Disney Dream Status, Restricted Maneuverability on Tracker!

Thunderknite

I was wasting time doing some cruise ship tracking. I found Disney Dream just outside of Freeport pointed towards Florida with a reported destination of West Palm Beach, this was about 10 minutes ago. It was also reporting Restricted Maneuverability and a speed of 2.4 kts. I refreshed the page after searching twitter for clues and she has jumped back to just outside Nassau, reported Jan 24, 2018 01:15 UTC.

Does anyone have any information or news on her status?

She showed back up:

Speed/Course:2.7kn / 290°

Draught:8.6m

Show Previous Track

Itineraries History

Received: 4 minutes ago (AIS Source:5007 )

Edited by Thunderknite

That's odd. I just checked on Marinetraffic.com and it's showing 2.5 knots headed for West Palm Beach, position received 7 minutes ago. I can only figure two possibilities - (1) a medical emergency aboard, but that wouldn't explain the low speed, or (2) a mechanical problem requiring them to get to a port for repairs. Interesting. I'll be curious to find out what the story is.

• The term "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel. The term [Int] "vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver" shall [Int] include but not be limited to:

• A vessel engaged in laying, servicing, or picking up a navigational mark, submarine cable or pipeline;

• A vessel engaged in dredging, surveying or underwater operations;

• A vessel engaged in replenishment or transferring persons, provisions or cargo while underway;

• A vessel engaged in the launching or recovery of aircraft;

• A vessel engaged in mine clearance operations;

• A vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their course.

want an opinion of a sailor?

Here's DREAM's trackline since leaving Castaway

enhance

Today is a 'sea day' is it not? And they are due in Canaveral in the morning? So what this track tells me is today they have been slowly sailing that direction while staying south of Grand Bahama Island which is providing shelter from the winds out of the north which are a bit blustery today ...

beyond this I believe you're seeing 'sloppy' programming of the AIS transmitter.

a) I sincerely doubt they are headed to West Palm ..... MAYBE if there was need for a MEDIVAC but the speed does not suggest this. I suspect someone fat fingered the 'destination' port .... we'll know soon as they should actually turn north and start the run to Canaveral b4 too long.

b) as shown above by the meaning of 'restricted in ability to maneuver' in the rules of the road, a cruise ship by its nature is almost NEVER going to have this status (additional legitimate reason for this staus includes: helo operations underway such as a USCG medivac, raising/lowering boats such as an MOB recovery). IF the restriction were due to a mechancal issue then the proper status is "not under command". I suspect thet the 'restricted' status is being shown because when sitting at bare steerage way as DREAM has been, they can not maneuver in a timely manner to fulfill their obligations under the rules for two ships meeting at sea where 'risk of collision exists' meaning one or both must maneuver to keep clear. Bare steerage is the speed at which they can just keep control of which way the ship is pointed which is what you want if technically drfifting but wanting to control the way the ship is pointed to the seas and wind. At 'bare steerage' speed DREAM can't do their part in a meeting or crossing situation IAW the rules of the road and is attempting to convey this to approaching vessels by the technically incorrect status in the AIS transponder ....

Just educated guesses based on years of sitting in the Captain's chair of Coast Guard Cutters - and working the particular area in discussion for 10 years or so ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

want an opinion of a sailor?

Here's DREAM's trackline since leaving Castaway

enhance

Today is a 'sea day' is it not? And they are due in Canaveral in the morning? So what this track tells me is today they have been slowly sailing that direction while staying south of Grand Bahama Island which is providing shelter from the winds out of the north which are a bit blustery today ...

beyond this I believe you're seeing 'sloppy' programming of the AIS transmitter.

a) I sincerely doubt they are headed to West Palm ..... MAYBE if there was need for a MEDIVAC but the speed does not suggest this. I suspect someone fat fingered the 'destination' port .... we'll know soon as they should actually turn north and start the run to Canaveral b4 too long.

b) as shown above by the meaning of 'restricted in ability to maneuver' in the rules of the road, a cruise ship by its nature is almost NEVER going to have this status (a legitimate reason for this staus includes: helo operations underway such as a USCG medivac, raising/lowering boats such as a MOB recovery). IF the restriction were due to a mechancal issue then the proper status is "not under command". I suspect thet the 'restricted' status is being shown because when sitting at bare steerage way as DREAM has been, they can not maneuver in a timely manner to fulfill their obligations under the rules for two ships meeting at sea where 'risk of collision exists' meaning one or both must maneuver to keep clear. At 'bare steerage' speed DREAM can't do their part and is attempting to convey this to approaching vessels by the technically incorrect staus in the AIS transponder ....

This all makes sense. West Palm Beach does have them as a forecasted arrival tomorrow. But I'm not sure the port could handle a ship of the size. Guess we will wait and see if she speeds up

West Palm Beach does have them as a forecasted arrival tomorrow.

Well THAT's curious ..... cuz I just checked the PC schedule and they are due at 0530 at their regular berth ..... where's the sched you're looking at? The one I find does not list the cruise berth, just the cargo. Does it say DISNEY or DCL DREAM specifically .... cuz there is more than one DREAM .... Carnival for example .... not that I believe that one is going to WPB either.

and I agree that having been into the Port of West Palm Beach, I doubt DREAM would fit! Certainly not at their cruise pier .... and the folks who boarded Monday in PC would sure be surprised!

Edited by Capt_BJ

MT now shows GRAND CELEBRATION having left Freeport on the way to West Palm ... her regular run .....

I wonder where DCL DREAM plans to park as WPB has ONE cruise berth .....

from its current position I suspect DCL DREAM will drop off MT/AIS tracking very soon ... or it will be intermittent at best.

{if you know how AIS works and how MarineTraffic.com works you'll understand .....}

ahhhhh

now shows 9 knots towards next port Port Canaveral

status still shows 'restricted maneuverability' confirming inattention in my mind .....

but as a CG Cutter Captain in the area, we had a good idea where they (cruise ships) were going . . . .

as a Commander in the 80's and 90's cruise ships were not our targets!!!!!

ahhhhh

now shows 9 knots towards next port Port Canaveral

status still shows 'restricted maneuverability' confirming inattention in my mind .....

but as a CG Cutter Captain in the area, we had a good idea where they (cruise ships) were going . . . .

as a Commander in the 80's and 90's cruise ships were not our targets!!!!!

Oooops. :o

You haven't cruised enough yet to second guess and confirm the intentions of a Cruise Ship Captain though. ;)

ex techie

According to an article in the Orlando Sentinel:

"A 46-year-old man had to be med-evaced from the Disney Dream cruise ship Thursday near West Palm Beach, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.The Coast Guard received a call from the ship, which was about 80 miles southeast of West Palm Beach, about a man in need of medical attention.A helicopter took the patient from the ship to St. Mary’s Medical Center in West Palm Beach."