Awesome Spoon Food Tour

MImomAnne

Just back from a cruise. Did the Old San Juan Walk and Taste Tour and it was excellent! Can’t say enough about how great the whole experience with Spoon Food Tours was for the entire group. We tasted delicious food, learned some interesting history and saw some beautiful sights. I highly recommend this company. Our guide was knowledgeable, funny, interesting and kind. Food allergies were handled well. After the official tour ended, he walked us to a shop that sells local items, per our request. The next time we cruise to San Juan, we will book another tour with Spoon Food Tours. Google them to look at all tours available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just back from a cruise. Did the Old San Juan Walk and Taste Tour and it was excellent! Can’t say enough about how great the whole experience with Spoon Food Tours was for the entire group. We tasted delicious food, learned some interesting history and saw some beautiful sights. I highly recommend this company. Our guide was knowledgeable, funny, interesting and kind. Food allergies were handled well. After the official tour ended, he walked us to a shop that sells local items, per our request. The next time we cruise to San Juan, we will book another tour with Spoon Food Tours. Google them to look at all tours available.

Happy to hear you had a great time, we are touring with Spoon Foods end of this month.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did. Just remember that they are on local time not ship time.

I know that it is stated on the confirmation as well as the website, but we almost skipped over that part.

Yes, I have that highlighted on my confirmation.

Patty

We started out with delicious beautiful coffee and a ham and cheese bite from Don Ruiz. Honestly the best coffee I have had. Then a sweet treat and water from La Tortuga. After that we had mofongo, my favorite, but I do not recall the name of the restaurant. We next stopped for a pork dish with bean and rice. We had the tastiest spicy pineapple sauce (on the side) and a refreshing cocktail. Sorry, but I do not remember the name of that restaurant either, but everything was so good! We stopped for a frozen ice cream on a stick at Senior Paleta. In between all of this lovely food was a lot of history and culture. My son's fit bit said that we walked about 3 miles on the tour. My group took a taxi from the cruise ship port to the meeting place as we were concerned about time. It was a wonderful tour and we will book again with Spoon Food Tours the next time we are in Puerto Rico. After the tour, our guide walked us back to a store that we were interested in, as it sells local items. We also later visited a brewery that he had pointed out on the tour, La Taberna Lupulo. They had a large beer menu, full bar, good snacks, nice bathroom and great internet connection.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did. Just remember that they are on local time not ship time.

I know that it is stated on the confirmation as well as the website, but we almost skipped over that part.

What does it mean? Local time vs ship time. We are looking for something to do during our time in SJ. We will be on a back to back disney Cruise and the day the cruises switch passengers is when we will be in SJ. i wonder if we will have time before we have to be back on the ship by 2. [emoji848]

Oh goodness, the total cost would be $252 for the three of us to take this tour. I don’t think we would even touch eating that much in food. Doesn’t seem worth it.

That’s a lot of cheaper than I thought it would be.

Oh goodness, the total cost would be $252 for the three of us to take this tour. I don’t think we would even touch eating that much in food. Doesn’t seem worth it.

The food is just part of the tour. IMHO it is a tour about the history and culture of Puerto Rico by an educated, well spoken guide, with local food and drink included. But, if you are only interested in a food tour without history or walking they may be able to accommodate you on a private tour.

Our tour was 3+ hours. Our tour guide asked our time constraints at the beginning of the tour and we were all from the same ship with a generous time frame.

Another question was about ship time vs local time. Puerto Rico is on Atlantic Standard time. Carnival ship time was Eastern Standard Time. I am not sure what other ships do and it has been so many years since I was on a Disney cruise, that I can't help with the time change question. You may be able to find out from the cruise line what time zone they use for their ship time clock.

We’ve done one of their food tours and loved it! Has anyone tried one of their private food tours?

I haven't yet, but if my parents come with us this year, I am considering it. They are in their mid 80's in good health and active, but it may be easier for us to do a customized drive around and walking tour. Is that what you did? Or was it walking only? Thanks

So glad to read your review. We will be in SJ for a day prior to our cruise embarking and we planned to take this tour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to be of help. My whole group was very impressed by the tour. It was fun and interactive, not boring or stuffy.