are various types sold online (and in some luggage stores). We have an older one that we love because it uses a combination lock and the steel cable is retractable (into a plastic housing) which makes it easy to pack and carry. There are other types that look like a lightweight bike lock. When we leave our luggage in a rack we pass the cable through our luggage handles and secure it around something on the train (usually part of the luggage rack).

Here is a link to a retractable luggage lock:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Retractasafe-Anti-Theft-3-Dial-Retractable/dp/B004N181US

Hank

As has been posted, there will be some luggage storage space at the end of the cars. But here is an important security tip. It is never wise to leave unattended luggage just sitting on a rack at the end of a car. It is not unheard of for somebody to snatch luggage just as a train pulls into a station. So what to do? Get a luggage cable lock. There are various types sold online (and in some luggage stores). We have an older one that we love because it uses a combination lock and the steel cable is retractable (into a plastic housing) which makes it easy to pack and carry. There are other types that look like a lightweight bike lock. When we leave our luggage in a rack we pass the cable through our luggage handles and secure it around something on the train (usually part of the luggage rack).

Here is a link to a retractable luggage lock:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Retractasafe-Anti-Theft-3-Dial-Retractable/dp/B004N181US

Hank

It's a sad sad way for things to be :(, but I'll second Hank's advice.

JB :)

I have already read online about the snatching of luggage. That is why I was asking. I definately will get a lock to secure our bags. Thank you for the link online to buy the lock. Also, it was recommended to stand by the luggage rack near your stuff when pulling into a station. Less chance of things being taken.

I’ve taken the high speed train from Rome to Venice. I booked 1st class so I could keep an eye on my luggage.

The train stopped at 3 terminus stations and changed direction 3 times, so you will be going backwards for part of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have already read online about the snatching of luggage. That is why I was asking. I definately will get a lock to secure our bags. Thank you for the link online to buy the lock. Also, it was recommended to stand by the luggage rack near your stuff when pulling into a station. Less chance of things being taken.

LOL, now you are being more paranoid then me (is it really paranoia when they are chasing you?). I use common sense which has worked well for over forty years of travel. There are times when you might want to keep close tabs when pulling into a station and other times when you feel comfortable. It is just as crazy when driving in Europe (we do this a lot). One year DW and I pulled into a highway rest stop near San Sebastian, Spain. A van full of gypsies pulled in next to our car on one side and a police car on the other side. DW got out to go to the rest rooms, and I sat on the hood (bonnet) of the car to keep guard! Our luggage was in the trunk (boot). The gypsies got out of the van (must have been a dozen) and headed off for the rest rooms. The Spanish cop walked over to me (as I was sitting on my car) and started to laugh. He then said "Muy Bien" and then "muy inteligente" and we both had a laugh.

As JR says, it is sad...but its the way of Europe and one has to adapt to the situation. The good news is that in the USA somebody might blow out your brain and then take your stuff....but in Europe they are more subtle (and very good at their craft).

Hank

We took the high speed train from Rome to Venice in 2016. I reserved seats facing each other by the window so you could always switch seats with your traveling companion to be facing the way you need. We had luggage and were able to keep an eye on it and we did go stand by it as we approached the station.

As it was our first trip to Europe I was worried about figuring out how to find our train but it was very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it's ok for me to ask a related question...is there a secure luggage storage place at the train station in Venice? We are thinking of catching the late afternoon train and would like to sight see before our train leaves (but after we check out of our hotel, which may be in Maestre)? Thank you!

I am guessing that the hotels in Maestre may be cheaper in Venice but adding on the price of luggage storage may make the price closer. We are staying at the Hotel San Gallo in Venice and they are holding our luggage for us while we tour after checking out.

I hope it's ok for me to ask a related question...is there a secure luggage storage place at the train station in Venice? We are thinking of catching the late afternoon train and would like to sight see before our train leaves (but after we check out of our hotel, which may be in Maestre)? Thank you!

There is luggage storage at Venice Santa Lucia: http://www.veneziasantalucia.it/en/service/detail/left-luggage

Yes, as noted there is luggage storage. Just keep in mind that if you stay in Mestre you have to get on the train and head into Venice, get off at the Santa Lucia station and then check your luggage before heading out to explore Venice.

We're staying at the Boscolo Exedra Roma next to the train station. How long should I plan for the travel to the airport at 6am?

Travel how? It's a third of a mile on foot, relatively flat terrain with two big intersection crossings. With luggage I would allow ten minutes for the walk, plus another ten to buy your train tickets and five to get to the track and board the train.

Travel how? It's a third of a mile on foot, relatively flat terrain with two big intersection crossings. With luggage I would allow ten minutes for the walk, plus another ten to buy your train tickets and five to get to the track and board the train.

Thanks for the reply. I meant the train trip to the airport. I understand maybe 30-40 mintues, is that correct?

Danny

I have read similar posts and stories. I will be taking the train from Venice to Rome in May and will definitely be getting one of these cable locks. One quick question, would one be sufficient for 3 pieces of luggage? There are 3 of us traveling together? I do realize that part of that would dependent on the fact that all 3 pieces are be places side x side.