Passport Renewal

cactusrose

Has anyone renewed a passport lately and can you tell me how long it took before your check cleared? I sent ours in by mail on December 7th. My check hasn't cleared and they are not in the State Departments online system. I'm always worried that things like this will get lost in the mail. Our post office never misplaces unimportant mail, just the important stuff.

Has anyone renewed a passport lately and can you tell me how long it took before your check cleared? I sent ours in by mail on December 7th. My check hasn't cleared and they are not in the State Departments online system. I'm always worried that things like this will get lost in the mail. Our post office never misplaces unimportant mail, just the important stuff.

DH just renewed his in October. The whole thing took about a 4-6 weeks. Our check was dated 10/11 and his passport is dated 11/7/05, we had it by mid November.

Hello Cactusrose - I am in the same situation that you are. I am a worrier too. I sent my application into the passport office in Pittsburgh on November 25 and know that it arrived on November 27 because I sent it registered mail. However, there is no status report showing on the automated internet system. When I sent them an e-mail they did not have me in the system yet. In addition, I called the passport office and they could give me no status report as of December 16. The person I spoke to said this is not unusual for this time of the year. She also noted that the best information on status was through the 1-877-487-2778 number where I reached her rather than the automated system as they had been having some problems with it. (My check has NOT cleared yet either.) Although I don't need my passport until February - it still makes me nervous.

My Husband renewed his several months ago and it took about 3 weeks total!

Christine

Hi Christine. Wow and I was only worried about my check not clearing after a week and a half. It is reassuring to know that I'm not the only worry wart. I have a lot of time. Don't need them until April, but wouldn't want our old passports to be lost. I'll feel a lot better when I see the check clear as then I know that they have arrived in Pittsburgh. Thanks for the information. You've made me feel better!

Stacey

Cactusrose - I spoke with the Passport office this evening and they FINALLY have a status report for me. They logged it in today and it is on its way to be processed. The guy on the phone told me that it takes typically about 20 days to process once it gets over to the office that handles it.

At least now I know that THEY know it is there! :)

Christine

We had to go into the post office to process our daughter's renewal as she's a minor and they'd changed the rules since 2000. That was the first week of September and we got the new passport by the end of that month. I would say that may have been because it was a quiet time but I would think they probably were busy even then because they lost the New Orleans office and many passport applications had to be resent elsewhere.

Cactusrose - I spoke with the Passport office this evening and they FINALLY have a status report for me. They logged it in today and it is on its way to be processed. The guy on the phone told me that it takes typically about 20 days to process once it gets over to the office that handles it.

At least now I know that THEY know it is there! :)

Christine

Congratulations Christine! I know this is a load off your mind. I'll have to wait a week or so before I start bugging them. I'll keep check to see if my check clears as that will put my mind at ease.

Thanks to everyone for you replies.

We renewed passport on October 13, 2005, check cleared bank on October 24, 2005 and passport was dated November 8, 2005 Received it back about the 15th. Suprised how fast it was done. Hope this helps.

Hi Stacey & Wally -

Need to renew passports before our April cruise - Printed out the renewal forms from the web - I will wait until after the holiday season to visit our local Port Office site vs. mailing to Pittsburgh.......haven't called the Boca Raton PO yet - so not sure if they can do the actual renewal right then and there - or it will still have to be processed through the mail.....will take along a 'certified' check so no need for waiting to 'clear' should be necessary.... I'll stay in touch and let you know how I do in Jan. Renee

Congratulations! 6 posts in a row I think thats a record.:p

Truly sorry - I have NO idea where the 'gremlin' hides in my PC --- :confused: I did NOT post the same 6 times - but it appeared that way - which is why I deleted all the duplicates!!:rolleyes:

Renee

Archived