Credit Card - Currency Conversion

G.M.T.

I have an Euro based Visa Card, according to the charge account form I can choose from two options to have my onboard account (US $) converted to €.

1. Celebrity converts the $ to € using Global Card Services plus 3% conversion fee.

2. Celebrity bills my Visa card in $ and the card issuer converts to €.

Anyone have any experience with this situation.

Thanks.

I have an Euro based Visa Card, according to the charge account form I can choose from two options to have my onboard account (US $) converted to €.

1. Celebrity converts the $ to € using Global Card Services plus 3% conversion fee.

2. Celebrity bills my Visa card in $ and the card issuer converts to €.

Anyone have any experience with this situation.

Thanks.

Yes you can choose. Get something like the UK Nationwide Credit Card with no conversion fees and almost commercial conversion rates. Brilliant. Check it out.

Always let your credit card company complete the conversion. That is the cheapest option.

You should check out if you can obtain a CC that does not charge conversion fees in your home country. In the UK there are several. Halifax Clarity and Post Office to name two. .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a Halifax Clarity CC which gives me the bulk exchange rate and no transaction fees. I always ask to be billed in the local currency ($ on ship, Euros in Europe).

Never let the seller do the conversion for you at point of sale as this is always more expensive.