Island Wings — Need Specific Info/Help

txwriter

I am taking my mom to Alaska for her bucket list trip, and she has expressed a desire to take the Misty Fjords trip with Island Wings in Ketchikan.

I need to know specifics on physically getting to the plane. I know that the company will transfer us to the dock where the plane is. I am wondering does the bus drive straight up to the dock or is there a ramp or stairs? If a ramp, how steep is it? If stairs, how many? How long would you say the walk is if going down ramp/steps?

Thank you.:)

I am taking my mom to Alaska for her bucket list trip, and she has expressed a desire to take the Misty Fjords trip with Island Wings in Ketchikan.

I need to know specifics on physically getting to the plane. I know that the company will transfer us to the dock where the plane is. I am wondering does the bus drive straight up to the dock or is there a ramp or stairs? If a ramp, how steep is it? If stairs, how many? How long would you say the walk is if going down ramp/steps?

Thank you.:)

There will be a ramp to descend to the floating wharf. The steepness will depend on the level of the tide. Remember that climbing into the plane will require climbing up at least one step . The step will be difficult for someone with a mobility issue.

You enter at street level, the ramp as noted above will depend on the tides, it can be very steep, almost like going up a ladder at low tide. If you can identify the mobility limits, eg climbing- then you can schedule a flight so it returns at high tide as example.

As for getting into the plane, it's a ladder, with usually 3 steps, start with stepping on the float. depending on your seat, you will be bent over getting to your seat. Seating is tight. Flying with another vendor, can perhaps, give you a more accessible plane. '

Also don't know about Island Wings (verify) but a vendor I use, does have a ramp to the plane, from the floating, (boarding) dock, that isn't that steep and no ladder involved getting in the plane.

It's essential, everything is fully disclosed so that a workable plan can be in place. Another issue, can be people of significant oversize. Keeping the vendor informed helps with a smooth process and flights remaining on schedule.

You enter at street level, the ramp as noted above will depend on the tides, it can be very steep, almost like going up a ladder at low tide. If you can identify the mobility limits, eg climbing- then you can schedule a flight so it returns at high tide as example.

As for getting into the plane, it's a ladder, with usually 3 steps, start with stepping on the float. depending on your seat, you will be bent over getting to your seat. Seating is tight. Flying with another vendor, can perhaps, give you a more accessible plane. '

Also don't know about Island Wings (verify) but a vendor I use, does have a ramp to the plane, from the floating, (boarding) dock, that isn't that steep and no ladder involved getting in the plane.

It's essential, everything is fully disclosed so that a workable plan can be in place. Another issue, can be people of significant oversize. Keeping the vendor informed helps with a smooth process and flights remaining on schedule.

Thank you. This is very useful information. Mom can do steps, and I believe a ladder would be ok as well. She is actually pretty mobile with some specific limitations (mostly distance but some balance).

I will investigate further.

We flew with Michelle, owner of Island Wings, with my mil who was in her late 60’s at the time and has some mobility issues. Michelle is great to work with and we had no problems but when you land on the lake in Misty Flords...you get out of the plane and walk on the floats to reach shore. You dont have to leave the plane but its a really nice part of the whole experience. Call Michelle and voice your concerns and make your decision then.

Thank you. This is very useful information. Mom can do steps, and I believe a ladder would be ok as well. She is actually pretty mobile with some specific limitations (mostly distance but some balance).

I will investigate further.

My sister has mobility issue and was able to get on plane fine and walk the ramp with assistance. I would contact the company for specifics though.