E303 on the Star seems larger on deck plan

Tfish

I was finally assigned E303 on the Star; I was hoping for a partially obstructed vs obstructed view.

Just checked the location on Star Princess deck plans and it seems larger than most of the "outsides".

Any comments? Anyone ever have this room?

Thanks

Yes, sometimes those dots are very difficult to see. I think they should use a "wheelchair" symbol, which is usually easier to see.

Way back in the good old days (there I go again), ship deck plans were printed like road maps - and they were real easy to read - but hard to fold correctly.

• 4 years later...

Hi--We were just assigned E303 on the Star. It is above the steakhouse on the Promenade Deck and just aft and above the theatre. I am concerned about noise from both these places, especially late at night. Does anyone know noise at night in that area of the ship? Thank you very much.

Actually we have been in E303 and could hear music (noise) from the theatre. It was only during the time of the evening shows and since we usually went to sleep after the last show, it didn't bother us. But I suppose that if you went to bed earlier than that it could affect you somewhat. We never heard it during the day, so the activities that were in the theatre in the day such as the movie and bingo didn't create any noise that we could hear.

I have a question. You are using the term "assignment", so I assume that you have booked a guarantee. Is this correct? Is this for your Star sailing in October?

I don't think you will have any noise problems. While your cabin is in the vicinity of the two areas mentioned, it is actually smack dab over the entry to the gents. Should not be noisy.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply and for the information. I appreciate it!

Actually we have been in E303 and could hear music (noise) from the theatre. It was only during the time of the evening shows and since we usually went to sleep after the last show, it didn't bother us. But I suppose that if you went to bed earlier than that it could affect you somewhat. We never heard it during the day, so the activities that were in the theatre in the day such as the movie and bingo didn't create any noise that we could hear.

I have a question. You are using the term "assignment", so I assume that you have booked a guarantee. Is this correct? Is this for your Star sailing in October?

Thanks so much for your prompt response. Yes, it is for October.

I think I used the term "assigned" incorrectly. We had originally booked an inside cabin, midship on Caribe deck, as we have taken 11 cruises, 90% of which were inside cabins and it never bothered me. But we cruised in April in an inside and I really was uncomfortable. I called the TA from the car on the drive home and asked him to switch it to an outside. He said Princess told him this was all the outside that was available, other than a guarantee or a balcony. I was afraid a guarantee would put us too far forward or aft and we didn't want a balcony. I did not have access to a deck plan and had to make a decision while on the phone, so relied on the TA's advice. Now I am having serious second thoughts about several things with the room situation, but the ship is just about sold out, so I can't change it.

Any suggestions?

I guess the last show is over around Midnight?

Thanks for your help.

You do realize this is a wheelchair accessible stateroom and is actually an obstructed view outside, not a regular outside?

The shows in the theatre are usually finished before midnight. Sometimes there is a late night adult comedy show in the theatre that is after midnight once during the cruise.

After final payment, often a lot of rooms open up, as travel agents are often holding large blocks and also some people who book decide to switch to another date or cancel or whatever. So if you watch the week of final payment and then for a week or two afterward, you will likely see many rooms available.

In addition, while it is not a sure thing, many people who book a guarantee this early get upgraded, as Princess will upgrade people in the lower categories to higher categories because the rooms at the lower categories sell better. So you might consider a guarantee.

Also, something that you might want to know about if you are concerned about noise. The room is near the forward elevators, including the crew elevator. There is a doorway not directly across from the room but only a few feet down, leading to the crew elevator. We didn't notice a lot of noise through the week (mainly room service carts in the morning), but on the last night, when they are loading the luggage, it was fairly noisy. However, we are up fairly late on the last night too, so it didn't bother us. But it could be a concern for anyone who sleeps earlier and is bothered by noise.

Thanks so much for your prompt response. Yes, it is for October.

I think I used the term "assigned" incorrectly. We had originally booked an inside cabin, midship on Caribe deck, as we have taken 11 cruises, 90% of which were inside cabins and it never bothered me. But we cruised in April in an inside and I really was uncomfortable. I called the TA from the car on the drive home and asked him to switch it to an outside. He said Princess told him this was all the outside that was available, other than a guarantee or a balcony. I was afraid a guarantee would put us too far forward or aft and we didn't want a balcony. I did not have access to a deck plan and had to make a decision while on the phone, so relied on the TA's advice. Now I am having serious second thoughts about several things with the room situation, but the ship is just about sold out, so I can't change it.

Any suggestions?

I guess the last show is over around Midnight?

Thanks for your help.

Goodness, but I think it is wrong to book an wheelchair accessible cabin when you are not in a wheelchair. What about a person who is in a wheelchair? How are they supposed to be able to cruise? There are so few of these cabins (less than 1%) and should go to people who require them. These cabins are larger for a reason so a wheelchair can maneuver. Also these are the only cabins that the door ways are wide enough so a wheelchair can get in to the cabin. So if these cabins are booked by able bodied, people in wheelchairs can not cruise. Surely you don't want to keep someone disabled from cruising. However if you keep this cabin that is what you are doing.

I'm sure a regular cabin will open up. Please keep checking or switch to a guarantee. The cruise doesn't go out until October. Change your cabin if at all possible.

Those of us who are confined to wheelchair as myself will thank you.

I also question the ethics of your TA. He looks at deck plans all day he knows which cabins are accessible and which are not. He should have told you.

Dear "Montgomeryfamily"...

Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate your observations and input. I am new to these boards and was not sure how long a message I could post. The rest of my message was:

I absolutely do not agree with Princess's practice of putting passengers in an HA cabin who do not qualify. It should be reserved for someone who really needs it. The TA said this close to sale date, the cruise lines sometimes do that and if Princess needed the cabin, they would move us. But on an almost sold out ship, where do they move you? I was very much aware that it was a wheelchair accessible room and I was very perturbed by that.

I think my overall issues about this room are too serious to let ride. I don't think I would feel right about being in that cabin, knowing I don't need it and someone else might. I am going to talk to my TA about moving us on Monday. This has left me with a very poor impression of Princess, though we have cruised on them before and been very pleased.

Thank you again for your help.

Goodness, but I think it is wrong to book an wheelchair accessible cabin when you are not in a wheelchair. What about a person who is in a wheelchair? How are they supposed to be able to cruise? There are so few of these cabins (less than 1%) and should go to people who require them. These cabins are larger for a reason so a wheelchair can maneuver. Also these are the only cabins that the door ways are wide enough so a wheelchair can get in to the cabin. So if these cabins are booked by able bodied, people in wheelchairs can not cruise. Surely you don't want to keep someone disabled from cruising. However if you keep this cabin that is what you are doing.

I'm sure a regular cabin will open up. Please keep checking or switch to a guarantee. The cruise doesn't go out until October. Change your cabin if at all possible.

I also question the ethics of your TA. He looks at deck plans all day he knows which cabins are accessible and which are not. He should have told you.

In this case I don't think it is the OP's fault. He requested a new assignment (from inside to outside). Princess is the once that assigned/ authorized that room booking knowing that it is a wheelchair accessible room. If a disabled persons needs that room, then Princess can contact the OP and request to move him to an equal or higher category stateroom.

Princess cannot block a room until days before departure just in case a disabled person calls.

Dear Sredheada:

First of all, please know I am in 100% agreement with your comments. Ever since this change occurred a few weeks ago, I have been uncomfortable with it for so many reasons.

I am new to these boards and was unsure of the length of message allowed, so I was just asking about "secondary reasons" to change. I already had the primary reason, but did not know if that was enough. The rest of the message which I deleted and saved was:

I absolutely do not agree with Princess's practice of putting passengers in an HA cabin who do not qualify. It should be reserved for someone who really needs it. The TA said this close to sale date, the cruise lines sometimes do that and if Princess needed the cabin at any point in time, Princess would move us to equal or better. I was very much aware that it was a wheelchair accessible room and I was very perturbed by that.

I did not feel that it was necessary to discuss that on the board because I am quite clear how I feel about it. But I guess I was just looking for more information to include in my comments to the TA about my overall dissatisfaction with the room so that they would have to move us now.

I think my overall issues about this room are too serious to let them ride. I would not feel right about being in that cabin, knowing I don't need it and someone else might. I am going to talk to my TA on Monday about doing whatever it takes. This has left me with a very poor impression of Princess, though we have cruised on them before and been very pleased.

Please know that I called Princess directly when this happened and asked about the policy of assigning us to the HA room, then moving us if it was needed. They assured me that, indeed, is their policy, especially at this point in time before sail date. Again, I am disappointed in Princess, as I do not agree with that policy. Those rooms should remain unassigned until some reasonable time past final payment.

Thank you for taking the time to write. Please know I wholeheartedly support your position and will devote my efforts to resolving this on Monday.

3Munchkins, we also appreciate your concern about booking a wheelchair accessible stateroom when you have no need of such and also your comments.

However, you may not be able to move because of the other staterooms in the category being booked at this point and there may not be any guarantees left. But it is very common for availability to open up near/immediately after final payment, so I encourage you to just keep that in mind and check on stateroom availability at least at that time. The farther down toward midship, the quieter the stateroom would be, especially away from that crew door.

We also do not agree with Princess' attitude and "policies" associated with wheelchair accessible staterooms. Since you are relatively new to these boards and to Princess, you are not familar with this. However, Princess does not actually block, reserve, or set aside wheelchair accessible staterooms, unlike many other cruise lines. In addition, contrary to what your TA and a Princess representative told you, Princess does NOT generally move able bodied people who are in a wheelchair accessible stateroom so someone that needs the stateroom can book it. Instead, the stateroom is taken out of the inventory and the disabled customer is told that nothing is available. Princess does not note on the system that the passengers currently booked are able bodied nor that the passengers are willing to book. And, with rare exceptions, Princess will not contact those abled bodied passengers who have booked such rooms and ask them to move or involuntary move them.

Since one of our family members is in a wheelchair, we have first hand experience in dealing with Princess. Also reading the disabled board on CC and in other forums, you will find others have experienced the same problem. While many disabled have complained and written to Princess regarding their "policy" (or lack thereof) in handling wheelchair accessible staterooms, I believe it would be more effective if the able bodied passengers who disagree with Princess' handling to also write and complain. It does no good to complain to those telephone representatives, who are often fountains of misinformation anyway. I urge you to take the time to write to Princess management and express your disappointment and disagreement as to how Princess cruise line manages these staterooms.

Hi Montgomeryfamily:

Thank you so much for your advice and comments. This morning, I did go directly to Princess' website and try to book an outside obstructed, to see what was available. There was no guarantees available, but only waitlist. I will follow both of your suggestions (writing Princess now and checking at time of final payment). I am really appalled by what you have said about Princess' practices. It is now all about it being the HA stateroom than the location. Thanks again for all your help.

Princess is not allowed by law to ask a person if they are handicapped, so if a reservation is made for this type cabin, Princess has no way of knowing if it is really needed or not.

Probably the travel agent knew it was not needed in this case (but is also prohibited from asking).

However, if this was the only cabin available in the category and if waitlisted is the only type a new passenger can book, then both the handicapped and non-handicapped cannot get a cabin booked.

3munchkins,

Thank you for your kind comments about accessible cabins and Princess' lack of policy regarding them.

Being in a wheelchair full time I know something about Princess' policy on booking accessible cabins. Actually they have no policy. Since Princess does not help us we depend on the honor system. That people who are able bodied leave them for those in wheelchairs. Unfortunately in this day and age, some people don't care. Able bodied pax regularly book these rooms so they can get a bigger cabin. Sad but true.

Princess regularly tells people that they will move able bodied people out of accessible cabins if needed. This is NOT true. When a cabin is booked it is taken out of inventory. If someone disabled calls we are told sorry not available. Believe me I have tried to have abled bodied pax moved out of a HC cabin so I could cruise. Princess refused to move pax. In fact they even refused to call them and ask. So what they say and what they do are two different things.

Once on NCL the special needs department called the able bodied pax who happened to be booked in a handicapped room. The people booked in this cabin refused to move. So NCL would not move them.

Thank you again for trying to move. I think something will open up as final payment isnt due yet.

In this case I don't think it is the OP's fault. He requested a new assignment (from inside to outside). Princess is the once that assigned/ authorized that room booking knowing that it is a wheelchair accessible room. If a disabled persons needs that room, then Princess can contact the OP and request to move him to an equal or higher category stateroom.

Princess cannot block a room until days before departure just in case a disabled person calls.

Yes, Princess authorized this, however, this doesnt make it the right thing to do. Princess is out to make money not to make correct ethical or moral decisions.

As I already said Princess does not and will not move abled bodied people booked in HC cabins. They often dont know if the people in the HC cabin are disabled or not and they really don't care.

Of course Princess can't block a room until days before departure. We arent asking for that. But it would be nice if they held them till final payment time at least.

Archived