Can you book a room that will sleep 3 if there are only 2 of you?

Envelope21

We recently spoke with a Carnival agent about booking a 2 OV cabins for 4 people (2 in each cabin). We selected these rooms because they were close to each other. The agent said that he was required to tell us that since these rooms technically could hold 3 people each, that Carnival could switch our reservation to another location if later on down the road, a group of 3 needed a room and there were none available.

I was very surprised at this policy. We were not booking a Guarantee room. How can they arbitrarily just take it away from you after you've booked it?

Has anyone experienced this before? I have a feeling that the agent was incorrect.

We were able to find two other cabins that were close together that did not have the 3-person capacity, so we are good to go. But I thought the policy was rather odd.

Our friends had same issue bc they need 2 cabins for the parents and 3 older boys. Would only put them in cabin meant for that number of people. I guess business decision to get most people on board possible...

We recently spoke with a Carnival agent about booking a 2 OV cabins for 4 people (2 in each cabin). We selected these rooms because they were close to each other. The agent said that he was required to tell us that since these rooms technically could hold 3 people each, that Carnival could switch our reservation to another location if later on down the road, a group of 3 needed a room and there were none available.

I was very surprised at this policy. We were not booking a Guarantee room. How can they arbitrarily just take it away from you after you've booked it?

Has anyone experienced this before? I have a feeling that the agent was incorrect.

We were able to find two other cabins that were close together that did not have the 3-person capacity, so we are good to go. But I thought the policy was rather odd.

It happens all the time. The occupancy regs once set cannot be changed (upward), so if the ship is at or above occupancy (the 2 per cabin rate), they would be unable to add a third to a room that is designated as two. The only way around that would be to take a 3 person room that only has two occupants in it for the 3 person need.

It has zero to do with how you booked the room. I took your question as to how they can do it as rhetorical, let me know if you need more detail.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

7(g) of the Ticket Contract

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Wow. Thanks everybody. I wonder if this is specific to Carnival. We just booked a Family Ocean View cabin on NCL. It supposedly sleeps 5. It has more square footage than a regular OV cabin. Its for a 14-day Transatlantic and we just wanted the extra room to be able to spread out. These cabins are higher priced that a regular OV cabin. It seems to me if you pay for a room in that category, you should receive a room in that category, regardless of how many people occupy it. I will see what I can find out from NCL and post back here. Again, thanks for the input.

It is not an arbitrary policy, and not exclusive to Carnival. If you book a room for 3 and there are only 2 of you, the cruise line is losing out on additional fare for 3rd person.

If a ship is close to being fully booked, they will start looking at cabins that are at less than maximum occupancy and make adjustments.

While they can move you, I've personally never had it happen - we are almost always in a room that could sleep more than just the two of us. Then again, we usually book late in the game, on obviously underbooked cruises because we mostly sail when it's cheap. I assume the chances of being moved are much higher if it's a full cruise.

Just a follow up, I spoke with the cruise line where I booked the Family Oceanview room and addressed my concerns about being moved to another cabin. They said that in this case, all the rooms in that category can sleep 5 and since I booked and paid for that category, they cannot move me, except to a higher category. If anything happens, I'll follow up again. Thanks to all who responded.

Sometimes Carnival "allows" you to book a cabin that holds more people than you you are booking for and sometimes they don't. It all depends on the particular sailing. I don't know how they determine that but I assume it's by how they expect each sailing to sell and whether or not there will be lots of kids on board. A sailing during spring break for example would have lots of kids so they would need more triples and quads so probably wouldn't allow 2 people to book a quad. Last year when I was booked on the Dream sailing in February, they weren't allowing parties of 1 or 2 book triples or quads until a few months before the cruise, then all of a sudden they opened up ALL cabins to be able to be booked by 1 or 2. Like others have said though, they do reserve the right to move people for ANY reason. I have personally never seen it happen though but I know it has.

I have always understood that you can lose a cabin if only two of you and a party of three needs it but in all my cruises it has never happened . We sailed in November 2016 and had 11 cabins, each with only two people and they were mostly Oceanview with King/twin beds and a couch. We really like this cabin when it's two of us. When my husband and I cruised in October we had a two person cabin and it seemed smaller, but was still suitable for us. Also in the summer, we took one of the two person cabins and swapped it out with another group in our party that had three as they wee able to room together. The only other time was this last November the cruise was full and we were not able to add a fourth person to a balcony nor could we add a third person to Oceanview. Very limited cabins on that cruise from end of September on . They only had cabins for two without the couch. No more of any cabin besides two person or suites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it’s low season, you’ll most likely not be moved. If it’s high season they wouldn’t have let you book it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was my experience trying to book two connecting cabins for three pax each.

An agent we were dealing with told us we would be able to book two connecting oceanview cabins on deck 5 of the Sunshine each with a max 4 occupancy. We were not able to book into them. By the time we went back to grab a pair of connecting cabins on the Riviera Deck, all the 3 pax pairs were gone so we were not able to book connecting rooms, even though some pairs of 4 pax were available.

We are now in side by side 3 pax cabins.

This is a March break cruise so definitely high season.

While they can move you, I've personally never had it happen - we are almost always in a room that could sleep more than just the two of us. Then again, we usually book late in the game, on obviously underbooked cruises because we mostly sail when it's cheap. I assume the chances of being moved are much higher if it's a full cruise.

This has been our experience as well.... but since I retired we never cruise at times when school is out so the cruises we opt for aren't packed.

We also book through our gem of a private travel agent and not online or with a Carnival employee.

We were moved from a cabin on Celebrity; found out when we were checking in at the pier.

Still pissed off about it.

Yes, the cruise lines(all of them) can change your cabin for any reason at any time as long as it is the same category or higher.

We were moved from a cabin on Celebrity; found out when we were checking in at the pier.

Still pissed off about it.

Yes, the cruise lines(all of them) can change your cabin for any reason at any time as long as it is the same category or higher.

Wow. Thanks for the info. We have been on over 40 cruises and have never had that happen. Even with about half of them being booked as a GTY. We haven't been particularly picky about cabin location, but on this particular Carnival cruise, I'm going with 3 friends, rather than DH, so we wanted to get our rooms as close together as possible.

I guess I should be grateful that the Carnival agent explained to me that we could possibly be moved since our cabins technically could sleep 3 each. Luckily I found two cabins that only slept two each and were adjoining rooms,

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Wow. Didn't know that they can move you after you book a specific room cabin #, based on & after you fully research the best avail cabin for your needs, ie: you want a room sandwiched between cabins above & below, away from elevators, etc...

Now cruise line moves you to another equivalent or better catagory, but it's right above the disco, or right below the buffet or pool where you'll hear chairs scraping all day. Isn't that why you pay more/extra to be able to pick your own cabin, instead of just guaranteed any assigned room...?

Wow. Didn't know that they can move you after you book a specific room cabin #, based on & after you fully research the best avail cabin for your needs, ie: you want a room sandwiched between cabins above & below, away from elevators, etc...

Now cruise line moves you to another equivalent or better catagory, but it's right above the disco, or right below the buffet or pool where you'll hear chairs scraping all day. Isn't that why you pay more/extra to be able to pick your own cabin, instead of just guaranteed any assigned room...?

Yes and no. Yes you pay more to have a room that fits your needs better, NO, with the knowledge that if that you do not meet the room occupancy and there is need for it, you will be moved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk