GRAND Condition

WALKER1313

We have read many passengers speaking of numerous issues even after the latest remodel. For instances, poor overall long-term maintenance, leaking pipes with bucket water collection. I know that some of the active and trusted member cruise from SFO and will provide reliable information.

We’ve done 3 cruises on the grand as we are local to SF. Once we had a minor maintenance issue with a leaking pipe outside our cabin that had us dodging crew and buckets for a day. Didn’t mind it a bit. Never noticed any other issues. The Grand is our favorite ship with, in our opinion, the best crew in the fleet. Can’t wait for our next cruise on the Grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have read many passengers speaking of numerous issues even after the latest remodel. For instances, poor overall long-term maintenance, leaking pipes with bucket water collection. I know that some of the active and trusted member cruise from SFO and will provide reliable information.

We've been on the Grand four times in the last year. But we're not local. So I guess that counts me out.

We've been on the Grand four times in the last year. But we're not local. So I guess that counts me out.

You have cruised on the Grand recently, I was of the belief that the Grand has cruised from SFO and will cruise from SFO exclusively for a while. I could be wrong. So, I believe you meet the comment I made.

We will be in the Grand this summer to Alaska. I’ve read the mixed reviews as well. I also read many similar complainy reviews about the condition of the CB and I loved that ship. I consider myself a hotel snob and i couldn’t figure out what “conditions” people could have such an issue with. I would not be a happy guest if pipes were leaking in my room and causing me any discomfort though so I hope we do not experience that. On the Ruby in November we had an issue with the AC in our room not staying cold enough and they responded immediately to our complaint. Stuff happens and the crew does their best to fix problems.

Just disembarked on Monday. I thought the ship was in fine form. The crew works hard at maintaining outside areas as well as inside. I didn't notice buckets, etc. The furnishings were in good shape in our Caribe cabin and the bed was very comfortable. The balcony was perfect and we enjoyed an Ultimate Balcony Dinner for four adults - no crowding. The bathrooms are a little dated, but fully functional and we had no issues with the plumbing. Main areas including Vista, Explorers, Wheelhouse Lounge, One Five , pool areas and bars and the Horizon were all in excellent condition. The promenade deck was closed every night at the steps, which was a little irritating, but apparently high winds made this necessary. We had rocky seas from Cabo back to San Francisco, Grand Princess handled them well. I was concerned too, after reading some of the reviews. No big problems that I noticed..... enjoy!

On the grand right now another day out from Hilo. We think shes in good shape. Haven't noticed much that qould point to it not being well maintained. She's older but still beautiful. The thing I noticed immediately is the smaller atrium.

I would not hesitate to sail her again.

Aloha!!

Whoever is bad-mouthing the Grand Princess must be a lot pickier than I am. We just got off the ship Monday, and I thought it was a whole lot like any other Princess ship, meaning just fine.

I could see places where the carpet might be replaced (and I'm sure it will be eventually). But I saw no serious problems, and no buckets for catching drips. We had a great cruise and would not hesitate to book on the Grand again.

And as many have said, a great crew.

Jim

Walker1313, My last 12 cruises, 11 were on Grand Princess and the other ship was the Third Leg of Majestic Princess Maiden Voyage to China. The new Majestic had leaking pipes in the theater with seats roped off. On Deck 7 by the Chai Bar, there was also pipe leaking. The washing area before the World Fresh Marketplace Buffet had beach towel soaking up water daily. They did not have mats for that area. Yes, Grand is a grand old lady and showing some signs of aging. She is sound and so I can compare her to Majestic. Majestic is too large for my taste. Grand is so easy to get around and she has the best crew onboard. On the Christmas cruise, she had a 4 inch pipe break in the Horizon Court and the Starboard side of the Buffet was shut down. They open the two dining rooms, DaVinci and Michelangelo, and it worked out fine. Some passengers could not adjust and were frustrated. But life goes on and we adapt or pick a ship you think will offer you what you want. I'll be back on Grand, 4 times this year. We love her.

Just disembarked on Monday. I thought the ship was in fine form. The crew works hard at maintaining outside areas as well as inside. I didn't notice buckets, etc. The furnishings were in good shape in our Caribe cabin and the bed was very comfortable. The balcony was perfect and we enjoyed an Ultimate Balcony Dinner for four adults - no crowding. The bathrooms are a little dated, but fully functional and we had no issues with the plumbing. Main areas including Vista, Explorers, Wheelhouse Lounge, One Five , pool areas and bars and the Horizon were all in excellent condition. The promenade deck was closed every night at the steps, which was a little irritating, but apparently high winds made this necessary. We had rocky seas from Cabo back to San Francisco, Grand Princess handled them well. I was concerned too, after reading some of the reviews. No big problems that I noticed..... enjoy!

Which stateroom did you have. We will be on the Grand in a few months on Caribe deck as well. Stateroom C333.

We're sailing on the Grand in July. I read the reviews, as well, and promptly mixed them with a whole lot of salt. It's been my experience that reviewers on Cruise Critic share similar motivations to people on Yelp - i.e. that negativity is a stronger motivator than contentment. I've sailed on Princess enough at this point that I have faith in the quality of their product.

We sailed on the Grand last April. I have no complaints about the ship. A pipe did bust one day and it was near one of the elevators. They fixed it promptly. That could happen anywhere. Sure, she is a bit older and there were areas that the carpet did look like it was ready to be replaced, but it wasn't bad looking and didn't deter from a great cruise. The staff was exceptional. Everyone seemed friendly and like they were really happy to be there. Best staff we have seen on a cruise.

I'll be on the Grand again next Christmas. Will be the 5th time on her. Haven't had a bad cruise yet. I've seen some buckets here and there at times but there hasn't been any issues regarding the Grand that effected my cruise negatively.

Oh except for those slow #%$% elevators.....

We also sailed the Grand to Mexico in December and thought the ship was in fine condition. We had a wonderful cruise but thought the food and entertainment was a bit underwhelming, but wouldn’t hesitate to sail on her again.

Whoever is bad-mouthing the Grand Princess must be a lot pickier than I am. We just got off the ship Monday, and I thought it was a whole lot like any other Princess ship, meaning just fine.

I could see places where the carpet might be replaced (and I'm sure it will be eventually). But I saw no serious problems, and no buckets for catching drips. We had a great cruise and would not hesitate to book on the Grand again.

And as many have said, a great crew.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Were you on the 10-night Mexican Riviera itinerary? If so, do you recall which nights were formal night and what nights they offered the Crab Shack?

We sail the Grand on February 16th to Mexico.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Jim,

Were you on the 10-night Mexican Riviera itinerary? If so, do you recall which nights were formal night and what nights they offered the Crab Shack?

We sail the Grand on February 16th to Mexico.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul.

Yes, we were on the the 10-day Mexico itinerary. Formal nights were the second sea day and second to last day. Don't recall when they had Crab Shack, but it was at least twice.

Jim