Small coffeemaker

stoneharborlady

Not sure about Princess, but Carnival sez: No small kitchen appliances allowed in cabins. And, by the way, their coffee is really good! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Festivale 1987
Carnivale 1988
Mardi Gras 1989
Pacific Princess 1990
Norway 1994
Holiday 2001
Holiday 2002
Holiday 2003

Consider using the Melitta one-cup cone. You put a Melitta size 2 coffee filter in it, put in the desired amount of grounds, and set it on top of your mug. Pour boiling water over the grounds and the filtered coffee drips into your cup.

Stella Solaris '80
Carnival Celebration '92
RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01
Coral Princess '04

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The coffee on the Coral Princess was one of our highlights of the trip. Even my wife, who does not like coffee, loved theirs. We talk about it all of the time. We just wished that we knew what it was. We had room serve always keeping us supplied with a pot.

It probably is more dependent on your taste.

Enjoy the trip. Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I had a long discussion with one of the crew on Golden on our last cruise about the coffee. Basically, it would be impossible for them to brew enough coffee to satisfy so many passengers. The coffee is made with a syrup concentrate. I assume most repeat cruisers are aware of this. I actually enjoy the coffee on Princess. It is very good. Carnival coffee is a different story altogether....

Jeff

The Melita one-cup is a great idea, and it makes very good coffee -- often better than automatic drip (which isn't saying much, I know, but heck...) Another idea would be French Press, but I'd be worried about the glass.

I agree about the French press. You can buy the ones that only make a single cup of coffee, so the actual glass part is not much bigger than a small glass. Of course, you'll need to bring your own grounds to make it with and order hot water from room service or get it up on Horizon Court.

TinaLee :)

• 2 weeks later...
I took a small coffee pot on our last cruise NCL Majesty. Never even considered it a no-no, and the cabin stewards never said anything. If you're used to a certain type of coffee (Starbucks for me) I find the ship coffee too weak, as we found out on our first cruise. We spent a lot of $$$ purchasing latte's and cappuccino's at the speciality shop.

Wouldn't you think a curling iron or personal hair dryer be considered a small appliance?

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting...I find ship's coffee too strong and always have the waiter bring extra hot water. To each his own, I guess. I personally think Starbucks tastes like someone butted their cigarette in it.

• 1 month later...
I've only been on Princess once several years ago and I seem to remember the coffee was absolutely awful then too. I have learned from other lines though that if you get coffee in the dining room it usually tastes better than the stuff you get on the buffet lines. I'm not sure why, maybe it's fresher? Good luck..maybe they have a "starbucks" type cafe? Life is too short to drink bad coffee!!!

Archived