Purchasing Alcohol at Port and bringing on ship

rissawey2015

Not sure where you live, but the 1.75 is about $18-19 in Maryland, so that sounds about right.

FL... Jax.... Cruzan Rum..... Not many know about it? The Cruzan, were natives on St Croix I believe. The rum dates back to the pirate days.... pre JB, oh my.....:):) No wonder I am grooggggyyy! snoozin...

So if I buy some rum am I allowed to bring it back on the ship? We are doing a western Caribbean cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

bring it back on the ship ... yes

they will take it and tag it and you can get it back at the end of the cruise.

I'm not a drinker so I've never bought alcohol at ports in past cruises. But, my brother in law wants me to pick up some sort of alcohol he really likes. What is the process of bringing it on board from port? (Montego Bay) and is there anything I need to do special? We are on a 7 day cruise out of Galveston in April. I understand at some point when you get back on the ship they take it and give it back the night you leave. Just looking for additional info!

Sent from my Z982 using Forums mobile app

We're not big drinkers either but we got a killer deal on some Kahlua on our last cruise. We bought it on the ship, actually. They delivered it to us in really good packaging that made it easier to pack.

Known brands are pretty much a wash IMO and for the most part not worth the hassle of buying on vacation and then having to pack it back up for plane travel.

I get the 1.75 liter of Appelton/Jwray rum for $18.99 at ABC liquor. Bacardi is similar, maybe even a little less. Cruzan is dirt cheap. Skyy Vodka (which I don’t drink) is often under $20 for the 1.75 bottle

Sure I can get 2 liters of Bacardi for $20 on the ship or maybe even a little less . . . .but that seems like a hassle for such a minor cost difference.

I caught the liter bottles of Grand Marnier and Cointreau like 2 for $40 like a year ago on the ship . . That was a good deal as they tend to run double that price stateside. Stuff like White Hennessy which is impossible to find locally without a price gouge is good to bring back.

I encourage you to price check local stores first before attempting to bring back popular brands thinking you are getting a great deal.

Known brands are pretty much a wash IMO and for the most part not worth the hassle of buying on vacation and then having to pack it back up for plane travel.

I get the 1.75 liter of Appelton/Jwray rum for $18.99 at ABC liquor. Bacardi is similar, maybe even a little less. Cruzan is dirt cheap. Skyy Vodka (which I don’t drink) is often under $20 for the 1.75 bottle

Sure I can get 2 liters of Bacardi for $20 on the ship or maybe even a little less . . . .but that seems like a hassle for such a minor cost difference.

I caught the liter bottles of Grand Marnier and Cointreau like 2 for $40 like a year ago on the ship . . That was a good deal as they tend to run double that price stateside. Stuff like White Hennessy which is impossible to find locally without a price gouge is good to bring back.

I encourage you to price check local stores first before attempting to bring back popular brands thinking you are getting a great deal.

What is Jwray rum? :confused: Appelton I know, good, but has little"bite" IMHO!:)

BTW, Cruzan, is smoother than most rums we have tasted over 40 or so years... cheap.. maybe, but very good...

That is until you get to $100 or so bottles??;) Sippin rum for sure.

That is all good to know thank you. Would like to take something back to Canada as its so expensive here, and my sister is coming and likes a little tipple. Would have been ideal to buy some in the couple of days we have in FL before the cruise...but of course cant take it on the ship. Coming back we dock, and have a flight the same day back home. Seems if we want to purchase some our only option is to ask a cab driver to stop off somewhere on the way to the airport? Alcohol is very expensive here. Possibly $34 for a regular bottle. Thanks for the advice.

What is Jwray rum? :confused: Appelton I know, good, but has little"bite" IMHO!:)

BTW, Cruzan, is smoother than most rums we have tasted over 40 or so years... cheap.. maybe, but very good...

That is until you get to $100 or so bottles??;) Sippin rum for sure.

Jwray is the “rebrand” of the traditional Appleton Rum that goes for cheap. New color scheme, updated branding.

The Appleton name was kept for the higher end Appleton rums (Appleton estate for example).

For me, its a good “mixing rum”. Punches, egg nog, mixed drinks, etc . . . Definitely not a sipping rum but I prefer it to standard Bacardi and even Mount Gay.

That is all good to know thank you. Would like to take something back to Canada as its so expensive here, and my sister is coming and likes a little tipple. Would have been ideal to buy some in the couple of days we have in FL before the cruise...but of course cant take it on the ship. Coming back we dock, and have a flight the same day back home. Seems if we want to purchase some our only option is to ask a cab driver to stop off somewhere on the way to the airport? Alcohol is very expensive here. Possibly $34 for a regular bottle. Thanks for the advice.

I mean you can buy it pre cruise and then just hand it over when you check in and get it back before your cruise ends.

But in your case I would take advantage of ports and ship to do my alcohol shopping. My advice is mainly for people who have these known stores locally and looking to save a bunch of money on everyday brands . . . There just isn’t a huge savings difference IMO.

I mean you can buy it pre cruise and then just hand it over when you check in and get it back before your cruise ends.

But in your case I would take advantage of ports and ship to do my alcohol shopping. My advice is mainly for people who have these known stores locally and looking to save a bunch of money on everyday brands . . . There just isn’t a huge savings difference IMO.

Thanks. Didnt realize Carnival would let me hand it and and keep it so thats good. We found ship prices to be very high so do you think I should look at some of the ports then?

Thanks. Didnt realize Carnival would let me hand it and and keep it so thats good. We found ship prices to be very high so do you think I should look at some of the ports then?

Carnival will match the prices of anything you find in port. You just need to take a picture of it, or bring the stores flyer

the trick...the workers in the shop will try to stop you,if they see you trying to take a picture, so you just have to be quick lol.

Carnival will match the prices of anything you find in port. You just need to take a picture of it, or bring the stores flyer

the trick...the workers in the shop will try to stop you,if they see you trying to take a picture, so you just have to be quick lol.

Right good to know. Could try that then.

Don't believe they allow this anymore. As I understand it, if you bring it on at embarkation and they spot it during screening, they will confiscate it and it will not be returned.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :):)

Don't believe they allow this anymore. As I understand it, if you bring it on at embarkation and they spot it during screening, they will confiscate it and it will not be returned.

Correct this is the policy

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cansor cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Forums mobile app

Ok thanks for that. Need to buy it in port then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow did not realize they changed this.

We're not big drinkers either but we got a killer deal on some Kahlua on our last cruise. We bought it on the ship, actually. They delivered it to us in really good packaging that made it easier to pack.

If you like Kahlua, try getting Sheridans from the ship liquor store. I cannot find it anywhere except Canada and Cruising, so I tell people I cruise so I can get Sheridans.

Problem is, CCL onboard liquor stores, don't carry most of the kinds you will find in port. They carry a few top brands of different liquors onboard, but matching prices.... Good luck, there is a very limited liquor selection on CCL ships.

Check onboard pricing before you purchase in port. Then, if it's TS liquor you are purchasing...take CCL up on the price match, if you can get the pic...:)

My sister likes rum, vodka, Bacardi, whiskey, that I know of. Was just going to buy some for her to drink while she is staying with us. She mixes it with soda, so not that fussy, lol. Think the port would be the best place then?

Edited by Johnny60
spelling