Since the Hurricane, anyone been to Cozumel/Grand Caymen?

elemon

My son and GF just returned yesterday from a Carnival cruise. Grand Caymen is fine but poor Cozumel is ruined. He said there are no trees or vegetation of any kind left on the island and all the buildings are just skeltons being rebuilt. There is still alot of debreis being cleaned up. The docking pier sufferd enough damage to make it necessary to tender in. He did say the shops are open at the pier and they went to a ship sponsered beach and that was fine.

I am going on the Grand Princess to the Western Caribbean late January and just heard from someone that Cozumel is "not good" since the hurricane. Anyone been there?

You'll get a good idea from the "Ports of Call" board for Cozumel. You'll find it in the drop down menu near the bottom of this web page. Here's a short cut:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Another good source for Coz info:

http://mytravelboard.com/cozumel/

I just returned from the Grand Princess and we went to both places.

Grand Cayman seems to be fine, very busy, plenty of shopping, beautiful waters, the whole nine yards.

Cozumel is a bit of a different story. While there is still plenty of shopping, warm sun and good food, the beaches, vegitation and many shops are so sad looking. The shopping area around the pier is up and running and looking good, minus the acutal piers. Fat Tuesdays was hopping and the margaritas flowing!

We took a cab into the city a bit further, towards Carlos N Charlies and saw much more destruction, rubble and rebuilding. The cab driver said that Carlos N Charlie's is due to open this week or next and there were a lot of shops open but still working to rebuild to full beauty.

Just back from the Grand 12/10 cruise. I would not go to Cozumel again if it was free - vendors are desparate for sales and act it. Snorkeling was OK, but have seen better. Vegetation is gone and so are lots of buildings. I would give it time to repair itself and knowing the area that will take many years. Grand Cayman was a welcome port after vendors in Belize.

I booked this cruise because I wanted to sail from Galveston and am glad I did, but the port of Cozumel was not the main draw for me. I would fly back to Costa Maya in a heartbeat. Unspoiled and beautiful. Maya Palms resort was top notch, expecially if you are into diving.

Archived