Tips on CHEERS program?

hawaiikat

Aloha,

My adult children and I are going on the Dream and they are planning on getting CHEERS. My question is this: I know the CHEERS program includes a 15% gratuity, but is it allowed that we give a cash tip to the server? I'm wondering if I can give the server a dollar for each delivery?

Aloha,

My adult children and I are going on the Dream and they are planning on getting CHEERS. My question is this: I know the CHEERS program includes a 15% gratuity, but is it allowed that we give a cash tip to the server? I'm wondering if I can give the server a dollar for each delivery?

You can tip in addition yes.

Thanks for the quick reply. My questions is a little more specific: I know you can tip extra, but can you give CASH or does it have to be on the Sign and Sail Card?

It CAN be cash.

Now can they keep it or have to pool it? Is not so clear.

I've asked the bartender on the last 2 ships we've been on if they get the gratuity that's added when you purchase CHEERS and they both said no. What??? I assumed they received those funds that we were charged up front! So we tipped cash ($1-2 per drink). We definitely got better service because of our tipping once the bartenders knew us, but I still don't understand why they don't receive the CHEERS gratuity (unless 2 different bartenders weren't honest with us?).

Sent from my SM-N950W using Forums mobile app

I've asked the bartender on the last 2 ships we've been on if they get the gratuity that's added when you purchase CHEERS and they both said no. What??? I assumed they received those funds that we were charged up front! So we tipped cash ($1-2 per drink). We definitely got better service because of our tipping once the bartenders knew us, but I still don't understand why they don't receive the CHEERS gratuity (unless 2 different bartenders weren't honest with us?).

Or maybe it is not listed as to where the tip came from, but rather just as tips or what ever term that is used on their paychecks.

They get it as a lump disbursement from the tip pool and not from each individual customer they serve. Sounds like they are gaming you or there is a miscommunication.

They get it as a lump disbursement from the tip pool and not from each individual customer they serve. Sounds like they are gaming you or there is a miscommunication.

Gee does at one really think the staff would give the answer most likely to lead to extra tips (sarcasm off).

Like someone else said we ALWAYS get better service by tipping extra in cash or even on the S&S card. My DH loves to get the Dollar Coins and use those. The servers learn who you are.

One time, I did see the bartender separating tickets with extra tip by each server so it would appear that each server gets his/her own extra tips. I believe that the 15% is split in the pool if it is not part of the cheers package. Just my observations.

Gee does at one really think the staff would give the answer most likely to lead to extra tips (sarcasm off).

Yup. I would say I get nothing but the couple of extra dollars someone throws my way each hour and make a big frowny face.

You can add a tip on the receipt, which will then go to your Sign and Sail account. Or you can tip in cash.

On NCL, "our" bartender told us that she got to keep the cash, but the tips on the receipts had to be pooled and split.

Give $1 per drink, and you'll never be thirsty!