Mercury Mexican Riviera - Balcony - warm enough to use?

bryanwal

I've heard various reports about whether it was warm enough at Sea to get good use of the balcony on a Mexican Riviera Cruise. One friend said that even at the Mexican ports, while on land it was hot, on the water it was cool.

We will be sailing in February.

Is it too cool to use the balcony on the first day or two out of San Diego or the last day or two into San Diego?

Is the balcony pleasant or too cool in the various ports - Cabo, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan or Acapulco?

If anyone has been on this cruise, inquiring minds want to know!

- Bryan W

Oct 2000 Disney Magic - Eastern Caribbean

Jun 2002 Disney Magic - Western Caribbean

Jul 2004 HAL Oosterdam - Alaska

Feb 2005 Celebrity Mercury - Mexican Riviera

Protect your PC!

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/default.asp

We have cruised the mex riv. in Feb., Nov., and Dec. Feb had the warmer weather. We used the balcony alot on the feb cruise. Used it just a little on the dec. cruise. (didnt have one on the nov.)

You will use it. In ports it may even be a little too hot to sit out there when the ship is not moving!

Lets Go!

Royal's Viking Seranade 1/94

Carnival, Holiday, CHristmas/95

Carnival, Jubilee, Christmas/96

Royal's, Song of America 11/98

Celebrity Galaxy 9/99

Royal's, Viking Seranade 6/00

Celebrity, Millennium,Christmas/00

Royal's Vision 2/02

Royal's Vision,Christmas/02

Royal's Monarch 6/03

Celebrity Galaxy 9/17/04 !!

I am thinking about roundtrip out of San Francisco in the middle of April. (to Esenada, Santa Barbara, San Jose etc)

I've never been on the West Coast and have no idea what would weather be like. Can somebody help me, please?

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Zuiderdam 8/21/04 FLL - Key West - Cozumel - Grand Caymans - Half Moon Cay - FLL

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

This is a tough one because I swear the weather in this area is doing some strange changes. With that said I'll proceed. SF in mid April can be from the low 60's to the mid 70's. The further south you go the warmer it will get. Monterey can be an exception if there is fog. Towards Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego it should be definately warmer, unless of course the weather pulls a surprise. Hope this was a little helpful. icon_eek.gif

Norway 08/02

Rhapsody of the Seas 09/03

Mercury 9/3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;9;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We're looking forward to it. In any case, anything should be warmer and sunnier than Seattle in February, even if it won't be the Carribean!

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pacificlander:

This is a tough one because I swear the weather in this area is doing some strange changes. With that said I'll proceed. SF in mid April can be from the low 60's to the mid 70's. The further south you go the warmer it will get. Monterey can be an exception if there is fog. Towards Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego it should be definately warmer, unless of course the weather pulls a surprise. Hope this was a little helpful. icon_eek.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much. icon_smile.gif

Another questions... Do you have any idea if ports in these places are close to cities/towns.

The reason I am asking is during my Med cruise some ports (Chivetavecchia(sp?) and Livorno) were far from respective cities (Rome and Florence)... I would prefer being closer to sightseeing. icon_smile.gif

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Zuiderdam 8/21/04 FLL - Key West - Cozumel - Grand Caymans - Half Moon Cay - FLL

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

GO BRUINS!!!!

Except for Ixtapa, which is a taxi ride away, you'll be right in the ports. In Cabo you tender in to the port - it is a walk to get into town, but there are taxis there if you can't walk. In Acapulco you should dock right under the Fort (good museum) and can walk everywhere - if you want a taxi, don't take it from the port but walk a little into town and hail an old VW bus taxi - much less expensive. At Puerto Vallarta you are in port or tendering in - there is a local bus to town a few blocks away. At Mazatlan you are in port - there are taxis by the entrance to the port, and last fall there was a tour of the town at the pier for $15 or so each. Did I miss any? Nancy

I am sorry...I think we'll have different marchrute.

It's listed under Mexico but it's actually:

SF - Monterrey - Santa Barbara - San Jose - Catalina - Esenada - SF.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

GO BRUINS!!!!

Tatka, almost all of your itinerary, except for Ensenada is in California, not Mexico.

April can be pretty unpredictable, but it is likely that your temperatures will be in the 60’s or 70’s during the day, probably into the 50’s at night. It is also likely to be windy that time of year on the water. Since you are not really going too far south, it is probably not going to get up into the 80’s that time of year. Of course, we have been known to have heat waves in April when it has been in the 90’s, so be sure to take a pair of shorts if you go.

For Monterey and, I believe, Santa Barbara, you will probably tender to shore. You will be right in town for Monterey. The city of Santa Barbara is, I believe, a little way away from the port, but no more than a taxi ride. I have absolutely no idea where they are going to take you for San Jose, but the city is not on the water. Catalina Island is a little over 20 mi. off the Coast from Los Angeles. You will tender right into the city of Avalon. There are a lot of tours you can take into the interior of the Island which is still pretty much unspoiled. For Ensenada, you will dock right in the city.

Linda

Do you go to San Jose del Cabo? That's a real Mexican town - nice old church and area around there - we often take the local bus there from Cabo San Lucas. Oh, and in Acapulco, I meant VW bug - must have buses on the brain. Nancy

No problem! You will like San Diego. The dock is convenient to everything. There is good public transportation including a trolley. I work in San Diego and love to see the ships in port. Weather should be in the 60's or 70's.

Linda

For Bryanwal: When in February are you cruising on the Mercury? We just booked our very first Celebrity cruise for Feb. 28th TODAY! We are so excited! Just beginning to read the Celebrity boards and thinking about the ports.

Joy

Sensation, 2/20/2000

NCL Sky, 3/4/2001

Grandeur, 2/20/2002

NCL Sky, 9/1/2002

NCL Norway, 2/2/2003

NCL Star, 4/6/2003

NCL Star, 1/25/2004

Oh, we just missed you! We're cruising on the 18th because that's over the kids' winter break (with cheating by taking them out a day early and a day late). So we get back to San Diego on the 28th.

It will be our first Celebrity cruise, too, of course. The ports look interesting - not the same old same old of the Caribbean ports, but a truly different flavor at each one. We definitely want to go horseback riding in Mazatlan with Randi's Happy Horses - on the beach under the coconut trees! Puerto Vallarta has a beautiful beach break. I'd like to get some history and culture somewhere, too - maybe in Acapulco.

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

bryanwal...We are on your cruise! Feb. 18th Mercury?

So far we only have a few folks signed up for the Connections gathering. If you would like to find other cruise critics going with us here is a short cut to the link...

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=9243096327&m=7483057577

It is still early. I am sure there will be lots more closer to the cruise icon_smile.gif

we usually book balconies However after booking our 2/28 Mexico cruise i notice that the premium i was paying for the balcony over the best non balcony was $800 i never paid more than $200 in the past. Cancelled the balcony not worth it unless you Dont plan on leaving your cabin

Bryan,

Please tell me about Randi's Happy Horses. I want to do some horseback riding while on the 12-6 Mercury Mexico cruise. How do I get in touch with them or find out more information about them? Also, tell me about the beautiful beach break in Puerto Vallarta. This is our first Celebrity cruise and our first balcony cabin..... CAN'T WAIT!!

Peggy

Paradise 5/11/03 & 5/18/03

Mercury 12/6/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;12;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

They have a website: http://www.mazinfo.com/horsebackride/

with pictures and instructions. Several people who have taken Mexican Riviera cruises have posted reports about their positive experience with the excursion. It is not booked through the ship but must be booked in advance on your own. They pick you up at the ship and take you to their coconut plantation where you ride through the grove and on the beach.

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

The beach break is at Las Caletas. You can see their website at http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/english/las_caletas.html

This excursion can be booked through Celebrity. Again, I have seen several reports talking about the beauty of the spot, the variety of activities, etc.

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

Thanks Bryan!! The websites are just what I was looking for. On our Caribbean cruise last year, the best shore excursions we did were the ones we booked prior to departure. The service was excellent and the tours were the highlights of our trip. If you know of any more in the other ports, let me know.

Peggy

Paradise 5/11/03 & 5/18/03

Mercury 12/6/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;12;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived