July 2018 Alaska Cruise Norwegian - Help me make the best plans possible, please :)

1stTIMECRUZER

:confused: I've been reading posts and trip reviews for months but would like some help from anyone willing.

I will cross post this on the Alaska board as well. Hopefully that's ok. :D

This will be our 3rd Norwegian cruise. 5th cruise overall. Two of us traveling.

Norwegian Jewel - Chose the Norwegian small ship option in hopes of getting as close to glaciers as possible.

7/21 Flying into Seattle to take in the sights. Should arrive around 10 am if all goes as planned. What's your favorite hotel accessible via the Link close to things such as the Space Needle, glass museum, Pikes Market? We are able to walk several blocks or Uber. We don't plan to rent a car. We will spend at least one night or two in Seattle. Is it easy to find the Link at SEA-TAC? I'm assuming we just follow the signs? This is not a train you need to make reservations for, right? Cost? Just buy a ticket and hop on?

7/22 or 7/23 We cruise out of Vancouver on the 23rd. We are planning to take the train between Seattle and Vancouver. I'm assuming there's only one train option? Amtrak Cascades - 4hr route - Choices either 7-11 pm or 7:45 to 11:45 am. Has anyone done this recently? What's the cost? I'm assuming reservations are recommended? Safe to take the morning train the day we cruise or better to go the day before? I think I read some reviews that indicate it's generally always on time....but if it wasn't, yikes!

7/23 4pm Cruise out of Vancouver British Columbia - Is the port called Canada Place? Does the train arrive near the port? If we plan to stay a night in Vancouver, what's the best option for a hotel that's near the port? If we have time to sight see in Vancouver, what do you recommend?

I'm overwhelmed and needs some help narrowing down excursions in the ports. Whale watching is very high on my list. I think hubby might love the Deadliest Catch excursion. He's watched that show for years so would probably enjoy that. Have you done it and did you think it was worthwhile? We can hike and that's neither high or low on our list of things to do. We have a bit of OBC that would probably cover one excursion through Norwegian so if you have an idea of the "best" one to do through Norwegian, I'm all ears. The dining and beverage packages came with our cruise so won't need the $$ for that.

7/24 Inside Passage

7/25 Ketchikan 7am to 4 pm - Favorite things to do and with what tour company? I have several things on my list for this port including the Deadliest Catch tour.

7/26 Juneau 11 am to 9 pm - Is this the best port for whale watching tours? As mentioned above, I really want to see whales but would also like to make it to Mendenhall Glacier. Have you used Juneau tours for the combined excursion and how did it go? Other recommendations? Does our time in port allow for it plus a bit of sight seeing in town? Looks like NCL has a whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier tour so maybe this is the one we need to do through NCL??

7/27 Skagway 8 am to 8 pm - White Pass Railroad or Chilkoot? Your thoughts? If you can share contact information, great! What else in Skagway? Emerald Lake? We've hiked miles and seen some beautiful lakes in the Rockies. Is Emerald Lake a must see? Does Chilkoot go there?

7/28 Cruise Glacier Bay - Time frame says overnight....will it be light? Just wondering what we'll see if anything. We do have a balcony cabin.

7/29 Cruise Hubbard Glacier - Praying for good weather! :)

7/30 Seward 5 am - Ok, this is where I really need some help. The tentative plan is a DIY land tour from here and fly home from Fairbanks on Friday 8/3 or Saturday 8/4. We want to go to Denali but hit some sights along the way. What is "must see" in Seward before we head north? Can we rent a car out of Seward or is the best option for car rental in Anchorage? I know there's a train to Anchorage but haven't looked at the times yet. Or, would you do it all via train vs rental car. I'm open to ideas although I think we'll want to stop here and there which makes me think we'll want a car. It doesn't appear there are many roads so getting lost shouldn't be a big issue. Right? Seems that flying home from Fairbanks is about the same cost as flying home from Anchorage so thinking of going that route versus backtracking.

What are some of your favorite places to stop between Anchorage and Denali?

How about between Denali and Fairbanks?

Are there lots of choices for touring Denali or only one?

We are going to have four or five nights on the road, where would you stay?

I understand that preference plays into this but I value your opinons. We've never done this before so all of my ideas thus far have come from research on Cruise Critic & Google searches. The only reservations I've made so far are our flight to Seattle and the cruise. The rest is still fluid and changes minute by minute the more I read. I know it's time to start getting some of this nailed down. Those that would like to share, thank you!

I responded on the NCL board. Breaking up your questions could offer more details. some of your questions are also too vague. especially "what should we do" and "must does" hundreds of potential answers. :)

I'll start- I stay near the Sea airport since it's cheap and I simply take the light rail or bus. Depends how you want to transfer. I do this also to the Amtrak Station.

At the Vancouver train/bus station I use the light rail there too. Again depends what options you want. I stay in various areas that are close to public transportation. I walk to Canada Place from my lodging or the light rail. Amtrak does sell out and tickets must be purchased in advanced. Prices are liquid and do nothing but go up.

Yes Juneau is your whale watch port. 100% sightings of humpbacks. I'd suggest a car rental and just driving yourself to the whale watch and Mendenhall. It's a waste of time to book separately. Plus a boatload of other possibilities http://www.traveljuneau.com

Skagway, Emerald Lake is a turn around point. A scenic brief time visita, not a destination. There are various tours to get there. 2 different train/road combos, and round trip road. which includes a rental car. IF a possibility for a rental car- reserve NOW, then cancel when your plans are fixed otherwise. Murray's Guide is "necessary" in my opinion and really enhances the trip.

Ketchikan- many raves about the Deadliest Catch.

Glaicer Bay is NOT overnight. Isn't your entry at 6am? If you choose to only stay in your cabin, the commentary and glaciers line up with the port side.

Seward- there is a 6pn train. Must be booked in advance. You'll need to figure out the rental car- Be prepared for high costs, BUT it could be well worth the TIME it allows you. Actually my time is way more valuable than my money. :) Hertz is the only rental out of Seward. There are only a couple one way options out of Anchorage. Get this done- NOW. It will only get in shorter and more costly supply.

Necessary is for you to get THE MILEPOST, try your library. There are too many "answers" to some of your questions. It will help if you narrow those down.

Have you looked at the Denali website? Essential for your questions. http://www.nps.gov/dena I only recommend the shuttle buses for independent visitors- and to at least Eielson. My opinion. :)

You need to figure out what and where you want to add your stops. so take a look at all the areas between Anchorage and Fairbanks Many will chose the MatSu for glacier trakking, or perhaps a short back track to Whittier/Girdwood if using puble transit Anchorage/Seward.

Know the areas you want to go, and what you are going to do there- THEN find lodging that fits the budget and schedule. It can be a waste of time to not do this in order.

This is a very accruate board, but also look at Trip Advisor. Lots of trip planning help for you.