Sierra Madre Tour

kayred

I am considering this tour and I have a few questions. How long of a bus ride is it, I would hate to be on a bus for an hour?

It mentions that a lunch is included, where do you stop for lunch? Is it a nice place?

Does the tour bring you all the way back to the ship, or does it end in the golden zone?

Would you recommend this tour for my husband and myself, we are 38/39 years old and this is our first cruise. We are wanting to do a ships tour because we don't want to have to try and find our way around a town when we don't speak spanish

I hope you all don't mind this being posted here, but I am hoping to hear from those who went on this tour while on the Sapphire. Thanks in advance everyone...

I am considering this tour and I have a few questions. How long of a bus ride is it, I would hate to be on a bus for an hour?

It mentions that a lunch is included, where do you stop for lunch? Is it a nice place? Does the tour bring you all the way back to the ship, or does it end in the golden zone? Would you recommend this tour for my husband and myself, we are 38/39 years old and this is our first cruise. We are wanting to do a ships tour because we don't want to have to try and find our way around a town when we don't speak spanish I hope you all don't mind this being posted here, but I am hoping to hear from those who went on this tour while on the Sapphire. Thanks in advance everyone...

kayred,

DH and I did this tour through Princess on the Ocean in 2001 (and would have been about your age at the time) and LOVED it. We felt this was the best way to see the foothills of the Sierra Madre and yes, there is some time on the bus but we did make a few stops along the way. We stopped at a "brick factory" basically one man making bricks in the sun (fascinating) we stopped at a "furniture factory" a were amazed as we watched the locals hand carve furniture. We also visited Concordia where we had a beverage stop. The highlight was our stop the hillside town of Copala where we had a delicious lunch at Chalva's (traditional Mexican food and a wonderful dessert of banana coconut creme pie). The tour did end at the Golden Zone for shopping but if memory serves you could return straight to the ship. Again, we talk about this tour to this day and felt it was one of the best tours we've ever taken anywhere.

As away if you have questions and check my photo link for some pictures.

Kayred,

We just did this tour this past week. You do spend time on the bus. But there are lots of stops. You do need to be fit and able to walk on uneven ground. Our tour three people did not read that part and the company had to bring in a support vehicle to help get them around.

The lunch is at the last town you visit. And bless I do not remember the name. It is very good and no spice. It is geared for people that are not really used to Mexican food. It is a nice sample. We are from So CA, I work in what is called the Colonia. I am used to more spice. Our table mates from a different part of the country had never had a tamale. It was fun explaining the samples and how they are made. Tamales are labor intensive and a holiday dish for the locals.

The longest ride is back to the Golden Zone but the scenery is wonderful and it passes fast. I guess and this is not a flame, but a obligation that you must stop at Diamonds International in every town. I went to another shop and found a nice leather purse. I am not a diamond person. I also got an adorable mini sombrero for our little dog. I love tourist stuff.

The bus sort of takes you back to the ship. I will explain. That dock is commercial, getting on the bus it picks you up at the ship. People not on tours have to take a tram and walk through a vendor area. Returning the bus drops you outside that last vendor area and you have to walk through to get on the tram back to the ship. It does get a little crowded but things move fast. I laughed because the cigar seller right at the tram exit threw his body over his merchandise to prevent light fingers from just taking.

We enjoyed the tour. Do wear good walking shoes. You do see a lot of beautiful country and see parts of Mexico that are more rural.

Oh, thank you so much for the info :D

I really wanted a chance in this tour to see something of Mexico, and from what you say this is just the tour. I am glad the food was good, my concern was that everyone says you should not eat the food in Mexico. I know we have had no problem eating at resorts and was hoping for a place use to tourists.

Did you have plenty of chances to pick up typical goodies to bring home? I have a teenage son who really wants an sambero (sp?) and a poncho...

We are swimming with the dolphins in PV and Whale watching in Cabo, so this is our chance for the more traditional Mexico experience.

You have really helped me feel better with my choice in tours, I am SO EXCITED!!!!!!!:D

OH, I forgot....the pictures were wonderful. It looks like there is so much history.

Also how many people were in your tours....

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them.

We had about 40 people on our bus and I know there were other buses at some of the stops. There are shopping opportunities galore! We picked up a few hand carved wooden figurines for $5 each - "almost free" ;)

Oh, thank you so much for the info :D

IDid you have plenty of chances to pick up typical goodies to bring home? I have a teenage son who really wants an sambero (sp?) and a poncho...

This is funny. Mexico is barter. Puerto Vallarta you get the best deals. The Sombrero. I bought three. These were the small and medium fancy velvet ones. The first small one I got for three dollars. Beautiful.

In Cabo I needed two Medium ones as gifts. The first place wanted 65.00 American each. I told the man he insulted me, and I walked. He followed and I just said talk to the hand, I am not going to waste my time. Three blocks away I bought two same Mediums for 20.00 total.

The Sombrero can be a pain to take off the ship, because the big ones do not fit in a case. They have to be carried. Tell your son you want it you have to carry it.

Our tour had about 20 people. It was more seeing real Mexico. You will have a good time on it.

Money wise get lots of small American bills. They love US money, but never have change. So carry lots of ones, fives and tens. You will have a wonderful time.

We were on the Diamond Princess last January and did a private Sierra Madre tour, really the same thing but through a private tour guide. The distances we walked were not long at all, but the terrain is very uneven --- cobblestones, that sort of thing. The only lengthy bus ride was our return to Mazatlan, and we were all a little tired by then so we relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. There wasn't a lot of shopping in the mountain towns but that was part of their charm -- so many places we visit on cruises are really tourist stops with many souvenir shops!! We also ate at Chalva's and it's true that our lunch was not spicy, but our waiter brought us out some jalapenos when we asked, so that took care of the problem. Anyway, we really enjoyed our trip up into the Sierra Madre. Here's a link to our webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/cynbar101. Sapphire Princess is a sister ship to the Diamond, so these pictures are very similar to what you'll see. Have fun!!

Archived