Advice on which ports to book excursions

VAtravelers100

We are sailing in June on HAL Oosterdam, Adriatic Dream, with two other families.

We've focused on our arrival and departure ports (Venice and Rome), but need to start plans for everything else. We plan to do private excursions or explore on our own, depending on the port.

Our group includes 6 adults and 5 kids (ages 5, 6, 10, 10, 15).

Is anyone willing to share opinions of which ports we should schedule excursions for vs. explore on our own? Will be very grateful for any thoughts!

Cruise day

10 - Palermo (Sicily, Italy)

11 - Naples (Pompeii, Italy)- we do plan to visit Pompeii

I'm going to post in the separate forums for each country on our itinerary. Thanks for any help!

Pompei is very easy and inexpensive to get to on your own, if you are willing. You can pick up a guide on site just for your group.

With kids that young I doubt you'd spend the entire day at Pompei but there are lots of things to see and do right in Naples, within walking distance of the ship.

The Naples underground tour was a big hit with our kids and it's nice to be down there where it's cool on a hot day: https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/naples-underground/

Thank you for the reply! I would love to get additional advice about these ports, especially please keeping in mind the kids, ages 5, 6, 10, 10, 15.

It seems quite likely that we will book a private tour/excursion for our group of 11 from Naples to Pompeii. Does anyone have advice about what destinations to bundle with Pompeii?? Amalfi coast?

I think it's quite likely that at least a couple families will also book a van tour of some type in Palermo. Any suggestion of things to put on the itinerary that the kids would enjoy?

Will really appreciate any leads!

From Naples we did a private tour of the Amalfi coast , Postiano and Ravelle. It was beautiful and we loved it. When we were in Sicily, we went to Taormina and another little village higher up the mountain that I think was called Castoloma. We loved both. These were arranged by someone on our roll call.

If you are going to Palermo you will be at the other end of the island to see Taormina. However, there is plenty to see in Palermo. The old Norman palace is fascinating and, of, course, Monreale is a must see just outside Palermo. There is also the valley of the Temples in Agrigento which has some of the best preserved Greek temples in the Mediterranean. Closer to Palermo than Agrigento there is a beautiful Greek temple in Segesta.

The Amalfi coast would be a good choice after Pompeii. I would visit Amalfi and Ravello and, if there is time, Positano. I would skip Sorrento.

BTW - Positano is beautiful, but it involves parking off the road and walking a lot with the kids. It really depends on how much time you have.