Onboard Seaside: Ship B+ to A- everything else C- to C+

The Admiral

O god!!! NO way! I just quoted wrong from thread starter. MSC don't need to catch up to any one specially not to NCL .

The reason I did ask was that we did NCL Escape and MSC Divina in Nov 2017 one after the other and both had their good and bad. We considered NCL food the best, MSC ship the best.

Prices on both of these were totally different. We had Aurora on MSC and a Mini Suite on NCL.

Drinks on NCL extremely expensive even when you buy their Package at $89/day plus 18% Gty. Compare to MSC Package at $45/day.

NCL Specialty Restaurants are outstanding whereas, MSC needs to improve a lot here.

JMO!

Just a quick note. Under the faq on the app it tells you how to change dinning times... says that Bella and fantastica can be changed only once perday.. now the place you request may not be availiable... The maiterde is at deck 5 seashore dining room at 12:30... be there early to change and get in line... I saw people change out of marketplace back to dinning room while I was in line. Depends on space available.. lots of people were changing. We passed by the windows if the marketplace and for us it really didn't look that bad... The place is really nice to start with... I would rather be in seashore. But... We ended up in impeama..which was also nice but at the time we needed it..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Question, is this information available on the app once on board the ship? If they are able to accommodate dining change, shouldn't it be for the duration of the cruise?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I was asked what I would suggest MSC change so MSC is a better rather than sub industry standard experience:

1) plan the ships interior better by having more room storage and making main dinning rooms larger, there is no excuse to have one class of passengers eating next to the buffet line. (This will have to wait till their new ships I guess since guests are pretty much stuck on the seaside as is)

2) make the alternative menu that has the NY strip, broiled chicken and French onion soup a standard alternative to the menu every night; Like most other lines do...I can tell you I love Italian food and except for the tiramisu yesterday’s Italian menu was ok at best.

For example you have passengers with low fat or other diatary restrictions and they do not even have the broiled non fat chicken as an alternative available its a disservice. I asked and was told the menu choices only!

3) have a true alternative dinner buffet with a larger variety of food (for lunch better variety as well) like a made to order pasta, oriental and sandwich /carved meat section- also offered on many other cruise lines. And also have more dessert selections in the buffet like ice cream.

4) plan in future ships for at least one other free alternative lunch or dinner casual fast restaurant so guests have main dinning, buffet and one other choice included as an available dinning option.

5) get rid of obsolete or confusing processes that make guests waste time such as the paper tickets you need to carry around to get your fantastica experience drinks and the credit card check in activation on board.

Side note: maybe have stronger drinks, this week my drinks have tasted like virgin drinks maybe that’s why drinks are cheaper? I don’t know, just my perception.

6) have a few more entertainment options mid-day and after dinner. The Ship is dead boring at certain times of the day...dead boring!

These suggestions are easy to implement, some right away and shouldn’t break the bank.

I dont think I Am being unreasonable.

But no worries MSC can do whatever they want (their loss) and these forums can help passengers make informed decisions and those that agree with my points can take their business elsewhere. To a different line.

And in regards to some comments from another post regarding food preparation, I agree.

Appetizers and sometimes even main courses are frequently cold! But you’re in a catch 22, if you complain the waiter takes the hit and I don’t enjoy bringing things up like this when I know these hard working and very humble staff will be given a hard time like its their fault every time a passenger complains.

It’s the head dinning managers responsibility to ensure plates comes out at the appropriate temperature.

A previous poster gave dinning 2/10 I would say 4/10 but with every passing day it ain’t getting better so that rating may keep going down.

Solution: book a cabin in the Yacht Club! I only hear glowing reviews about this “ship within a ship.” Those customers expecting some kind of “egalitarian” cruise experience are deluding themselves. Cruise ships have always catered to some sort of “class system” and those who pay more get better service, food and accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doesn't sound like far superior to Carnival....or am I missing something?

Thanks for the report. MSC entertainment and food is FAR superior to Carnival.

Riclop.....You can't be serious??!! LMAO It may be helpful if you would elaborate just one time on your always short (with no backup detail) responses!

Cruise ships have always catered to some sort of “class system” and those who pay more get better service, food and accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually this isn't true. When we began cruising in 1989 there was no "class system" everyone was the same. You had simple "inside" cabins, "outside" "balcony" and "suite" cabins but there no other distinction. Everyone was treated the same regardless of what cabin you were in at meals and so on. However that said over the last several years there has been a change to a sort of class system depending on what cabin you book.

Admiral ... Why should MSC become just another cruise line like the rest ? If more Americanisation is what you crave then there are plenty of others as you know that will satisfy you.

It always makes me laugh to hear people say they want the Italian experience and then complain when they don't get food the same as the other cruise lines!

Actually this isn't true. When we began cruising in 1989 there was no "class system" everyone was the same. You had simple "inside" cabins, "outside" "balcony" and "suite" cabins but there no other distinction. Everyone was treated the same regardless of what cabin you were in at meals and so on. However that said over the last several years there has been a change to a sort of class system depending on what cabin you book.

Made me laugh. When I started cruising in 1976, there were inside or outside (porthole) cabins (no such thing as a balcony). Dining was early or late. You ate every meal with your assigned tablemates. There was no buffet choice, no extra cost dining. Yes, there was a midnight buffet (it was set up on a couple of folding tables), except for the gala midnight buffet, which was mostly for show.

Entertainment was usually the Cruise Director who also sang, or passenger participation, every once in a while a guest performer...much more low key.

So, yes, things have changed drastically since my early days on Sitmar (also Italian). Some for the better, some not, but cruising is still the biggest bargain in travel, IMHO.

Oh, and BTY, these ships were 20 to 25 thousand GRT.

Stan

Edited by AZ Stan (FKA Stan in Chicago)
added

Admiral ... Why should MSC become just another cruise line like the rest ? If more Americanisation is what you crave then there are plenty of others as you know that will satisfy you.

It always makes me laugh to hear people say they want the Italian experience and then complain when they don't get food the same as the other cruise lines!

Ok so then what you are saying is that I shouldnt complain or have even basic standards because this is a true Italian experience I am having? So I guess Italians enjoy cold food that should be warm, being told it’s the menu or nothing (again dinner buffet is useless), having things hidden in the fine print like that they will be eating next to the stacked buffet plates and dirty rugs (more on that later ... all week the Hallways and stairs are full of dirt and prices if paper etc)?

I doubt that this is a true Italian experience, Italians are known for their elegance in design and gusto for life and I know there are class differences and the yacht club and that’s fine, but even the basic cruise fare should include minimum standards free of the problems I have cited in my posts.

MSC either simply rushed out this ship without any thought beyond- it’s a new Ship so everyone will like it and not notice the cut corners or their standards don’t even meet basic expectations and need to be raised

It’s MSC that I will admit had a massive successful (I bought it lol) PR campaign highlighting The Seaside as their big new bold launch into North American (they raised their own expectations) market- sadly as much as I wanted their success to date they aren’t there at all.

It’s not that I want americanization not at all, Costa is an Italian experience (yes I know it’s still owned by Carnival) but they cater to Italian tastes and culture and they don’t seem to have the issues MSC is having and has had since my only other cruise with them years ago.

The carpets are not dirty as you claim, yes for some reason they appear to attract what appears to be fluff and from what we saw it seem to be a carpet issue rather than a cleaning issue.

As for the food the only Luke warm to cold thing we had all cruise were beans at the morning buffet, food in the dining room was hot and things that were meant to be cold were cold.

I will agree that there does appear to be a lack of staff in many areas and that 5,000 on this ship makes it over populated.

The carpets are not dirty as you claim, yes for some reason they appear to attract what appears to be fluff and from what we saw it seem to be a carpet issue rather than a cleaning issue.

As for the food the only Luke warm to cold thing we had all cruise were beans at the morning buffet, food in the dining room was hot and things that were meant to be cold were cold.

I will agree that there does appear to be a lack of staff in many areas and that 5,000 on this ship makes it over populated.

we noticed the carpet fuzzing.. in room also.... ahhh new carpet....

O god!!! NO way! I just quoted wrong from thread starter. MSC don't need to catch up to any one specially not to NCL .

The best entertainment we had at sea was on NCL Jade last year. It was our first and only sailing with NCL. Overall, I would say that our Seaside cruise was slightly better. This was our 2nd time on MSC. HAL (6 cruises) is at the top for us. CCL (also 6 cruises) is number 2.

All cruise lines have caste system. You get what you paid for.

Cruise ships have always catered to some sort of “class system” and those who pay more get better service, food and accommodations.

Regarding accommodations I would totally agree, but regarding food, not as much. The Yacht Club on some MSC ships, the Haven on some NCL ships and the Aqua Class cabins on some Celebrity ships are the only main stream lines that I know of that have an upgraded dining area. And of course those that choose to stay in those areas pay accordingly.

If you are staying in a basic inside cabin on NCL, Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, Princess, or HAL, you have the option to eat in the MDR at either main or late sitting, with the exception of NCL's anytime, or eat anytime you wish in the anytime dining or whatever name the particular cruise line calls it.

Only MSC charges the lowest fare for possible buffet only (Bella), slightly more for fixed dining (Fantastica), even more for anytime dining (Aurea). No other cruise line has a caste system with 3 different levels of basic MDR eating options. But then again their could be another European line that I am not familiar with that has the same system.

Only MSC charges the lowest fare for possible buffet only (Bella)

This statement is ridiculous! IT IS NOT BUFFET ONLY! It is the buffet restaurant TURNED INTO a dining room with table cloths and the same menu as the other two dining rooms! Drama much??? Geesh!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm curious as to whether there is any choice not to eat in the buffet if you're assigned there. If you aren't happy with it can you request another dining room? I feel like there has to be something more to it. Also, perhaps because these are holiday sailings is the reason why they need the buffet to accommodate the increased guest count?

Ok a few things positive first.

Dinner on now day 5 is good, warm and timely and for tonight they returned the classics steak etc..alternative choices to the menu as an alternative I’d you didn't like the main menu...kids still the same no change frozen chicken nuggets.

They have set up two giant disco balls in atrium and it’s really hopping and music DJ is very good.

As to the carpets: yes new carpet smell and fuzz I’m not talking about that I get and appreciate new carpet smell and know you get fuzz till it’s broken in. What I’m saying is debris like white pieces of paper, glitter confetti from I guess prior parties and other dirt -that has nothing to do with new carpet.

Maybe it’s the dark burgundy color they chose that doesn’t hide dirt as well as others but it is noticeable.

Again they need consistency in quality

I'm curious as to whether there is any choice not to eat in the buffet if you're assigned there. If you aren't happy with it can you request another dining room? I feel like there has to be something more to it. Also, perhaps because these are holiday sailings is the reason why they need the buffet to accommodate the increased guest count?

Post 41 and 45 have the answers. Its long thread.

Ok a few things positive first.

Dinner on now day 5 is good, warm and timely and for tonight they returned the classics steak etc..alternative choices to the menu as an alternative I’d you didn't like the main menu...kids still the same no change frozen chicken nuggets.

They have set up two giant disco balls in atrium and it’s really hopping and music DJ is very good.

As to the carpets: yes new carpet smell and fuzz I’m not talking about that I get and appreciate new carpet smell and know you get fuzz till it’s broken in. What I’m saying is debris like white pieces of paper, glitter confetti from I guess prior parties and other dirt -that has nothing to do with new carpet.

Maybe it’s the dark burgundy color they chose that doesn’t hide dirt as well as others but it is noticeable.

Again they need consistency in quality

On I think the Last night dinner they have tournedos... this is a big chunk of steak... I have never heard of it.

Tournedos-small round pieces of beef cut from the end portion of beef tenderloin, often cooked with bacon or lard.

Tournedos Rossini is a French steak dish, perhaps created for the composer Gioachino Rossini by French master chef Marie-Antoine Carême or Adolphe Dugléré, or by Savoy Hotel chef Auguste Escoffier.

The dish comprises a beef tournedos (filet mignon) pan-fried in butter, served on a crouton, and topped with a hot slice of fresh whole foie gras, briefly pan-fried at the last minute. The dish is garnished with slices of black truffle and finished with a Madeira demi-glace sauce.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a quick note. Under the faq on the app it tells you how to change dinning times... says that Bella and fantastica can be changed only once perday.. now the place you request may not be availiable... The maiterde is at deck 5 seashore dining room at 12:30... be there early to change and get in line... I saw people change out of marketplace back to dinning room while I was in line. Depends on space available.. lots of people were changing. We passed by the windows if the marketplace and for us it really didn't look that bad... The place is really nice to start with... I would rather be in seashore. But... We ended up in impeama..which was also nice but at the time we needed it..

All I can say is as soon as I board I'm making sure I am not in marketplace. I did not pony up for a suite to end up in the buffet for dinner. If it takes lining up daily I'll be waiting first in line when the maitre'd gets to his desk every single day.