Teen Activities Question

Since this will be our first time cruising with our kids we have never paid attention to any kids/teens programming before. We will have 4 teens ages 15-17 with us in April on Freedom. I assumed they could come and go at will from the teen club/activities. In looking at a previous Compass, I see on Day 1 there is an hour-long Teen Open House & Registration for ages 12-17. Do we need to go with them and register them if they intend to participate in any teen activities or at 15, 16 and 17 can they register themselves? If they don't go to that first hour, will they still be able to participate in teen activities listed in the Compass? I see a lot of activities listed for 15-17 year olds (time on the rock wall and FlowRider in particular) which will likely appeal to them since they would have some time with just their peers. I just want to be sure we/they do what is necessary to be able to participate when they want. Thanks in advance!

It's best to register at the appointed time...that's when EVERYONE is "new" and friendships are formed. Older teens do NOT use the club...they simply meet others in their age group, and go off and do their own thing. Best to "meet up" when everyone is new. I'd go with them, if it were me....just to see what they're getting into. They are certainly old enough to decide what they want to do....within the parameters of your rules!

If they don't register the 1st day....they can still participate...but most of the kids will have formed groups by then.....you remember how that works, don't you? Best to be there at the beginning.

Since this will be our first time cruising with our kids we have never paid attention to any kids/teens programming before. We will have 4 teens ages 15-17 with us in April on Freedom. I assumed they could come and go at will from the teen club/activities. In looking at a previous Compass, I see on Day 1 there is an hour-long Teen Open House & Registration for ages 12-17. Do we need to go with them and register them if they intend to participate in any teen activities or at 15, 16 and 17 can they register themselves? If they don't go to that first hour, will they still be able to participate in teen activities listed in the Compass? I see a lot of activities listed for 15-17 year olds (time on the rock wall and FlowRider in particular) which will likely appeal to them since they would have some time with just their peers. I just want to be sure we/they do what is necessary to be able to participate when they want. Thanks in advance!

I'd not miss the first night as there is orientation too, plus everyone is in the same boat (NPI) the first night it's easier to make friends.

Thank you. That all makes good sense to me. I just wasn't sure how it all worked. And, yes, I remember all too well how teenage group formations work. I'm kinda sad to hear the teens don't use the club. My 15 year old was looking forward to it since she was one month too young for the teen club when she was at Atlantis three years ago (the age limit there was 13 to get into the teen club) and everyone else could go. So she was looking forward to a club for teens on this trip. Oh well, I'm sure she won't miss it.

Thank you. That all makes good sense to me. I just wasn't sure how it all worked. And, yes, I remember all too well how teenage group formations work. I'm kinda sad to hear the teens don't use the club. My 15 year old was looking forward to it since she was one month too young for the teen club when she was at Atlantis three years ago (the age limit there was 13 to get into the teen club) and everyone else could go. So she was looking forward to a club for teens on this trip. Oh well, I'm sure she won't miss it.

What I've seen with my older teen kids, 15-17, is they'd meet first nite. Then all hang out together all around ship, might go to WindJammer for lunch or dinner together, moved in Packs...

Edited by ONECRUISER

We've been on two cruise when my daughter was a "teen", one when she was 12 and another when she was 14 (almost 15). When she was 12 we were on a cruise in October - not a time when there was a lot of kids so we were told the may mix the older teens with the younger for some activities which I wasn't too thrilled about. Turned out she met a real nice girl her age and they hung out at the pool and around the ship for the week and they didn't go to very many scheduled activities. Make sure you set rules for what they can and can't do. Our three big rules where (1) no one was allowed in our room nor was she allowed to go into anyone else's room(we relaxed that rule towards the end of the cruise as we got to know the girl and her family). (2) no running around in the "hotel" portion of the ship -down the halls extra, and (3) always get a fresh drink if she leaves hers unattended for any length of times, such as to get in the pool.

On our last cruise, several of the teens thought it was fun to push all the buttons on the elevator so that it stopped at every floor, fortunately my daughter knew better than to do that.

(1) no one was allowed in our room nor was she allowed to go into anyone else's room(we relaxed that rule towards the end of the cruise as we got to know the girl and her family). (2) no running around in the "hotel" portion of the ship -down the halls extra, and (3) always get a fresh drink if she leaves hers unattended for any length of times, such as to get in the pool.

Our kids are well traveled and these rules you have mentioned (#1 and 3) are some of our basics no matter where we are. Your #2 is on my list of expectations for this cruise along with regular check-ins and curfews. My kids would be completely annoyed with anyone who pushed all the elevator buttons (or any extras). I can't imagine a teen who thinks that's a good time, but I'm sure they're out there. That kind of behavior would get my kids chained to my side for the duration. By this age, they know how to behave and what is expected.