La Reserve by Wine Spectator primer

Papaick

Although Oceania has been our cruise line of choice, we will be newbies on our upcoming Riviera cruise. And we have never been on the Marina. Am tempted to sign up for one of the La Reserve by Wine Spectator splurges but I am wondering if the $400 price tage for the wife and me represents value received.

We would appreciate any thoughts (both pro and con) from cruisers who have attended one of the La Reserve evenings.

Thanks

We happen to find it well worth the cost. Note that (unless things have changed) the Conoisseur Menu is the only one that has that hefty charge. It does happen to be our favorite menu (!) but the others are less expensive.

Cheap, it isn't, but you are paying for the wines as well as the food, and they don't stint on pouring extra glasses.

We haven't been on Riviera yet (will be in May) but have done La Reserve several times on Marina. I would encourage you to splurge ...but if it's a "bust the budget" item, you might want to rethink this.

I think it's good value for the cost.

Mura

We will likely not take part with the $200 menu. We've been to La Reserve three times total and enjoyed both of the original menus. However DW is not as keen and unless there is good interest the $400 could go to better to a nice evening on shore (or a spectacular lunch!)

The whole evening is the event from gathering ahead on deck with an aperitif to the wonderful many courses and paired wines. It is a great social event with the three tables of eight. From the initial perhaps reserved introductions to the more boisterous good-byes at the end of the evening it is a great time.

Is it worth it? Me? I'm in, DW even on the cheaper menus, she goes mostly to make me happy having her company. Depends on you. Enjoy wine? Enjoy great food? Enjoy an entertaining evening with new and interesting folks? How often will you have this opportunity? How does that value with $400 for you. No wrong answer.

Good way to use OBC, provided that you have any left and that the dinner is not fully booked (or extra nights are added).

We had enough OBC to pay for 6 people (not the $195 one) :)

We would never book it for us 2 as we don't drink but our family enjoyed our drinks so it was well worth it (the food was great).

The food is very good, the matching wines are very nice if unexceptional, and we were seated with congenial table partners on each of our forays so it worked for us; the most expensive dinner was the best in our opinion.

At each dinner I noticed happy drunk people singing happy birthday at one of the other two tables (it was no ones birthday, they thought THAT was funny). If you are at one of those tables and are not equally drunk you may think less of the experience.

We enjoyed them all immensely. If one does not particularly enjoy food and wine pairings, sometimes very interesting ones, the evening will probably not be their thing.

The individual wines are not particularly spectacular, but the pairings along with the congenial Group has always made for a fun evening. Typically best food on the ship.

We enjoyed them all immensely. If one does not particularly enjoy food and wine pairings, sometimes very interesting ones, the evening will probably not be their thing.

The individual wines are not particularly spectacular, but the pairings along with the congenial Group has always made for a fun evening. Typically best food on the ship.

Agree

Agree

Almost "plus 1."

Positive: Good food, ambiance and company.

Negative: With an occasional exception, the wine in our cabin is far more interesting than what is served in LaReserve.

Bottom line: IMO, "pairing" dinners (in general) are overhyped and under-deliver for all but the most sophisticated wine palates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first experience was outstanding.

On a subsequent cruise we attended again as they had a second menu. Note this was several if not many years ago. [emoji848]. It was very average, indeed bordering on mediocre. We have not repeated the experience.

As noted in a previous post, for us, there are better ways to spend the money.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums