Just booked Ovation for Alaska in June of 19 in 2 bedroom Grand Suite!! First time!

HI!! I'm so excited! I have a family of 6 and we have wanted to do an Alaskan cruise forever. Today I pulled the trigger! Since it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity I went ahead and booked the 2 bedroom Grand Suite. I seriously can't wait. Any tips on Alaska, the 2 bedroom Suite, cruising with little ones (11,7,4 and 2) or the Ovation of the Sea I'm open ears. My husband and I have been on 2 Carnival Cruises and the family has done 2 Disney Cruises. This is our first Royal Caribbean and I'm so excited about all the cool things the ship offers. Thanks in advance!

Congrats, sounds amazing. We will not be on Ovation until this coming April so I can't give any tips on the ship. As for Alaska, if it is a once in a lifetime trip don't skimp on the excursions. You want to see it all,

We went back in August 2016 and I did a live blog. Here is a link to it that may give you ideas of what to do in the ports. Have a great time. :D

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2390859

No info to impart, but I'll share in your excitement! Just booked for June 2019 on Ovation in Alaska as well, for myself and my daughter (9 at sailing). Wonder if we are on the same sailing...

I've sailed Disney twice, NCL 3 or 4 times, Princess a couple times, Carnival 3 times (I think), and Celebrity once. Phew - I should pick a line and stick with it!

There will probably be excursions that your youngest can’t do (either by temperament or because of booking restrictions). Don’t be afraid to separate your party if this is your one shot at Alaska. We ultimately chose not to send our two year old on a whale watching trip, which was the right decision for us. I stayed with her on the ship, and we had a blast while my parents and husband enjoyed whale watching without corralling a toddler. If you have lots of time in port, you might be able to switch off and do different excursions.

Also, if you are visiting Skagway, they have a great public playground that my DD loved. It was a good way for her to burn off some energy off the ship.

Ovation is a great ship and Alaska is amazing. There is so much to do! Your older kids will probably love the bumper cars. 360 is also a great hangout space to relax, watch the waves, have a drink and enjoy snacks or meals from the cafe. The only thing you will wish you had was an extra week to enjoy Alaska and the ship.

No info to impart, but I'll share in your excitement! Just booked for June 2019 on Ovation in Alaska as well, for myself and my daughter (9 at sailing). Wonder if we are on the same sailing...

I've sailed Disney twice, NCL 3 or 4 times, Princess a couple times, Carnival 3 times (I think), and Celebrity once. Phew - I should pick a line and stick with it!

We are on the June 14 sailing. Junior suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please check your itinerary to make sure that this one satisfies your priorities. The Ovation visits only two Alaska ports, which is one of the most limited Alaska experiences you could find. Almost all the other ships visit at least 3 Alaska ports. Also, Endicott Arm is not nearly as scenic as Tracy Arm, nor does it offer the extensive glacier viewing of Glacier Bay. If this will be your only visit to Alaska, then make sure that these itinerary deficiencies do not leave you regretting what you missed.

Please check your itinerary to make sure that this one satisfies your priorities. The Ovation visits only two Alaska ports, which is one of the most limited Alaska experiences you could find. Almost all the other ships visit at least 3 Alaska ports. Also, Endicott Arm is not nearly as scenic as Tracy Arm, nor does it offer the extensive glacier viewing of Glacier Bay. If this will be your only visit to Alaska, then make sure that these itinerary deficiencies do not leave you regretting what you missed.

This is our third trip to alaska so we have done the other ports. Doing this for the ship as much as anything else.

oh yay!! We're on the June 14th. My oldest daughter will be 10 at sailing. If you're on our ship maybe they'll run into each other. We are so excited. We've always wanted to try RCI. And I'm super excited about Alaska!!

There will probably be excursions that your youngest can’t do (either by temperament or because of booking restrictions). Don’t be afraid to separate your party if this is your one shot at Alaska. We ultimately chose not to send our two year old on a whale watching trip, which was the right decision for us. I stayed with her on the ship, and we had a blast while my parents and husband enjoyed whale watching without corralling a toddler. If you have lots of time in port, you might be able to switch off and do different excursions.

Also, if you are visiting Skagway, they have a great public playground that my DD loved. It was a good way for her to burn off some energy off the ship.

Thanks for the information. My kids will love the playground so i'll have to check that out for sure. As far as the excursion advice thanks!! We've usually taken all the kids on all trips excursioun and for the most part been fine. DS went on a Disney cruise at 4 months and did everything and then he was a little over 1 when we went to Hawaii and did great. As of now my 9 month old DD seems to be as chill as him, but we'll for sure have to wait until close to decide if we think she'll be good!!

I hate to burst the bubble of those that are so excited to go on the Ovation to Alaska BUT I think you are going on it just to enjoy the ship as it is not a good Alaska itinerary at all. No good glacier viewing at all.

Don't know why they put the really great ships doing round trip Seattle. It makes people think "Oh, Wow " I am going on an Alaska cruise where their cruise hardly sees anything of Alaska.

People just say "I am going to Alaska" but they don't examine the itinerary very closely.

We will be going June 28 for our 49th anniversary and have a grand suite. We have been to Alaska before so mainly going for the ship. We're planning on going in June 2020 again for our 50th anniversary and will do either RC or Celebrity with either a 12 or 13 night cruise tour.

I have to agree with Poolwife regarding the Ovation not having a very good Alaskan itinerary.

The best way to do Alaska is to fly to Anchorage and explore a bit up there on your own or do a cruisetour.

That way you get to see the REAL Alaska, not just the super crowded Skagway & Juneau.

All of the jewelry and souvenir shops from the Caribbean, move to those towns for the summer season, so

what you get is a great shopping experience.

Of course there are excursions to do outside of the towns, but there are better itineraries that you will see alot more.

We've done 2 Alaskan cruises, one was RT Vancouver and the 2nd southbound from Seward.

Second one was by far the best.

Now as far as the ship goes, we just got off a 12 night cruise on The Anthem down to the S. Caribbean.

We were in a Grand Suite and it was a great experience.

The Suite class on the Royal ships, spoil the heck out of you and although it is an expensive booking, makes you

feel like you got your money's worth.

AnnieSue, make sure that you use the Concierge Lounge. It is a fabulous quiet place to hang out to read or just

go and watch the great scenery from the huge windows.

Our suite was on the 12th deck where the lounge is and so it was very handy for us.

Also, make sure you eat as many meals as possible in the suite restaurant, Coastal Kitchen.

The food is fabulous there. You're paying alot for the suite, so make sure you use all that it includes.

If anything you'll have a great ship experience.

Hello!

Anyone on the June 14, 2019 sailing please join the roll call! My 2 oldest granddaughters will be with us-ages 3 and 7 by then.

We have been to Alaska, so granted we booked for the ship. Very disappointed to miss Ketchikan as the Misty Fiords are very appealing, as is Tracy Arm....googling Endicott Arm-looks quite beautiful....

:)

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be going June 28 for our 49th anniversary and have a grand suite. We have been to Alaska before so mainly going for the ship. We're planning on going in June 2020 again for our 50th anniversary and will do either RC or Celebrity with either a 12 or 13 night cruise tour.

I am booked on this date too. My wife and I went to Alaska a long time ago on HAL who had a great itinerary. It may not be the best itinerary but the quickest way I can get back to Alaska with young kids in tow.

Can’t wait to try all the ship has to offer.