Single Occupancy rates on QM2

Vic The Parrot

Just thought I'd share this with everyone here ....

Recently, I requested a quote from the Cunard office for single rates on QM2's upcoming Hawaii voyage. Seems they are only offering thier 'so called discount rates' to people booking double occ ....

But single "Cunarders" .... have to pay 200% of the brochure price.

If I'm a "Cunarder", shouldn't I get the same deal??? ... no matter my marital status???

It's not fair... hope Mr Ratcliffe and Mr Arison eventually realize this!!

Actually, you don't pay 200% of the fare if you're a single, at least not on QM2 Transatlantic. There is a slight discount for singles I believe. I book as a single traveler through my travel agent, and I haven't paid a full 200% (although I'm still paying much more than a single rate).

If you book through a travel agent you're likely to get a better deal I think.

You guys are so bad!<G>

What would happen if you had, say, a "ficticious friend"- say, someone willing to put their name in as your roomie. Pay the discounted rate for two. Then at the last minute, your friend comes down sick! What a shame! As you were just friends, you don't cancel your own trip- just your friend's. Sad- You can't get the money back for your friend. But you get your cabin at the discounted rate!

(Yes, I'm evil!)

• 6 years later...
Rather than book at 200% brochure rate, book another person along with you at the gty rate. Poor thing then gets sick and can't go.

Do the math and see if it works out cheaper.[/quote

does cunard still have the 200% single rate? in regards to the quoted post, wont that still cost you the same?

I'm sure Cunard will have something to cover this eventuality.

I have booked transatlantic as a solo traveller, and in an inside cabin I am paying 175% . . . . . I believe in a higher grade cabin it is indeed 200%

That is how I understand it...

Inside, Ocean-view and Balcony pay 175%

Club Balcony, Princess and Queens Grill pay 200%

I do agree that it is a lot of money for one person to pay, but I have done it anyway.

I agree about the 175% rate on inside, oceanview, balconies but only if the fare has not been discounted at all. If discounts have happened, you will pay double. In May 2011, I booked the 4/27/2012 TA, D8 cabin for the 175% rate, received $150 on board credit. Later in the year, a promotion was offered, free double upgrade - I called my travel agent and was upgraded to an A 4 cabin and also received an additional $150 on board credit. I am not crazy about obstructed view cabins, but the cabin assigned is only partially blocked (found a picture on cruise critic) and its nice to be in a full size cabin, although I have no problem with an inside cabin. So while this voyage is still fairly expensive, its a "good deal" when you look at rates for this cabin category today- although the rates were just reduced somewhat this week. Despite the Concordia accident, cruise lines are still holding firm on pricing but its really too soon to tell how this will affect business in the long run. At the height of last recession, I got a November T/A with no single supplement and another T/A at 135% but these type of deals are not around now. If you become a Cunard regular, you will receive email offers from Cunard that are sometimes really good, especially if you can be flexible when you can travel. Its really a game, passengers trying to pay the least amount possible and the cruise lines trying to get the most amount possible. Also there's fuel supplements, port charges, insurance, flights ?, transportation to the ship, parking, shore excusions, etc, that can add up to serious bucks.

I agree about the 175% rate on inside, oceanview, balconies but only if the fare has not been discounted at all. If discounts have happened, you will pay double. In May 2011, I booked the 4/27/2012 TA, D8 cabin for the 175% rate, received $150 on board credit. Later in the year, a promotion was offered, free double upgrade - I called my travel agent and was upgraded to an A 4 cabin and also received an additional $150 on board credit. I am not crazy about obstructed view cabins, but the cabin assigned is only partially blocked (found a picture on cruise critic) and its nice to be in a full size cabin, although I have no problem with an inside cabin. So while this voyage is still fairly expensive, its a "good deal" when you look at rates for this cabin category today- although the rates were just reduced somewhat this week. Despite the Concordia accident, cruise lines are still holding firm on pricing but its really too soon to tell how this will affect business in the long run. At the height of last recession, I got a November T/A with no single supplement and another T/A at 135% but these type of deals are not around now. If you become a Cunard regular, you will receive email offers from Cunard that are sometimes really good, especially if you can be flexible when you can travel. Its really a game, passengers trying to pay the least amount possible and the cruise lines trying to get the most amount possible. Also there's fuel supplements, port charges, insurance, flights ?, transportation to the ship, parking, shore excusions, etc, that can add up to serious bucks.

Ah, I see... Thanks for the clarification.

Do you mind me asking which A4 you had? I have one booked for this year, also as a single, and would be interested in your opinion...

Thanks,

T5

I am assigned cabin 8013, its the first cabin where the lifeboats start. As I mentioned before, I found pictures on these boards, inside and looking up from Deck 7. I had booked an obstructed cabin via a "flash fare" for a Labor Day cruise a few years ago (not as a single however) and maybe saved $100 per person. There was no obc and someone on these boards warned me that there would be no upgrade which turned out to be true in this case. The view was completely blocked except when the lifeboat was used as a tender. As there were two port stops, the additional expenses of going ashore for excurisons tied in with tipping, spa pass, bar tab made this trip fairly expensive - but had a great time. I vowed never another obstructed cabin but for reasons already stated, I did not try to change to an in hull balcony- which is considered a lower classification category. I also like being close to Stairwell A elevators (not crowded) and one of the favorite places on the ship is the library which is just down the hall.

That is how I understand it...

Inside, Ocean-view and Balcony pay 175%

Club Balcony, Princess and Queens Grill pay 200%

I do agree that it is a lot of money for one person to pay, but I have done it anyway.

Actually, you pay 175% for Princess Grill as well.

Archived