Just back from the grand , open to questions!

Trvlbugs

Will be our first time on the Grand, just wondering how you would rate the overall experience. Our room is L223, any comments on that.

Was the ship full, any difficulty getting lounge chairs at the pools.

Thanks

Just returned, let me know if you have any questions or need any advice!:D

When was Carribbean dinner night and when were the two formal evenings? How was the weather (temperature/clouds/precipitation)?

Did you dine in the Sterling steakhouse? If so, how was it? How difficult was embarkation? Disembarkation? Am I asking too much? :)

Thanks!

I am going on the Grand this coming February, and I am also looking for any information or reviews (especially recent ones!). I am surprised at how few reviews are posted about the Grand Princess and the Western Caribbean trip. I realize that the Grand just got back from the European circuit in mid November, but I would think that out of the thousands of passengers that have sailed on her over the last few weeks, there would be more reviews posted on different cruise sites... Dying for some recent information on how the ship looks, how the ports are, what the good, bad, and ugly things are.

Looking forwared to your responses to all the questions Trvlbugs!!!

Trvlbugs must be out Christmas shopping. Hopefully they'll be back on the boards soon.

I was thinking the same thing!:D

Am looking forward to our cruise, have to research cruise sites to see if I can find the Caribbean dining room menu:)

Hi, In belize we went out on a shore excursion snorkeling to rendevouz cay, We were taken out by catamaran and anchored by this cool little island made up of coch shells. We saw amazing coral and then were allowed time to hang out on the island, kayak or drink rum punch. It was great, the staff wonderful on the ship. People who went ashore just to shop didnt seem to love it so much. I recommend either a jungle excursion or the water.... have fun!

You can sign up for express disembarkation. i think they started to announce these at about 6:30am. so there is for sure no sleeping in! We were the second to last group off the ship and were off about 10"30. thanks for your question!

If you would like to read my review i did post one last week sometime, but that happens to be more of the problems we encountered.

So, let me answer some ?'s here. Carribean night i believe was on monday night and we skipped that one. We didnt get a chance to eat in sterlings or sabatinis, but heard they were great. I liked the atmosphere better in sabitinis. I think formal night was sunday and thursday. The dining room is always cold so dress accordingly, as a matter of fact, the whole ship was cold and i was wishing i brought more long sleeved clothing., this may have been to our weather that week. We had rain and cold into and out of galveston and clouds in belize and grand caymen and cozymel. Our only real day of heat and sun was in costa maya. There we went to the beach across from hotel mahajual and sat under a palapa. be warned lots of kids and entertainers of sort wanting you to buy things from them, oh and lots of stray dogs wandering, most very loving and friendly. Getting on the ship in galveston was a breeze, took about 30 minutes tops. We got to the ship around 2:30. Getting off was pretty easy as well.

i hope i answered your quesitons, feel free to ask away. Sorry it took so long.

Trvlbugs,

Thank you very much for your willingness to keep us updated. I think I have read some of your other threads as well about your cruise, and I appreciate all the information.

I have never been to the Caribbean before, and my Grand Princess trip this coming February will only be my second cruise, but I am really looking forward to it. I am also a scuba diver and I am trying to plan (as best as possible) what to do in the ports. I am really confused as to why the ship gets into Belize at 6:30am and leaves at 1:30 in the afternoon?!?! Anyway, I am sure it has to do with scheduling, but here is my big question: As a scuba diver, Belize has always been one of those places I have wanted to go and dive, and Princess is offering a dive excursion that leaves DIRECTLY from the ship. This would hopefully keep me away from any potential tendering hassles, but I have read that diving excursions offered by cruise ships aren't always the best, and this one is certainly expensive. Also, my wife and kids aren't divers, so if I do this excursion, I'll be doing it on my own. HOWEVER, the Rendezvous Cay excursion sounds REALLY tempting, and I could bring my family on this one. I assume I won't be able to scuba, but I am so looking forward to clear, beautiful, Caribbean water, and snorkeling and swimming on a small secluded island sounds almost as nice as diving. Do you have any thoughts on which excursion I should take? My kids are 5 and 8, but they love the beach and they are both excellent swimmers. Are the excursion guides pretty restrictive, or do they let you snorkel and swim as much as you'd like, where ever you'd like? Any details about the Rendezvou Cay excursion would be greatly appreciated!

Lastly, since Cozumel is now a tender port, and with all of the tender problems at Grand Cayman, I think I am just going to stay on the ship at these ports, as I am afraid of spoiling my precious vacation days. Besides, the ship is the MAIN reason I am going on this cruise, although it is depressing to think I'll miss out on the pristine waters and diving Grand Cayman. Is it worth the hassle to deal with the tender situation do you think?

Thanks again for any advice or information. Oh, and where did you post your review??? I'd love to read it.

Lastly, since Cozumel is now a tender port, and with all of the tender problems at Grand Cayman, I think I am just going to stay on the ship at these ports, as I am afraid of spoiling my precious vacation days. Besides, the ship is the MAIN reason I am going on this cruise, although it is depressing to think I'll miss out on the pristine waters and diving Grand Cayman. Is it worth the hassle to deal with the tender situation do you think?

- Don't stay on the ship at Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Either bring a book while you're waiting in line to tender or wait a couple of hours until there's not as many people trying to get on the tenders all at once. Also, if you sign up for an excursion, you'll be some of the first people on the tender!

Trvlbugs,

Thank you very much for your willingness to keep us updated. I think I have read some of your other threads as well about your cruise, and I appreciate all the information.

I have never been to the Caribbean before, and my Grand Princess trip this coming February will only be my second cruise, but I am really looking forward to it. I am also a scuba diver and I am trying to plan (as best as possible) what to do in the ports. I am really confused as to why the ship gets into Belize at 6:30am and leaves at 1:30 in the afternoon?!?! Anyway, I am sure it has to do with scheduling, but here is my big question: As a scuba diver, Belize has always been one of those places I have wanted to go and dive, and Princess is offering a dive excursion that leaves DIRECTLY from the ship. This would hopefully keep me away from any potential tendering hassles, but I have read that diving excursions offered by cruise ships aren't always the best, and this one is certainly expensive. Also, my wife and kids aren't divers, so if I do this excursion, I'll be doing it on my own. HOWEVER, the Rendezvous Cay excursion sounds REALLY tempting, and I could bring my family on this one. I assume I won't be able to scuba, but I am so looking forward to clear, beautiful, Caribbean water, and snorkeling and swimming on a small secluded island sounds almost as nice as diving. Do you have any thoughts on which excursion I should take? My kids are 5 and 8, but they love the beach and they are both excellent swimmers. Are the excursion guides pretty restrictive, or do they let you snorkel and swim as much as you'd like, where ever you'd like? Any details about the Rendezvou Cay excursion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for any advice or information. Oh, and where did you post your review??? I'd love to read it.

The snorkel trip to Rendezvous Cay is excellent. Unlike some others, the guides did not herd us in the water. I don't even remember if one went in the water.:) The island is tiny and surrounded by a reef. Lots of coral and marine life. The cat anchors near the island where it's easy to wade in and enjoy the beach. It also picks up and drops off at the ship.

Even though there are few ships in Belize, making the tendering more efficient, the short time in port makes me hesitant to book independently.

The Rendezvous Cay trip should work for the whole family. Even if they don't snorkel, they can enjoy the boat ride and beach.

I took this tour last March and have signed up for it again!

I would for sure say do the rendevouz tour through the ship. we had a catamaran and it was super nice and the staff really fun. The beach and snorkeling are pretty nice and good for the whole familly if you cant dive.

We were picked up right from the ship and that was soooo great. Do it!!!!

Second, even with all the tendering problems in the caymens i cant stress enough the stingrays. There is a combined snorkel and stingray tour. I think it leaves about 1. Great staff and super cool experience. Your family will all love this one.

Cozymel if it is sunny, i hear paradise beach is a great stop for a family beach day. Let me know if you need anymore advice!!

Just off the Grand yesterday and can share my experiences in Cayman, Belize and Cozumel. At Cayman, got tender tickets early and we took a taxi to 7-Mile Beach. Everything was expensive at Palm Beach Club - lunch was $10 Cayman, frozen drinks $7.50 for about 10-12 oz. The food was wonderful, we had burgers/fries. The water is beautiful, a little chilly at first and rocky until just past your kneecaps. Water shoes would be perfect to get past the rocks. We had a wonderful day.

We took the Rendezvous Cay snorkel cat and had a great time. It rained on the way there, was a little chilly when you first got in the water, but the sun came out and it felt great. The thing I like about this trip was that the experienced snorkelers got in the water from the right side of the cat and the beginners from the left side. The right side snorkelers followed the guide on a long trail. There was a guy in a kayak paddling around to help people if they needed it. On the beginners side, they swam to the shallows where they received some instruction on how to put on the equipment, then put their faces in the water and practicied breathing through the snorkel. They then followed to guide on a "mini" trail to a styrofoam platform, then to another platform. I watched them a bit and thought it was great for beginners to do it that way. We snorkeled a bit then waded to the beach, got a mat and a rum punch and rested for a bit. When it was time to return, the music started playing the rum punch was flowing. We had a great time on top deck doing line dancing and stayed up there even through some sprinkles. We had a great day.

We got early tender tickets for Cozumel and were at Paradise beach by noon. The chairs were free, the food was awesome, and we had a great day.

The key is to get in line early for tender tickets if you are going independent in any of these ports. I got in line 45 minutes early for Cayman and 1 hour early for Cozumel and we were on the 2nd tenders in both ports. Bring a book to read while in line, or have a family member relieve you after 30 minutes. Worked out great.

Thanks Travlbug, at least you didn't make everything sound so awful. We're going in February, have been on this itinerary before, and from what others have said, I was sorry we booked this whole thing. This is our first time on Princess.

Jbob, I am sure that your children will love the Stingrays. We have booked it on the pier once we got off, and its the same thing for alot less money than a ship's excursion. As I recall, Cayman is a tender port anyway, it has nothing to do with the Hurricanes, unlike Cozumel. In Cozumel, we like going to the beach, and have gone to Playa Sol in the past, but someone said they thought that it was now Playa Mia, and Paradise Beach seems similar. Its a very relaxing day, and also something you can do on your own, just pay when you get there for what you want. At Playa Mia there is a pool and restaurant, in addition to the beach, and various water things to use, and they can go snorkeling if they want. After 11 cruises, last year I bought my son his own snorkel and fins, so we don't have to worry about renting them. Will take them again this year. You may want to try that for your kids, especially if you can teach them how to snorkel.

Hope this is a good experience for all of you. If you think your kids might get sea-sick, we use the wrist bands, which I find very helpful, and take both the non-drowsy and regular version of generic dramamine. its the worst when they feel sick on the ship, and it is likely that this could happen in and out of Galveston.

Archived