Little bit concerned Discovery 1.

It didnt really make much odds to us, we already had estas from last year. I can understand why people are confused through lack of communication from thomson. We are practicly finding out on our own we aint going to puerto rico and UVI. Not the best customer service is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Finally received an email from Tui this afternoon. They condescendingly explained they were trying to not inconvenience us by putting us up in a hotel for one night whilst the ship was examined by USA officials. What utter crap!

They did admit this was a major change but failed to admit they knew about this weeks/months ago. Not sure who I can officially complain to but I intend to find out.

So my take on it its all a smoke screen, the length of time for US Homeland Authorities is the real issue. All passengers who call at San Juan or St. Thomas would not have cleared US Homeland Authorities previously, technically the ship has to be emptied but this is the crew as well they are not exempt from the ESTA OR VISA system, if they are (the crew) are in port they should have one,um! Almost 3000 persons going through US Homeland Authorities, um the number of homeland officers at these ports are not enough to cope with the through put (unlike airports with 1st time entry), anyone who has entered the US recently know how unhelpfully slow they are. Great decision by TUI Antigua (even twice) and Tobago are far better replacements. Now you now know why no other UK Cruise ship calls at these ports when cruise starts at non US dependant island or US mainland.

When we were visiting oman on a cruise a few years ago the authorities came on board and checked and stamped everyone on boards passport. You gave your passport to the ship when you boarded on day 1. I presume they came aboard early in the morning and checked n stamped the passports then we were were free to get off. It was actually on this ship tho it was then splendor of the seas.

Yeah iv head there kind of famous for it lol. Iv not let it put me off tho. Still very excited [emoji4]

Pleased you are not put off, we have fifty plus cruises with them and yes customer service is lacking, always has been and IMO will not change, but for us the cruise experience with them is exactly that which we require. I don't think we have low standards others may suggest that but be have no concerns with booking Marela. I am certain if you go with an open mind, as it appears you are, you will have a great time. Your first week will be our second so hopefully we will have a good cruise.[emoji2]

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

When we were visiting oman on a cruise a few years ago the authorities came on board and checked and stamped everyone on boards passport. You gave your passport to the ship when you boarded on day 1. I presume they came aboard early in the morning and checked n stamped the passports then we were were free to get off. It was actually on this ship tho it was then splendor of the seas.

No chance of that happening in the US. As JustOxford said Homeland Security would require all on board to disembark and attend a face to face ashore. It would take all day.

We were on Arcadia in 2011 when we docked in LA after coming from Canada and that happened and it took until 4 pm to complete. I agree it was a good call by TUI.

Unfortunately the communication with customers fell short.

Today i got an email and a phone call from our local thomson travel agent who we booked with, this is the email. My faith in Thomson has been restored, 1 months notice and £65 obc pp is good enough for me. Thanks Thomson. Just thought i would post the email so all u good people can see it incase u havent received it yet or are interested.....e096304eea35742931da28ebebf18ac5.jpg

Pleased you are not put off, we have fifty plus cruises with them and yes customer service is lacking, always has been and IMO will not change, but for us the cruise experience with them is exactly that which we require. I don't think we have low standards others may suggest that but be have no concerns with booking Marela. I am certain if you go with an open mind, as it appears you are, you will have a great time. Your first week will be our second so hopefully we will have a good cruise.[emoji2]

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Yep, im betting we will both have a great cruise, anything beats this horrible weather in the uk. I have read a lot of good reviews and reports about thomson so thats all comforting. I have realistic expectations, also which i think some people on here lack lol. The last time we cruised it was in a grand suite on harmony of the seas, on its inaugural season, im not expecting the same experience or level of service ( nor should i for the price ) I have been on this ship ( when it was splendor ) a few years ago and loved it. [emoji846] Heres Hoping we all have a fantastic time

Yep, im betting we will both have a great cruise, anything beats this horrible weather in the uk. I have read a lot of good reviews and reports about thomson so thats all comforting. I have realistic expectations, also which i think some people on here lack lol. The last time we cruised it was in a grand suite on harmony of the seas, on its inaugural season, im not expecting the same experience or level of service ( nor should i for the price ) I have been on this ship ( when it was splendor ) a few years ago and loved it. [emoji846] Heres Hoping we all have a fantastic time

[emoji106]

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Well that settles it,no esta. We have a great itinery, good weather and a wonderful cruise to be had by all.

Hi we were on Discovery this time last year lovely ship and very easy to get around, we never had one bad meal all week ,lot,s of sunbeds and a very happy crew ,we are back on again 4th march enjoy your cruise every one.

remember it,s not the ships that pass in the night

it,s the nights passed on the ship ;pclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

Glad to hear about the ship now having lots of sunbeds so,ton saint, because that was a problem on it a few years ago. Sea days were a NIGHTMARE. So very glad to hear this. Iv noticed thomsons cruises dont have that many sea days in there itineries, am i the only one who loves a sea day lol, sometimes having a port every day can be exausting, n i feel guilty if i dont get off the ship and explore this new place im at lol.

Little question guys, im guessing that there will be 2 formal/ dress up nights on a 14nt cruise ? Do most people make an effort or not ? Just trying to decide if its worth the space to pack a suit or kilt. I enjoy getting dressed up but dont want to be the only one lol. We were planning to try get booked into surf n turf a few times too so could dress up a bit for that too. Another question, sum other cruise lines do not allow jeans or ripped jeans in the dining room. Is this the case with marella ?

Little question guys, im guessing that there will be 2 formal/ dress up nights on a 14nt cruise ? Do most people make an effort or not ? Just trying to decide if its worth the space to pack a suit or kilt. I enjoy getting dressed up but dont want to be the only one lol. We were planning to try get booked into surf n turf a few times too so could dress up a bit for that too. Another question, sum other cruise lines do not allow jeans or ripped jeans in the dining room. Is this the case with marella ?

Always great to see a kilt, we saw 2-3 when on Discovery in Sep and about a 50/50 split with DJs, no split Jeans. Book early for S&T , have a great time[emoji106]

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Thanks pensioncruiser, iv heard you need to be quick with s&t as it gets full quick, seen on here too that its a good idea to book it on changeover day as the ship is really hectic on that day lol. So will try for that to others may have tge same idea

We always try to go on change over day, particularly this Feb as it coincides with Mrs PCs birthday, and in the past they have a reduced price but probably not now as we are letting everyone know;p If you like the speciality restaurants I can recommend the Kara La its in a lovely location for sailaway and the food is good if not a little much for us:rolleyes:

I would love to go to kora la but im not sure my partner would, hes a bit fussy when it comes to oriental food. But u never know i might manage to twist his arm on the matter lol. I can remeber being up in that area when i was on the ship last time and the views really are lovley.

in answer to the original question, reviews can be a mixed bag. I always try to take an average from them and also take into account what any of the complaints were as it might not affect me. ( anyone complaining about their suite for example wouldn't affect me !)

we were on the TA in November from spain to the Caribbean and service was very, very slow in the main dining room. meals were taking an eternity. I think they may have had a lot of new staff( that's only a guess though).

A lot of sea days obviously meant it was harder to find sunbeds, but not impossible.

Also too many shows put on by the show team. they were very good , but you can have too much of a good thing.

BUT- we are going on again in march/april so more good than bad for us. hubby happy too as he hates taking tux etc to the Caribbean, so he will leave them behind and leave more room in case for me.

Dress to Impress night on D2 last week (Cuban Fusion), brought the whole range of dress styles. I was surprised at the number of men wearing 'Black Tie'- as in more than I expected - but also plenty in Jeans & Shorts. If you can pack the Kilt within the weight limits, go for it - my partner looked fabulous in his Highland Dress and always got lots of lovely comments.

Re Kora La, I am not always great with Asian foods but thought the menu there had a number of things on it that I would happily have eaten. Get your partner up there to look at the menu and who knows, you might be able to persuade him.