Passport Renewal

cactusrose

Has anyone renewed a passport lately and can you tell me how long it took before your check cleared? I sent ours in by mail on December 7th. My check hasn't cleared and they are not in the State Departments online system. I'm always worried that things like this will get lost in the mail. Our post office never misplaces unimportant mail, just the important stuff.

Hi Stacey & Wally -

Need to renew passports before our April cruise - Printed out the renewal forms from the web - I will wait until after the holiday season to visit our local Port Office site vs. mailing to Pittsburgh.......haven't called the Boca Raton PO yet - so not sure if they can do the actual renewal right then and there - or it will still have to be processed through the mail.....will take along a 'certified' check so no need for waiting to 'clear' should be necessary.... I'll stay in touch and let you know how I do in Jan. Renee

Hi Renee, I contacted our local post office which does take applications for passports. However, it is by appointment only and they said that unless I need a new passport or need urgent processing of the renewal, I should send it in. The only reason I'm concerned about the check clearing is that it's evidence that they received our application (and the old passports). If the whole thing is lost, then the old passports are lost too. My check still hasn't cleared and there is no evidence on the State Department website that our applications are in the system. I'm hoping it's just the season. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they can tell me if they received it.

I've found that if your post seems to hang after you click the Submit reply button and either hit the submit reply button again or try to refresh you can get multiple postings of the same message. If it looks like it's hung up, just hit the back button and them refresh and it's usually there.

Wow. My check finally cleared last night. Interestingly enough it was a day after I called to inquire as to why it might take so long to process my check. I was told that the finance department was really backed up and to give it another week. Then the next day my check cleared. Coincidence?:rolleyes: I will say the woman I spoke with was very kind. Speaking with her was a very nice experience. Anyway this is a load off my mind. At least I know that our old passports weren't just lost in the mail.

Let me know when it shows up on the tracking system. My check cleared 2 weeks ago but it still show no information available when I try to check it on line. I sent an email and was told that it is being processed in Chicago.

Hello -Many destination require you to have at least six months left before your passport expires. If that is the case, you will need to apply about 8 months in advance. I am in that situation now. I'm leaving for Japan in February and sent my passport in the last week of November to renew it. The last message I got regarding status said that I will have my passport back on or about January 21 (8 weeks after I mailed it in). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will NOT be delayed.

Christine

I thought I had heard something about a 'six month rule' but can't find anything on the official passport page....what is the rule and where can I find more info:confused:

We are scheduled to go to the Carribean in July and my daughters passport expires in Nov.....do I need to renew before? She is still a minor so we have to renew every 5 years, so I like to get all the mileage out of it that I can.

Thanks for any help on this....I thought I had made up the six month thing - glad to see someone else mention it.:(

Hello Hillslife - The country that you will be visiting is who says how much time you need to have left on your passport, not the USA (or other country) that issues your passport to you. You need to check the visa and other requirements for each of the countries you plan to visit--That is where the information can be found.

Christine

Thanks all, this Sat. I had my passport renewal sitting and check written to take to the Post Office and THEN I read this thread. :o It looks like it is taking them the full 8 weeks to do the passports and my cruise is the end of March. BUT I needed the passport info for Silverseas before they did my DOC. No passport no DOC DANCE :(. So out I get my checkbook and pay for the fast service.

thanks all for the info.......

Hello - I got good news last night on my passport renewal status. I had sent in my application on November 26. The most recent status was that I would get my passport on or around January 21. However, last night I was told that my passport had been completed and mailed out and that I should be receiving it in the next 3 to 5 days. (Between the 7th and 9th of January or about 2 weeks earlier than they previously stated.) I am so glad!

Christine

Hilslife, as a general rule your passport must be valid for six month from the end of your travel. Here's the information that I found on the Princess site. http://www.princess.com/answer/ready.html

Also, you don't need a passport for the Caribbean until January 2008. You will need a valid ID and birth certificate. Photo ID for children under 18 is not required but highly recommended.

Let me know when it shows up on the tracking system. My check cleared 2 weeks ago but it still show no information available when I try to check it on line. I sent an email and was told that it is being processed in Chicago.

cjh, Mine isn't in the tracking system either. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Strawberry, that is good news. Guess I'll look for mine before the end of January.

Cactusrose....thanks for the link on passport requirements. I knew I had read the 6 months thing somewhere.....thought it was just a 'senior moment'....haha Since the new requirement changes looks like we can wait til closer to the expiration date to renew my daughters passport but should be ok as her form of ID for this cruise. :)

Thanks much

Hey my passport information finally showed up in the State Departments on line system. Says I should have it by January 14th. So here's my timeline. Mailed old passports and application on December 7th. Check cleared on December 28th. Information shows up on line on January 6th. Passport should be received on or before January 14th. It's such a releif to know it's on it's way. I need it to update my immegration info on the Princess Cruise Personalizer and to get my VISA for Australia.

[quote name='cactusrose']Hey my passport information finally showed up in the State Departments on line system. Says I should have it by January 14th. So here's my timeline. Mailed old passports and application on December 7th. Check cleared on December 28th. Information shows up on line on January 6th. Passport should be received on or before January 14th. It's such a releif to know it's on it's way. I need it to update my immegration info on the Princess Cruise Personalizer and to get my VISA for Australia.[/quote]
Good News! Glad this worked out for you. :D

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=purple]Dec.7 to Jan.14 doesn't seem to be too bad of a wait considering many more people are applying for passports, the new rules that will be in place in the future, N.O. being knocked out, etc.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#800080]I guess the toughest part is when your passport is getting to be 9 years old and you are lucky enough to have multiple trips/cruises planned. Just another thing to figure out as we plan that next cruise .[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Catusrose check and see if you are in the data base on the web now. I showed up yesterday with a processing number but it says they may have either sent me a letter or tried to call me so if you could check and see if this is the standard I would appreciate it.

Cindy

[I]For reference (if this is still useful):[/I]

Mailed passport renewal December 6

Check cleared bank December 13

(No online information available late Dec / early Jan "Not in the system yet")

Called telephone inquiry number January 3 (Very helpful agent - said passport had been completed that day, would be mailed, and mail is picked up at ~3:30 PM. Wow! :cool: )

Passport received January 6

Archived