Volendam - anyone recently cruised on this ship?

Hflors

Travelling on the Volendam in May. First time on on HAL. Wondering about any secrets, advice for this boat?

We have booked 4 staterooms on the first floor? Are those staterooms updated?

Old sailors rule - don't call this ship a boat. We liked the Volendam a lot - no secrets, small and easy to get to know .Don't know what has gotten updated but it seems like they work from the top down. The cabins on the lower decks are nicely sized and have a good layout, regardless of the state of the decor. Plus I guess one secret are the aft decks with a few loungers accessible from the lower deck cabin hallways - often go undiscovered and can become your own private retreat.

Plus I guess one secret are the aft decks with a few loungers accessible from the lower deck cabin hallways - often go undiscovered and can become your own private retreat.

Discovered those on the old Statendam prior to its sale. They are awesome spaces, and I agree, often go undiscovered and am seflishly hoping the stay that way on our upcoming trip on Volendam.

Old sailors rule - don't call this ship a boat. .Don't know what has gotten updated but it seems like they work from the top down. .

Do you, OlsSalt, or any recent sailors know if they completed the Verandah deck?

We'll look forward to our winter cruise in '19 either way, but 30 days in a fresh cabin would be a bonus. I'm following this thread with interest.

Thanks,

Ruth

Discovered those on the old Statendam prior to its sale. They are awesome spaces, and I agree, often go undiscovered and am seflishly hoping the stay that way on our upcoming trip on Volendam.

Good thing thee and me did not tell... anyone ... else then. :cool:

Do you, OlsSalt, or any recent sailors know if they completed the Verandah deck?

We'll look forward to our winter cruise in '19 either way, but 30 days in a fresh cabin would be a bonus. I'm following this thread with interest.

Thanks,

Ruth

One way to keep track is to put the ship, deck, cabin type or cabin number into a general google or duckduckgo search to see if anyone somewhere in the electronic universe just might have posted some recent photos or videos.

Thanks,

Ruth

Ruth, read my earlier posts in this thread. We were hoping for a newly refurbished cabin too. But our Vista Suite on the Verandah deck had not been upgraded, except for the bathroom. 28 days in the stateroom with old decor was just fine for us and our friends in the cabin next door. Maybe they'll get it done before your cruise in 2019.

Ruth, read my earlier posts in this thread. We were hoping for a newly refurbished cabin too. But our Vista Suite on the Verandah deck had not been upgraded, except for the bathroom. 28 days in the stateroom with old decor was just fine for us and our friends in the cabin next door. Maybe they'll get it done before your cruise in 2019.

We're old too so we'll fit right in!!

Guess I missed that you were in a Vista Suite.

Ruth

We’re on the ship at Kagoshima. No laundry, we are on Deck 1 with a refurbished bathroom and ocean view. We still have the old TV system; others upstairs have the newer flatscreen TV. For us, the ship is in fine condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the status on the MDR being open for lunch?

All the time?

Sea days only?

"Special events" only (whatever THOSE are)?

MDR was only open for special events like the Capts appreciation brunch for Mariners and the Indonesian lunch.

We’re on the ship at Kagoshima. No laundry, we are on Deck 1 with a refurbished bathroom and ocean view. We still have the old TV system; others upstairs have the newer flatscreen TV. For us, the ship is in fine condition.

Upper deck 6 still had the old TVs with DVD player. I don't know of any cabins that have been totally refurbished. Maybe the bigger suites.

Does the ship have real toilet paper or the thin, tissue paper style?

The ship's plumbing systems do require only the tissue they provide to be used. Passengers cannot not put any other tissue or wipes into their plumbing systems or it can clog it up for all the other cabins on the same system. This can be a problem for the first few days as people sometimes need to learn the hard way that the warning signs in the bathroom do need to be taken very literally.

I'm wondering if anyone has sailed in cabin #3398 on lower promenade deck since the refurb? Can you tell me if that specific cabin still has the tub, or did it get the "updated" glass shower with no tub?

I’ve not sailed in 3398, but I’d virtually guarantee it has the new shower.

This should be interesting. I just booked Volendam for May 9th as a last minute "omg I need a vacation!/my mom's 60th birthday/our wedding anniversary/mother's day". Unfortunately booking this close means I don't get choice pick of rooms (needed 2 connecting for the 4 of us) but managed to get the "obstructed ocean view" combo of 3421 and 3425 (I have seen pictures of the view online so I know what I'm getting myself into).

I saw the comments about the tubs being removed (I was looking forward to the tub, having a 3 year old) but it wont make or break the cruise for us. I went back and checked over the deck plans on HAL's website and I see the rooms at the fore and aft of deck 3 still list a tub/shower while most of the other (higher category ocean view) rooms list a shower only.

I will report back my findings!

...I went back and checked over the deck plans on HAL's website and I see the rooms at the fore and aft of deck 3 still list a tub/shower while most of the other (higher category ocean view) rooms list a shower only. I will report back my findings!

Hi Kesstral - We're booked in H3427 next January and we're hoping what we've been told is true - that it has the new shower-only bathroom. We'd really appreciate it If you could specifically ask your cabin steward about that. Don't go to a lot of trouble, but if you can confirm it, please let us know when you get back.

By the way, we haven't had any luck trying to find a Roll Call after a cruise is over. Does anyone know if you can actually post info like that to the Roll Call after the cruise... or would you have to put it in a review of the cruise?

By the way, we haven't had any luck trying to find a Roll Call after a cruise is over. Does anyone know if you can actually post info like that to the Roll Call after the cruise... or would you have to put it in a review of the cruise?

If there is an existing roll call before the cruise, it is still there, and available for posting, after the cruise.

Are you sure you have your dates open sufficiently to see all the threads in the Roll Call forum?