Transportation from Miami Airport to South Beach, then South Beach to Port

M&M cruiseaholics

What would be good choices in transport, and the costs, from Miami Airport to South Beach (staying at a hotel for a couple of days before) and South Beach to Port. We are booked on the NCL Sun for 1/17/06, a Tuesday. Alamo, which runs shuttles on the weekend to the port, does not appear to have shuttles on Tuesday for embarkation and Friday for Debarkation (I have been unable to get confirmation on this from Alamo - hence the dilemma). Any suggestions would be a great help.

You didn't say how many in your party? A cab from the airport (MIA) to South Beach is a flat fee of $32 plus a fuel surcharge of $1pp. From South Beach to the Port approximately $20.

If you rent a car, check out Avis. They're opening a new location in downtown Miami. You can pickup the car at the airport, drop it off downtown and grab a cab for the 5 minute ride to the port. Check with your hotel though to see what the parking charges are going to be. It may work out better to just take a cab wherever your going. ;)

Thanks for the info. It's just my wife and I. The taxi's are rather expensive as I was fearful of. Just one year ago, I rented cars pre and post from Alamo with shuttles that appear to no longer be available during the week. It was very inexpensive. But this year the cost is almost double from last years' rates and parking at the hotel is $20 a night. Look's like I need to budget more. I will look at Avis. Are there any van services that would be less than taxis?

• 2 weeks later...

Sweney: We're on the same cruise as you. Since embarkation is so late now on Tuesday, we've decided to just fly in that day and go straight to the port, rather than coming in the day before as we had originally planned.

On Friday when we get off the ship I was considering: (any advice from readers here will be greatly welcomed)

a.) getting a rental car since our flight out of MIA isn't until 5:50 PM, but I haven't figured out how to do the trip TO the rental car agency FROM the port ......any ideas? sounds like no shuttles possibly since it's not on the weekend? OR

b.) maybe we will just book one of the ships Miami excursions that takes us to the airport at the end of it. Problem with that choice is that ship excursions usually cost quite a bit more $$ so it may be kind of like throwing extra $$ away? Any thoughts? If so, Thanks!

Hilltopfamily, I always rent from Alamo. My wife and I are arriving in Miami on Sunday, staying two nights in South Beach. I am picking up the car on Sunday (shuttle from airport to off airport site) and turning the car in on Tuesday at 4:00 at the Alamo South Beach location. Both locations have told me that there will be shuttles any day there are ships in port - but I am a little nervous about it. I will confirm that South Beach location will take us to the port before leaving the car there. If not, I will have to drive back to the airport location.

I did check Avis as Bequia had suggested, but their rate was much higher than Alamo.

On Friday, Alamo is supposed to have a shuttle from the port to the off site airport location. They did last January when we had a 7 day cruise on the same ship - but that was a Saturday, not a weekday. It was very convenient. I am considering renting a car from Alamo on Friday, especially if the shuttle service is active, as our flight is not until 8:30 pm. The ship excursions get you to the airport at 1:00 which may be rather early.

• 2 weeks later...

Though we are now coming in to Fll airport we were originaly coming in to Mia airport. The most affordable is an airport express shared ride to south beach through "tri-county airport express" unless you will spend the night in South beach, then check out a hotel in the south beach group boutique hotel management group--good rates and a free airport shuttle (breakfast too) from there take a cab to port. At the end of the trip using the NCL transfer is approx. $12.50 per person, no excursion, just transfer to the airport.

Hilltopfamily, I always rent from Alamo. My wife and I are arriving in Miami on Sunday, staying two nights in South Beach. I am picking up the car on Sunday (shuttle from airport to off airport site) and turning the car in on Tuesday at 4:00 at the Alamo South Beach location. .

Sweeny, you do realize that parking in South Beach is expensive right? Hotel parking will run you $20-$40 per day and metered parking is $14 but they ticket and tow like no where else I've ever been.

A car in South Beach is much more trouble than it is worth.

Don't even think about parking in a permit only space.

I'd ditch the car and take cabs. The cab from South Beach to the Port couldn't be more than $15 or $20.

Thanks for the suggestion BlueHerons. The hotel I am staying at does have valet parking for $20/day plus tax. I debated whether to spend the extra in order to have more freedom to visit other sites while I am there. I read that parking is free at the Convention Center if there is no convention. Don't know how possible or practical that is. Still deciding though. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion BlueHerons. The hotel I am staying at does have valet parking for $20/day plus tax. I debated whether to spend the extra in order to have more freedom to visit other sites while I am there. I read that parking is free at the Convention Center if there is no convention. Don't know how possible or practical that is. Still deciding though. Thanks.

Where are you staying and I can tell you if parking at the convention center is practical. The convention center is a little north of South Beach.

Also, this is Miami's peak season for conventions, festivals and conferences so chances are there will be something going on there.

What sights do you want to see? There are tons in South Beach and all of South Beach is walking distance.

BlueHerons, we are staying at the Richmond Hotel, 1757 Collins Ave.

Have an interest in Vizcaya, South Beach restaurants, walking along Ocean Drive, Monty's on the Marina including South Pointe Park, Bayside, and movies if weather is poor.

Haven't had time to research more. Thanks for your help.

BlueHerons, we are staying at the Richmond Hotel, 1757 Collins Ave.

Have an interest in Vizcaya, South Beach restaurants, walking along Ocean Drive, Monty's on the Marina including South Pointe Park, Bayside, and movies if weather is poor.

Haven't had time to research more. Thanks for your help.

Okay, skip Bayside Marketplace. It is an outdoor shopping and dining complex built mainly to entertain overnight cruise guests. While it is nice, it is not worth renting a car and the only reason people rave about it is because it is the only thing there.

There is a movie theater on Lincoln Road Mall which is walking distance of your hotel.

There is a Monty's on 5th Avenue on the bay side of South Beach. It is a very short cab ride away.

Everything on your list except Vizcaya is walkable in South Beach. It isn't a very big area. Only about 20 blocks long and eight blocks wide at its widest. Narrower in some places.

Archived