Maya Chan or Blue Kay? (Kids, Seniors, a desire to snorkel and not huge drinkers)

sailawaybellaluna

We'll be in Costa Maya in April with our two children (ages 2 and 8) and my parents, as well as their friends (they're all seniors, relatively active).

I was convinced Maya Chan was a good place to spend our day. After reading a bit more on the boards, I'm concerned my mother may get car sick on the 20+ minute drive there. Any input on this? We've all been to Mexico many times, although this will be our first visit to Costa Maya. Now we did survive some crazy roads during a week we all spent together in Costa Rica, so I'm not sure how this may compare? But I also have kids to think about now, so I'm not sure of the safety aspect of driving to Maya Chan without carseats...I'd love your input!

The all-inclusivity of Maya Chan isn't necessarily a huge sell for us. Beer and mixed drinks aren't really our drink of choice, so that isn't a deciding factor for me. I do like the convenience of the flat $59 rate, including taxis though...

That being said, would Blue Kay be a better option for our crowd? Any option to snorkel from shore there? It seems a little confusing as to whether there's an entry fee or not, but either way, I've read it is $5 or less?

We'd just like beach chairs, umbrellas, bathrooms that are semi-clean, and a pretty beach. Bonus if I can snorkel from shore with my son.

If there's something else I should consider, I'd love your suggestions! I'm a little confused about what to do after reading the boards...Thanks!

We'll be in Costa Maya in April with our two children (ages 2 and 8) and my parents, as well as their friends (they're all seniors, relatively active).

I was convinced Maya Chan was a good place to spend our day. After reading a bit more on the boards, I'm concerned my mother may get car sick on the 20+ minute drive there. Any input on this? We've all been to Mexico many times, although this will be our first visit to Costa Maya. Now we did survive some crazy roads during a week we all spent together in Costa Rica, so I'm not sure how this may compare? But I also have kids to think about now, so I'm not sure of the safety aspect of driving to Maya Chan without carseats...I'd love your input!

The all-inclusivity of Maya Chan isn't necessarily a huge sell for us. Beer and mixed drinks aren't really our drink of choice, so that isn't a deciding factor for me. I do like the convenience of the flat $59 rate, including taxis though...

That being said, would Blue Kay be a better option for our crowd? Any option to snorkel from shore there? It seems a little confusing as to whether there's an entry fee or not, but either way, I've read it is $5 or less?

We'd just like beach chairs, umbrellas, bathrooms that are semi-clean, and a pretty beach. Bonus if I can snorkel from shore with my son.

If there's something else I should consider, I'd love your suggestions! I'm a little confused about what to do after reading the boards...Thanks!

I have been to both, and I think Blue Kay will fit your needs. Honestly, we would not go back to Maya Chan. It is an amazing place, but we are not huge drinkers either. With the grass build up and the unclear waters, it just doesn't appeal to us as we like to snorkel also.

We were at Blue Kay last month for the first time. One thing I will say (and you can probably find more on this in other threads) is Blue Kay is VERY inconsistent in what they charge. We were charged $15, which included cushions for the loungers and two drinks. They did not charge for my 7 year old. We were fine with that charge because we would have probably purchased two drinks anyway, and they seemed to be around $5 - $6 (mixed drinks). So it seemed reasonable. But I have heard others that got charged much less.

What makes Blue Kay great is the ocean... beautiful clear water and no grass! And there is snorkeling. It isn't the best place you will ever snorkel, but if you swim around, there is plenty to see. We even saw a lion fish there. And when I went under the bridge to the other side, there were thousands (not an exageration) of small gray fish... literally there was a HUGE wall of them. I am not sure if they are there always, but it was really cool. I swam into them and let them surround me. You can definitely snorkel from the beach with your son. As I said, our's is 7, and he had no issues.

The beach is amazing too. My son spent a good time playing there and building castles. (We brought our own small sand set. I do not believe they have anything, but we didn't ask.) There is no grass (to reiterate).

For the small taxi fare and the short ride, it is completely worth it. To get back, you just have to walk down the way a bit to the taxi stand.

We are booked for Maya Chan in mid-March and can let you know the state of the roads when we get back. Part of the appeal was the all inclusive nature, part was the small private nature. First time in Costa Maya so we will see if the endless reading of cruise critic for ideas pays off.

We were at Maya Chan on Friday for the first time. The ride wasn't as bad as I expected based on previous reviews, but definitely bumpy and took 25 min or so each way.

To see much snorkeling, you have to swim or kayak out to the reef several hundred yards. We did not go, but some did and said it was just ok.

The food was good, but not exceptional. Drinks and service were great. We enjoyed the floating chairs the most.

If they had a boat to take you from the port to Maya Chan, I would definitely go again. I probably will try somewhere closer the next time we are there since you basically lose an hour of beach time in travel time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just returned from a week long vacation in Mahahual. We rented a golf cart one day and drove all over town and out the beach road all the way to Maya Chan. I didn't think the road was that bad, just a lot of pot holes. Its dry right now so I think that makes a difference. It is quite far though. The distance would not necessarily be a deal breaker for me but personally, I would much rather be in the beautiful little town of Mahahual. Once you get to Maya Chan you're pretty much stuck there for the day. I think you miss a lot by not being in town. There is so much to do and see there. It's one of my favorite places on the planet. So, for all those reason I would definitely choose Blue Kay. I liked the snorkeling there very much. The water is beautiful and the beach is very nice. Be sure to walk the malecon and see for yourself what a great little town it is.

• 2 weeks later...
I just returned from a week long vacation in Mahahual. We rented a golf cart one day and drove all over town and out the beach road all the way to Maya Chan. Be sure to walk the malecon and see for yourself what a great little town it is.

Could you let me know where you rented the golf cart from, please? It sounds like fun.