Long time Carnival cruiser who just booked 1st Royal Caribbean cruise

We also booked our first Royal cruise after only sailing Carnival. Like lele100 our biggest apprehension is the lack of included dining and the fancy dress code for the MDR. We will have limited luggage flying (1 carry-on size suitcase each) to Europe and I don't know what we will do at this point as we don't usually change our daytime clothes (capris/tshirt or sundress for girls and shorts/tshirt for boys) in order to eat dinner.

The late Adult comedy club is a winner for us on Carnival as we just dont do other shows.

The dinning room service on RCI seems a little more formal which is nice but the food quality and service is about the same.

More men wear a tux on formals with RCI on Carnival wearing a tux can get a few looks from the shirt and tie no jacket brigade.

The sandwich Deli and Indian food stations out by the pools makes Carnival Buffet better than RCI "for us" although RCI buffet does have better choices inside than carnival buffet Unless you must have Burritos and buffet is your thing.

On RCI we do most every meal in the dinning room and only snack buffet when returning from ports but on Carnival we casual lunch at outside buffet Deli sandwich or Indian most days.

RCI dinning room is open more than Carnival for breakfast and lunch and they have that salad bar thing at lunch.

Carnival is more fun with loud dj music by the adult pool for young adults and you can always find a quiet spot in the adult only sun deck area,people on Carnival dont complain about kids being brought to the adult pool area as they know their parents wont keep them there very long, Kids brought through Adult only areas on RCI turns 99% into "instant Mearkats" and its a competition to see who can complain first. :)

RCI you have to go to the adults only solarium pool areas to get away from screaming kids so as you could imagine its always full and hard to get a chair.

Cruise directed sea day casul fun is more distant on RCI where carnival is much more interactive.

Carnival cruiser do not contiually whine about smokers because they are enjoying themseves too much to notice.

Crossing the equator on RCI was the best entertainment I have experienced on a cruise ship

You are more likely to come across the odd person knitting in quiet areas on RCI.

Drink service is constant on Carnival and can get a bit annoying being asked if you want drinks when you havnt finished the last one,RCI you can raise your hand for an hour before you get up and just go to the bar yourself.

All in all they are both about cruiseing and you make your own memorable experience because that is your responsability! :)

Edited by fishtaco

My husband and I have sailed on both Carnival and RCI...open my signature to see how many on each line. You are going to get answers that are personal preference. Personally, I like the food better on Carnival and entertainment better on RCI.

Other than that,. They are basically all the same. As someone said, you need to compare ships as the classes are different. We have been on all cruise lines when the passengers were older and when they were young and wild...I don't think any one line has a certain kind of clientele, with maybe the exception of Holland America. The type of clientele depends on the length of the cruise and the time of year.

I like both lines and I think you will, too. The cruise is what you make it.

Thanks everyone for your insight. I do appreciate it. I probably should've specified that I was looking for general comparisons between the two as a lot of you are right in that ships should be compared to other ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Think of Royal Caribbean as a pretentious Carnival. Food is about equal (same supplier does provisions for both). Carnival has a more varied dining selection but it is still mass market food - more about the packaging (sizzle, not steak).

Royal Caribbean markets to a slightly different demographic looking for 30+ and up, families. Unlike Carnival, never experienced a drunken brawl on RCI. Carnival is looser, younger, more active - there’s a reason they’ve been known as the Fun Ships for decades. Party till dawn. Royal is,dead by 2 AM.

I enjoy almost all of the cruise lines, they each have their own personality. So long as you sail knowing that the product is different (intentionall) you’ll at least have the opportunity to relax & unwind.

Glad you posted this. My husband and I just booked our first RC cruise with no kids, all before were Carnival. I am nervous about the extra costs for things and the food choices. MDR attire but the main thing came down to destinations. Looking forward to the experience. What would some day the extras run?

April

Glad you posted this. My husband and I just booked our first RC cruise with no kids, all before were Carnival. I am nervous about the extra costs for things and the food choices. MDR attire but the main thing came down to destinations. Looking forward to the experience. What would some day the extras run?

April

Big difference in the cost of bottled water, Carnival is reasonable about the cost, Royal is nuts. However, even though it's agaist the rules, Royal generally allows you to bring on water. I'm pretty sure I've read that Carnival has 24 hour free ice cream. Royal has limited hours for their "frozen dessert mix". So if you want real scooped ice cream at midnight, that would cost you around $3.

Big difference in the cost of bottled water, Carnival is reasonable about the cost, Royal is nuts.

Carnival sharply reduced their price for cabin-delivered bottled water at the same time they banned bringing any bottles of soda or water on board....which I thought was cool on their part.

I'm pretty sure I've read that Carnival has 24 hour free ice cream.

Yep, 24-hour free soft-serve ice cream and frozen yogurt. I've found that at night, if they reduce the number of soft-serve locations that are open (most ships seem to have 3, all on Lido), the aft location will be open. Sensible since it's near the 24-hour pizza.

As far as RCI vs. CCL, their mottoes are fairly accurate: Royal has more "Wow" factor, especially on their newest ships, while Carnival ships seem to be more "Fun."

Carnival sharply reduced their price for cabin-delivered bottled water at the same time they banned bringing any bottles of soda or water on board....which I thought was cool on their part. ...

Agree, I'd be happy to pay for reasonably priced bottled water.

My girlfriend finishes her PhD next year so we decided to take a trip to Europe to celebrate and we eventually decided that we wanted that trip to be on a cruise. I’ve cruised Carnival exclusively for 12+ years (I’m in my late 20’s) and my girlfriend has for 8 years and, while we still love Carnival, thought we’d try something different. Thus, we booked our cruise with the Jewel of the Seas which I think is a “Radiance” class ship. Anyways, what should we look forward to from Royal Caribbean in comparison to Carnival? Has anyone been on the Jewel of the Seas? What was your experience on that ship like? We’re very excited to see what this cruise line has to offer.

The only cruise line my wife and I have cruised on is Royal Caribbean, so I can’t help you with any cruise line comparisons.

However, we have been on ‘Jewel Of The Seas’ sister ship (‘Sarenade Of The Seas’) which is pretty much identical in the layout and amenities. If you look in my signature, there is a link to an in-depth review of our honeymoon cruise (Med/Adriatic) with lots of photo’s.

We both loved ‘Sarenade’. Perfect for couples, who don’t need all the “bells ‘n’ whistles” of larger ships to keep their kids entertained. There are plenty of nice bars/restaurants, a decent sized theatre, an outside pool with 2 hot tubs and a movie screen and a lovely, adults only indoor solarium pool with a further 2 hot tubs.

Don’t forget that a Euopean cruise will be more port intensive that what I’m guessing you’ve been used to (Caribbean etc). It really is more about the historical and cultural destinations you’re visiting than the ship...........Don’t get me wrong, the ship is lovely!

In fact, the ‘Radiance’ class (of which both ‘Jewel’ & ‘Sarenade’ belong) is our favourite (certainly my wife’s favourite). So much so, that we are also doing a cruise on ‘Jewel’ this September to celebrate our anniversary (9 nights Greek Islands).

We can’t wait!! :)

April

We did not spend much on extras.

The free food choices on RC are more limited than CCL for sure but we discovered the Windjammer buffet at night was really amazing. Much more appealing than the buffets on Carnival. We had no problem after a busy port or sea day forgoing the MDR glitz after we realized the difference in food. Better quality and amazing choices. For example first night I ordered steak in MDR and found it poor tasting (a beige colour as if it had been microwaved) accompanied with a few pieces of vegetables. the next evening we went to the buffet where they were grilling in front of you beef brisket (to die for), lamb chops, veggies....

Instead of a nice bread basket with a few nice buns, there was a whole bread area with nice cheeses and extras. My husband enjoyed sampling a bit from the Indian section each night. Many dessert choices including fresh made crepes. We appreciated not having to dress up. It won’t be for everyone but we couldn’t believe the difference in food quality and choices.

Not everyone’s choice but you may want to try it before paying for other options.

Just my 2cents.

We didn't sail the Jewel, but we did sail the Indy, in Europe. I wrote a Pros/Cons report (it's in my signature). It will give you some idea of the things we noticed between the two lines. We enjoyed our time on Indy, but I also feel that a cruise is what you make of it.

no it isn't. at least half of CCL's line has an overall GT larger than the Jewel

ToddnMichelle, you better do your homework:

Typical Conquest class CCL ship:

Length: 952 Ft.

Beam: 125 Ft.

Jewel OTS:

Length: 962 Ft

Beam: 131 Ft

I think overall, the Jewel is BIGGER in dimension than CCL and stand by my comment....sorry! The Vista, which is CCL's biggest ship to date is slightly longer (at 1055 ft) but is also on a narrower beam of 122 ft...... :rolleyes:

ToddnMichelle, you better do your homework:

Typical Conquest class CCL ship:

Length: 952 Ft.

Beam: 125 Ft.

Jewel OTS:

Length: 962 Ft

Beam: 131 Ft

I think overall, the Jewel is BIGGER in dimension than CCL and stand by my comment....sorry! The Vista, which is CCL's biggest ship to date is slightly longer (at 1055 ft) but is also on a narrower beam of 122 ft...... :rolleyes:

It really depends on how you want to compare vessels. Standard maritime comparison would say that the Conquest class ships are considerably larger as their GRT is 110K GT v. 90K GT for Jewel. That would make the the Conquest 19% larger. She's also taller than the Jewel having one deck more. Another advantage of Carnival ships in general is that their average stateroom size is an industry leader.

It really depends on how you want to compare vessels. Standard maritime comparison would say that the Conquest class ships are considerably larger as their GRT is 110K GT v. 90K GT for Jewel. That would make the the Conquest 19% larger. She's also taller than the Jewel having one deck more. Another advantage of Carnival ships in general is that their average stateroom size is an industry leader.

Why bring logic into a debate when he clearly is trying to be obtuse?

Differences?

1. the fleet is basically much easier to traverse. On Carnival, you often have to go up and then down to get from one end of the ship to the other...(ships are all build off one basic design at Fincanterri shipyards).

2. Royal has the promenade..shops, bars, eateries, a wide open interior space that is, frankly, dramatic.

3.This is the one that gets folks excited and angry. It is a different "type" of passenger. Not saying one is better than the other, but different.

4. You will find RCI has a stricter dress code in the Dining rooms. You decide if that is good or bad.

We (by our signature) prefer RCI, but we also sail Carnival.....have never had a bad experience on RCI, and only one poor cruise on Carnival....like the Breeze, Magic and Conquest.

5. Extra charge dining: Both have steakhouses, comparable. RCI has Giovanni's table, far superior to Carnival's Italian dining. RC has SABOR, nothing comparable on Carnival.

6. 24 coffee shop on RCI, 24 hour ice cream on Carnival.

#3:. I'm not excited or angry, but having cruised in both lines, I just don't understand this statement. I've heard it many times and I honestly see no difference in the "type" of customers. Could you give a more in-depth description?

#4 Royal was the only cruise line I've cruised that allowed a man at the table next to ours dressed in basketball shorts, sleeveless t-shirt, flip-flops and backwards ball cap to dine in the Dining room on formal night. Never saw that on Carnival. Since I have seen people turned away from the dining room on a Carnival ship, I'll have to disagree with you there.

I enjoy both Royal and Carnival. Can't wait to cruise again!

I am not sure. It has been a couple years since we have cruised with them. I was talking about Royal.

OK, understood. I agree, and I wish Royal had a package with the same spring water they supply to those with beverage packages. Ice River Springs is what I remember most frequently.

Definitely agree on comparing ships vs. lines. We've sailed on Carnival and Royal, and find them more alike than different. The whole "there's a certain type of passenger on Carnival" theory that always seems to be discussed here we haven't seen at all. We've sailed on Carnival Dream, Breeze, and Sunshine and have yet to see the much-discussed "certain type" of passenger. I was suuuper apprehensive about sailing Carnival after my first two sailings were on Royal, but I was pleasantly surprised.

One thing I like much less on Royal is their food, although that can be subjective. The quality and availability isn't as good as Carnival, and they now (aside from continental breakfast) charge a room service fee on Royal.

The quality of entertainment on Royal tends to be better, but that really depends on the ship. Obviously the Oasis class ships have amazing entertainment, but the shows we've seen on the somewhat older ships (Freedom, Navigator) are pretty much on par with what we've seen on Carnival. Carnival also seems to offer just-released movies more frequently via their "dive-in" theater than what we've seen on Royal.

Regardless, I think it's great that you're trying a new line! I don't understand the whole undying loyalty to a travel brand, and think it's excellent to branch out. I plan on trying NCL or Princess after my next (Royal) cruise. It's fun to experience different cruise lines.

We also booked our first Royal cruise after only sailing Carnival. Like lele100 our biggest apprehension is the lack of included dining and the fancy dress code for the MDR. We will have limited luggage flying (1 carry-on size suitcase each) to Europe and I don't know what we will do at this point as we don't usually change our daytime clothes (capris/tshirt or sundress for girls and shorts/tshirt for boys) in order to eat dinner.

My husband and I generally do not do fancy, but I bring one outfit for the specialty restaurants and/or main dining room. I'll pack a skirt and top, which don't need ironing, and a thin pair of sandals.... Takes up minimal extra space in the luggage. I personally could care less if anyone notices I am in the same clothes...

........people on Carnival don't complain about kids being brought to the adult pool area as they know their parents wont keep them there very long, Kids brought through Adult only areas on RCI turns 99% into "instant Mearkats" and its a competition to see who can complain first. :)

RCI you have to go to the adults only solarium pool areas to get away from screaming kids so as you could imagine its always full and hard to get a chair.

Seriously? People on Carnival bring their kids to the adult only areas? What does "ADULT ONLY" mean to these people??? I go on cruises and enjoy the peace and quiet the adults only area provides. Carnival crew does not assure their adult only areas are kept adult only? That is too bad.

I've been on a couple of Carnival Cruises and found the ships to be garish. Not my favorite line. We stick with RCCL and NCL.

The only cruise line my wife and I have cruised on is Royal Caribbean, so I can’t help you with any cruise line comparisons.

However, we have been on ‘Jewel Of The Seas’ sister ship (‘Sarenade Of The Seas’) which is pretty much identical in the layout and amenities. If you look in my signature, there is a link to an in-depth review of our honeymoon cruise (Med/Adriatic) with lots of photo’s.

We both loved ‘Sarenade’. Perfect for couples, who don’t need all the “bells ‘n’ whistles” of larger ships to keep their kids entertained. There are plenty of nice bars/restaurants, a decent sized theatre, an outside pool with 2 hot tubs and a movie screen and a lovely, adults only indoor solarium pool with a further 2 hot tubs.

Don’t forget that a Euopean cruise will be more port intensive that what I’m guessing you’ve been used to (Caribbean etc). It really is more about the historical and cultural destinations you’re visiting than the ship...........Don’t get me wrong, the ship is lovely!

In fact, the ‘Radiance’ class (of which both ‘Jewel’ & ‘Sarenade’ belong) is our favourite (certainly my wife’s favourite). So much so, that we are also doing a cruise on ‘Jewel’ this September to celebrate our anniversary (9 nights Greek Islands).

We can’t wait!! :)

Congrats on the booking and thanks for the info! Very helpful! You’re absolutely right by the way as I’ve been to Europe before but this is my first European cruise.