Bed Arrangement - Oceanview - Gem

billslowsky

I am travelling solo on the gem and have an oceanview on Deck 8. When set up as just one bed, the window is above the head of the bed. When set up as two twins, the window is over the open space between the two beds which seem better for staring out mindlessly at the sea.

Anyone make a decision of this crucial nature? I will be fine in a twin most likely, my spouse is a bed hog at home. And no cat to take up what's left of my side.

I am travelling solo on the gem and have an oceanview on Deck 8. When set up as just one bed, the window is above the head of the bed. When set up as two twins, the window is over the open space between the two beds which seem better for staring out mindlessly at the sea.

Anyone make a decision of this crucial nature? I will be fine in a twin most likely, my spouse is a bed hog at home. And no cat to take up what's left of my side.

Did you score an upgrade sailing solo ? Fwd, Aft, obstructed ?? (Don't need to answer)

A number of options for you to consider -

this one is from our Gem 2012 post-Sandy Nor-Easter special, Deck 4 Fwd porthole view, port side - 2 of us only, upgraded with a downgrade (obstructed OV, deck 8) on the floor ... Sleeps 4, 1 upper pullman & 4th. one under the bed - we asked our RS to move the bed against the wall.

I still refer to this as our "submarine" view, LOL - with strong gale force wind, 40' waves (didn't see any big fish outside, however)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzg5ym2jlgeh8gj/SDC10363.JPG?dl=0

A different option - this could be good for solo, as these staterooms are "roomier" than the *.Away class ship of identical category - from the POA, 2 of us in Oceanview, ask RS to turn the bed 90 degree (stateroom sleeps 4, pullman on both side - watch/mind our head if you decided to do this, depending on your stateroom's capacity) Not worried about the light fixtures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds0erd3ljowsahz/DSC00141.JPG?dl=0

Loved the Gem, booked again for late April 2018 ourselves ... on Deck 5 for now.

Did you score an upgrade sailing solo ? Fwd, Aft, obstructed ?? (Don't need to answer)

A number of options for you to consider -

this one is from our Gem 2012 post-Sandy Nor-Easter special, Deck 4 Fwd porthole view, port side - 2 of us only, upgraded with a downgrade (obstructed OV, deck 8) on the floor ... Sleeps 4, 1 upper pullman & 4th. one under the bed - we asked our RS to move the bed against the wall.

I still refer to this as our "submarine" view, LOL - with strong gale force wind, 40' waves (didn't see any big fish outside, however)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzg5ym2jlgeh8gj/SDC10363.JPG?dl=0

A different option - this could be good for solo, as these staterooms are "roomier" than the *.Away class ship of identical category - from the POA, 2 of us in Oceanview, ask RS to turn the bed 90 degree (stateroom sleeps 4, pullman on both side - watch/mind our head if you decided to do this, depending on your stateroom's capacity) Not worried about the light fixtures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds0erd3ljowsahz/DSC00141.JPG?dl=0

Loved the Gem, booked again for late April 2018 ourselves ... on Deck 5 for now.

Appreciate the suggestions. I upgraded from a dirt cheap inside to an OA on deck 8 over the theater up front. That second option would be great if I could get the attendant to do it.

Nice & congrats for getting the deal.

We nicely asked him/her to do it, once they have time as turnaround day is crazy for them - typically, it's ready for us at bedtime (also, leave a reminder note/sticky) as we leave for dinner or evening show, etc.

Easier if the room is for 2 & don't have the extra bed underneath, the pullman doesn't get into the way when turned sideway.