Return rental car at Southampton cruise port?

kdnmom

We are booked on a cruise departing out of Southampton this June and are flying into Gatwick a couple of days prior. We would like to rent a car at Gatwick, tour some of the area (Stonehenge, Bath, etc.) and return the car at the cruise port in Southampton when we check in for the cruise. Are there any car rental companies that will allow this?

Thanks in advance!

Most, if not all, major car hire companies allow drop off at a different location.

It is often a bit more expensive though.

I haven’t used any car hire in Southampton, so I’m not sure which companies have the closest offices to the cruise port, but I’d do an internet search to find one there, and then look online for prices. Picking the car up at Southampton is easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, when you type in your requirements their websites ask whether you want to return it to the same or a different location. A one-way fee is normally payable & included in the quotes. Tax is also included. So is third party insurance, but for CDW check whether there's an extra cost, and the size of the excess. "Super" insurance, with a zero excess, is available. But insurance & other add-ons like gps are expensive & where they make their money.

Hertz, Alamo, Europcar, National & SixT are amongst those which have depots near the cruise terminals, though for 2 or 3 of the four terminals you'll need a short taxi ride. Folk normally drive to their cruise terminal to drop off their luggage and possibly passengers, then return the car. The rental agencies can help you in calling a taxi.

SixT are on Millbrook Road, the others are on a spur off West Quay Road.

Avis is the odd-one-out amongst the big rental agencies - their nearest depot is at Southampton airport, about a £20 taxi ride from the cruise terminals. But it's on the city boundary close to the national road system, and avoids town-driving in Southampton.

Do be aware that in Southampton on sundays some rental agencies are closed or operate on limited hours.

Also be aware that most rental cars in the UK & Europe are shift-stick - if you need automatic transmission do be sure to specify.

JB :)