NRD Question

Okay, so somewhat unique question here I think. Say we book a total of 3 people in 2 cabins with the NRD. If we’d later like to move all 3 people into one cabin on the same exact sailing, would we be charged the $100 change fee?

On part of me says you would not be changing ship or sail date, so no penalty. The other part says that you are cancelling a booking, so there would be a penalty. If I had to guess, somehow I think Royal would go for the latter.

On part of me says you would not be changing ship or sail date, so no penalty. The other part says that you are cancelling a booking, so there would be a penalty. If I had to guess, somehow I think Royal would go for the latter.

Thanks Bob. That’s what I was thinking. I’ll call for clarification, but won’t be surprised if they don’t have an answer.

You run into a few issues right from the jump.

Instead of thinking of it as a "booking" think of it per room. So you have 2 people in one room. One person in another room (ostensibly paying a solo supplement). The 2 people booked in a room together MAY be put in a room that can only hold 2 people, and thus a third may not fit.

That said, I could certainly see Royal saying that the cancellation of one "room" would fall under the cancellation rules for NRD.

I'd say if there is any chance you are going to end up with 3 to a room just book that way from the beginning; if you think there is a chance one party might cancel, book the whole thing refundable and just before final payment see if switching to NRD saves you money. Even if at that time it does not, it is very unlikely that the delta between NRD and refundable at the time of booking would be greater than the penalty anyways.