Solo Female in Nassau, Safety??

Hydro ergo

Hi Hydro Ergo -

Have you been on your trip yet? What did you end up doing?

I'm in a similar situation (solo, female, heading to Nassau ... although not for months yet) and have been trying to figure out what to do. I do like some shopping, but not hours and hours of it. I was looking at some of the walking food/history tours as an option.

TIA.

Hi Lookn!

Sorry for such a delay...I haven't been on the boards for awhile and I just happened to notice your question! Have you sailed yet? If not, here is what I did in Nassau...and I had a wonderful day and never felt unsafe!

I booked the Island Highlights Sightseeing tour through Viator. It was $30 and I thought it was great. I do think I got a little lucky...there were quite a few people signed up, maybe around 45? So they split us between a bus and a 10 passenger van. Larger groups were sent to the bus, I ended up in the van. This was great because the tour guide was able to ask us about what we would like to do, and if he should make any modifications to stops. We stopped at the rum cake factory: small and gets crowded quick. A couple samples. I did buy a few rum cakes, I love them. Then off to Queen's Staircase. He asked if we wanted to stop at the Fort, but our group decided not to. Staircase was lovely. Tour guide drops you at the top, you walk down, and he meets you at the end. He did warn that people would probably try to give a narrated tour, but don't feel obligated to tip. This did happen to us. We stopped at Graycliff Chocolates, quick stop. There was also a cigar factory next door and a wine tasting across the street. Several in our group were interested in the wine tasting, so we went there. Not a wine drinker, but I greatly enjoyed their patio on a swing. Then off to Watling's Distillery. Also very interesting. He gave us the option to stop at Straw Market, but we declined, figured we could do that on our own if desired. Then he dropped some off at the beach and took the rest of us back to port. I asked the guide about stopping at Bahamian Cookin' for lunch. He said totally safe to walk there, so I did. Never felt unsafe. I HIGHLY recommend this spot for lunch. Very tasty and friendly staff. I did stop in at the straw market on my way back, figured I should. I'm not much of a shopper. Then I walked through the downtown area and took a few photos. It's very clear where the touristy areas are. I never felt unsafe and never felt hassled by peddlers either. I would definitely get off the ship in Nassau again.

I hope that helps, and I hope I wasn't too late! Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on doing a walking tour solo and this thread makes me wonder if that is a good idea. I know where I want to go and want to do the little tours at the chocolate place, rum place and cigar place so not sure booking a tour is worth it and if they will give me time to do those things. Maybe I'll try to find someone on the cruise to go with me. I don't think anyone in my group will be interested.

• 2 months later...

Hi -

I just wanted to follow up about this - I wandered around Nassau on my own, and had no problems whatsoever. I took a wrong turn while walking, ended up by Providence House, walked down the stairs nearby (which was really pretty), someone who appeared to possibly be homeless (or just sleeping on a low wall around the park/steps) politely asked if I wanted to have my picture taken, and when I declined, politely told me have a good day.

I wanted to go to Commonwealth fabrics, which was a bit out of the usual tourist area, and a cab quoted me $15 each way, and unspecified $ for waiting.  While I was walking towards the library (old prison), I asked another person, who suggested I just take the bus for $1.25 each way (and he said yes, they would take US money), just let the driver know where I wanted to go when I got on (it was route 1 if you are interested - and 19 back).

Found the bust stop, people there were very helpful as well, and made sure I got on the right bus. The bus was an experience - old, broken down seats, and the usual mix of working people, and people who needed assistance getting around making up the riders. I got on, gave the driver my money (note: apparently you are supposed to give the driver money when you get off.... which I realized after I had been on for a bit), and told him where I was trying to get to - he didn't know where it was, but someone else on the bus helped out, which was really kind.  Made it, and then on the way back I apparently was at the wrong place to catch the bus and was politely told that wasn't the right place for a stop (but he stopped anyway).  In the same route back he was a little less polite when someone flagged him down about 25 feet from the top of the hill, as it was hard for the bus to stop there.

So in short, people were very nice, I felt safe even when going outside t-shirt/souvenir/jewelry store land, and it was a lot of fun.