Stingray adventure: Cozumel vs. Grand Cayman

jeepers13

We'll be on our cruise shortly and will be visiting both islands. A stingray encounter is available both places, and we'd love to do it for the first time.

So our question is - which one?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's visited the rays on Cozumel or GC.

We'll be on our cruise shortly and will be visiting both islands. A stingray encounter is available both places, and we'd love to do it for the first time.

So our question is - which one?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's visited the rays on Cozumel or GC.

We visited “stingray city” on Grand Cayman a few days ago. It was fantastic !!

We booked it as a Celebrity excursion (Deluxe Stingray City). It was very well organized and a unique experience. Actually one of the best excursions we have done.

The “deluxe” part was the boat. It had a series of steps along the back that made it very, very easy to get in and out of the ocean. The water was about 4 feet deep and warm. There were LOTS of stingrays swimming around and they seem to love people. We held them, pet them, fed them squid, took pictures, swam along with rays. It was great !!!

The only downside it the crowd. There were a couple hundred people at stingray City from about 8 - 10 boats. But, once in the water, we wandered off about 39 feet away from the crowd and played with the rays by ourselves.

I highly recommend it !

e9862ad98849223f1acb2dcccd97cfb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Second Stingray City in GC. Our experience wasnt nearly as crowded. You can also piggyback that with Dolphin swim or Dolphin encounter if you really want to go all out for the day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

The time of day could make a big difference. We went out to Stingray City at 2:00 PM.

Was you excursion in the morning?

Sounds like everyone loves the experience in Grand Cayman. Has anyone done this on Cozumel?

From what I’ve read, it sounds like the GC one is about a two-hour experience and the rays are in the ocean free. Is this correct?

Thank you for the feedback!

From what I've read, the tour in Grand Cayman takes about two hours and involves taking a boat out to the area. Is this correct?

Yes - Stingray City is a sand bar only reached by boat. I seem to recall that both of the tours we did took longer than 2 hours, but they also included a snorkel stop.

Thank you for the feedback!

From what I've read, the tour in Grand Cayman takes about two hours and involves taking a boat out to the area. Is this correct?

Yes, boat ride took I think around 20 mins. I did an excursion that did this and turtle farm. Also did quick stop at post office in town called hell. Altogether was most of the day.