Cannes during film festival

highmark55

We will be in Cannes during the film festival this spring (May 11, 2018).

At first I thought this would be a good thing - lots of activity going on and maybe some exciting things/people to see.

Now I am not so sure... a lot of the tours (non-NCL) are showing as not being offered during that time.

Has anyone been there during the film festival ? Can you suggest some alternative activities ? or best "spotting" locations ?

Thanks for your suggestions/comments.

Jan

We have been there during the Film Festival but since we do not take tours (we simply do our own thing) we have no clue as to what gets canceled. The town's hotels are full during the festival as are just about any nice accommodations in the region. Traffic is a bit heavier, but not that its noticed by cruisers. Most Celebrities are not around during the day although you might spot somebody famous walking or in a high-end shop.

The train line (which we often use when on the coast) runs just like normal. The Autostrade (highway) is open just like normal. The coastal roads are somewhat more crowded. One reason you might find non cruise line excursions not being offered is that the tour companies are busy with tours for those staying in hotels.

So my question is "what do you want to do?" If you simply want to see Cannes, just use your feet or the small Petit Train. If you want to go elsewhere, use the trains and/or buses.

Hank

Thanks Hank,

Honestly all we had planned to do was walk around the town/water front a little anyway.

Do you know if there are any special activities or attractions open to the public due to the film festival ?

When we were there during the Festival (about 5 years ago) most of the events were happening in the large Exposition/Convention center which is only a few minutes walk from the tender pier. But during our visit, everything going on inside was by ticket only (we never looked into buying tickets for any event/showing). Like most other tourists, we did walk along the Croisette trying to spot a Celebrity....but all we saw were other tourists likely doing the same thing :).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
We will be in Cannes during the film festival this spring (May 11, 2018).

At first I thought this would be a good thing - lots of activity going on and maybe some exciting things/people to see.

Now I am not so sure... a lot of the tours (non-NCL) are showing as not being offered during that time.

Has anyone been there during the film festival ? Can you suggest some alternative activities ? or best "spotting" locations ?

Thanks for your suggestions/comments.

Jan

Hi Jan, we were there during the 2016 festival, Cannes itself was completely walkable as far as all the local sights went, it was interesting to see how everything was set up... pretty cool atmosphere with all the red carpets out...reminded me of our city when the Academy Awards are going on.

We took the train to St Paul de Vence one day & also visited Antibes on our own for the Picasso Museum. Both easy DIY... If you look at my signature there's a link to my review, it has photos of where we went & what we did, enjoy!

Hi Jan, we were there during the 2016 festival, Cannes itself was completely walkable as far as all the local sights went, it was interesting to see how everything was set up... pretty cool atmosphere with all the red carpets out...reminded me of our city when the Academy Awards are going on.

We took the train to St Paul de Vence one day & also visited Antibes on our own for the Picasso Museum. Both easy DIY... If you look at my signature there's a link to my review, it has photos of where we went & what we did, enjoy!

There is no train to St Paul de Vence. The closest train station would be Cagnes sur Mer...from where one would still need to wait for a bus (I think its the #400) or get a taxi. I think its about 5 miles...although it does seem a bit longer. One risk of relying on the #400 bus is that it originates in Nice...and it is possible that the bus could be full by the time it got to Cagnes sur Mer. Since those buses do not run very often (perhaps once every 45-60 min) it can be a problem if a bus bypasses the stop because they have no more room.

Hank

There is no train to St Paul de Vence. The closest train station would be Cagnes sur Mer...from where one would still need to wait for a bus (I think its the #400) or get a taxi. I think its about 5 miles...although it does seem a bit longer. One risk of relying on the #400 bus is that it originates in Nice...and it is possible that the bus could be full by the time it got to Cagnes sur Mer. Since those buses do not run very often (perhaps once every 45-60 min) it can be a problem if a bus bypasses the stop because they have no more room.

Hank

Hi Hank, yes we took the train to Cagnes then crossed the street to get the bus up into the hills... we probably actually go directions from one of your helpful posts :D went to Antibes afterwards, very nice day, easy to do.

Our one mistake on the way back was that we jumped on the Paris express train, which really freaked us out... luckily it made a stop in Cannes to pick up more people. ;)