Changing Last Name

hollins2007

This may be better suited for a different forum, but I wondered how easy/difficult it is to do this through Norwegian, since that's the cruise I'll be sailing in later this year...

Background: FI and I are getting married in early June. We're not going on our honeymoon cruise until early September. I'll be changing my last name to his.

Since we're not honeymooning right after the wedding, I'm wondering is 3 months enough time to legally change everything over (including ID's - not necessarily passport, since we're staying in the U.S. the whole time)?

In addition, what is the process through NCL to have my last name changed on my reservation? Since obviously it will need to match my new ID. I've seen on their website that there may be fees for name changes, but that's more if it's a new guest in the room, versus the same guest having a name change?

I'd rather not wait until after the honeymoon to change my name over, but at the same time, wondering how much of a hassle it may be if I try to do it in that 3-month timeframe. Has anyone been through this before?

Thank you in advance!!!

I have been married for over six years and didn't change the name on my passport, so I always sailed under my maiden name. My passport just expired, so I renewed with my new name, and it was easy for NCL to change my name on my current reservation. To avoid stress of worrying, maybe just keep the reservation under your maiden name, and don't change your passport over until after the cruise.

I had a friend sailing with me that changed back to her maiden name and changed her passport three weeks prior to sailing. I contacted NCL by phone with the name change and they added the new info at no charge. I was able to go online that day and finish our preboarding info with the new last name and passport number. NCL very helpful, you should give them a call.

I got married 2 years ago and changed my name. It took me about 3 months to get just my new SS card and drivers license. I actually did my passport last so I had a legal ID in my maiden name if I needed it. It would be a tight timeline for you to get everything done before your cruise - I'd recommend cruising in your maiden name to save some stress.

I would change everything except your passport, then use your passport and maiden name for the cruise (and any accompanying air travel). When you return from your honeymoon, change your passport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d book and travel under your maiden name. 3 months is a tight timeline like someone else mentioned.

I was married in March ‘17, and my social security card took a month and then my license took at least that long. And you need to have the updated documentation if you want to change your passport.

With June being a popular wedding month I am sure it takes longer to process name changes and whatnot with the various federal / state agencies.

My passport is in my maiden name still but I travel with my married name. I just use drivers license and birth certificate as my Identification. I bring my passport in the event of an emergency as well as a copy of my marriage license (but I've never been asked for it). I would think a name change due to marriage would be free, as long as no date of birth change. (The same goes for most airlines)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Unless you are sailing Hawaii every other ship in the Norwegian fleet must stop in at least one foreign port.

Like the previous reply, leave your reservation in the name listed on your passport.

We are sailing in Hawaii, so this is why I said I won't need to change the passport right away :)

I’d book and travel under your maiden name. 3 months is a tight timeline like someone else mentioned.

I was married in March ‘17, and my social security card took a month and then my license took at least that long. And you need to have the updated documentation if you want to change your passport.

With June being a popular wedding month I am sure it takes longer to process name changes and whatnot with the various federal / state agencies.

Thank you! I won't need the passport since we're only going to be in Hawaii, no foreign ports, but wasn't sure about other ID's (SSN card, state driver's license, etc). I'll probably just wait until after we get back from the cruise, then. Again, I wasn't sure if 3 months was long enough or not! But knowing the government, things can take time, and realizing that June is popular, yeah... probably best to wait :)

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

• 5 months later...

Hey all, know this thread is old, but wanted to provide an update! I got married a month ago (yay!) and decided to do the name change process before my cruise in September (passport not required, though I'm going to probably start that process next week).

My paperwork from the court said to wait 2 weeks after the ceremony to request copies of my marriage license, so I waited until 2.5 weeks, probably? Called and they had them so I went down there to physically pick up so I didn't have to wait to mail the request and wait for them to mail the copies. Right after I went to SSA to start the SSN name change process. Received my updated card a week later. Went to the DMV the next day to change my name with the state DMV, and it looks like from informed delivery with USPS I should get my new driver's license today (a week later).

I haven't updated with Norwegian yet but will plan to contact them probably beginning of next week to see about changing my name over on my account/cruise reservation (as I booked directly through the cruise line).

So a little over a month and I have pretty much all but my passport and banks changed over to my new name. I know different states/localities may go differently in terms of getting marriage license copies and the DMV process, but wanted to update that 3 months can be doable to do the name change. Obviously, for those needing to change the passport over may be different (I think I read 4-6 weeks for that... though I would've started that process right after getting my marriage license a couple of weeks ago).

Hey all, know this thread is old, but wanted to provide an update! I got married a month ago (yay!) and decided to do the name change process before my cruise in September (passport not required, though I'm going to probably start that process next week).

My paperwork from the court said to wait 2 weeks after the ceremony to request copies of my marriage license, so I waited until 2.5 weeks, probably? Called and they had them so I went down there to physically pick up so I didn't have to wait to mail the request and wait for them to mail the copies. Right after I went to SSA to start the SSN name change process. Received my updated card a week later. Went to the DMV the next day to change my name with the state DMV, and it looks like from informed delivery with USPS I should get my new driver's license today (a week later).

I haven't updated with Norwegian yet but will plan to contact them probably beginning of next week to see about changing my name over on my account/cruise reservation (as I booked directly through the cruise line).

So a little over a month and I have pretty much all but my passport and banks changed over to my new name. I know different states/localities may go differently in terms of getting marriage license copies and the DMV process, but wanted to update that 3 months can be doable to do the name change. Obviously, for those needing to change the passport over may be different (I think I read 4-6 weeks for that... though I would've started that process right after getting my marriage license a couple of weeks ago).

Thanks for the update! Happy to hear the changes aren't taking too long.

Enjoy your cruise..................