Flu test and tamiflu

vaca1981

Is this the newer version of Zicam Nasal Swabs? They had an earlier version that was very effective for me but they took it off the market as it hurt some people's sense of smell.

I guess I don't know the answer to that. I would have to check the dates of the two double-blind studies against when that version was taken off the market. I use the current ones that are sold and they work beautifully for me. I won't be without them in my cupboard.

I guess I don't know the answer to that. I would have to check the dates of the two double-blind studies against when that version was taken off the market. I use the current ones that are sold and they work beautifully for me. I won't be without them in my cupboard.
The original swabs were taken off the market a few years ago.

I will try the new version of the swabsagain -- I thought the crystals and rapid-melt tablets worked better for me.

Grab a box of Zicam nasal swabs. I worked at a medical school with a researcher for the past several years. I'm now at a hospital. There are two credible double-blind studies that Zicam (nasal swabs, NOT the lozenges) reduce symptoms from 9 days to 2.5 if you start using them right away. I always have some on hand now. I will use them 3-4 times per day as soon as I feel that anything is coming on. Never fails me.

2 swabs up;) they cut cold symptoms well too.

Upon advice of a flight crew, I’ve taken to swabbing my nose right before boarding (Petri dishes) airplanes too. Don’t fly RT more than every two months, not sure i’d Use if a frequent flier though for that purpose:confused:

I had flu A (was vaccinated) got Tamiflu within 24hrs. I felt like I was hit by a truck and knew instantly. I literally began feeling better within 12 hours. Most people are sick withe flu for a week. That stuff is a miracle!

ETA: I paid nothing. Insurance covered it.

My kids have the flu. I only paid $11 a box for Tamiflu with insurance.
I think Tamiflu prices are wildly varying -- possibly reflecting satisfying deductibles and various plans. Your price was the cheapest I've read about -- many folks paid around $100+

That is what helps prevent anyone catching it, hand washing is one of the best preventions. It also helps keep you from spreading it if you do have it, by keeping your hands washed before touching anything.

Not necessarily. If you sneeze or cough you are spreading it 100 feet around you. Hand washing will help but not prevent you from catching it. If you have the flu, stay home. I had it last year and wore a mask all week at home. My doc recommended I stay home from work for a week and I did. I slept in a separate room from my husband and wiped everything down at least once a day. No one else in my family got it.

DS got sick day 4 on the Allure Christmas cruise 2017. Passed out, temp 103 (yes I carry a oral thermometer when we travel). Took him to infirmary. $1000 later left with 3 tamiflu rx (one for DS and two for my 80ish parents, 190 each, flu test-positive, 50ish, and the rest I guess the dr cost). Way overpriced. But parents didn’t get flu even though we were together a lot and son was fever-free within 48 hours. YMMV. We have had good experiences with tamiflu. It’s overpriced herbs but it works for our family. I had recently paid $48 for tamiflu in states.

It seems counterproductive for medicines like tamiflu and tests like the flu test to be a profit center for RC when they are trying to keep passengers healthy in a confined environment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DS got sick day 4 on the Allure Christmas cruise 2017. Passed out, temp 103 (yes I carry a oral thermometer when we travel). Took him to infirmary. $1000 later left with 3 tamiflu rx (one for DS and two for my 80ish parents, 190 each, flu test-positive, 50ish, and the rest I guess the dr cost). Way overpriced. But parents didn’t get flu even though we were together a lot and son was fever-free within 48 hours. YMMV. We have had good experiences with tamiflu. It’s overpriced herbs but it works for our family. I had recently paid $48 for tamiflu in states.

It seems counterproductive for medicines like tamiflu and tests like the flu test to be a profit center for RC when they are trying to keep passengers healthy in a confined environment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you bought insurance, you can probably be reimbursed. We were when my husband had a disease that turned into pneumonia when we got home.

I had flu A (was vaccinated) got Tamiflu within 24hrs. I felt like I was hit by a truck and knew instantly. I literally began feeling better within 12 hours. Most people are sick withe flu for a week. That stuff is a miracle!

ETA: I paid nothing. Insurance covered it.

In which case you didn't have the flu. Tamiflu is not going to clear flu symptoms in 12 hours ever. Most people who say they have the flu have a bad cold.

In which case you didn't have the flu. Tamiflu is not going to clear flu symptoms in 12 hours ever. Most people who say they have the flu have a bad cold.

I did have the flu..I had a postive nasal swab for Influenza A. I said I started to feel better not that I had cleared flu symptoms. Doctor.

ETA: It's kinda hard to know which strain you had without the actual test ; )

Edited by andrew2346

I was on The Navigator in Oct. The 23 day crossing to Sydney. Day 6 I came down with the flu.... so someone brought it on board. The clinic tested twice for the flu... I had type A. I was quarantined in my room except for one trip a day down to the clinic to check on me. I also received 3 phones calls a day, one from the clinic, and one from customer service asking how I was (also I figure to see if I was in my room). When I left the room each day to go to the clinic I was provided a mask I had to wear. NOT FUN. I saw where someone said it was a profit center for RC... They gave me a cruise credit for the value of each day I was confined to my room.

I was on The Navigator in Oct. The 23 day crossing to Sydney. Day 6 I came down with the flu.... so someone brought it on board. The clinic tested twice for the flu... I had type A. I was quarantined in my room except for one trip a day down to the clinic to check on me. I also received 3 phones calls a day, one from the clinic, and one from customer service asking how I was (also I figure to see if I was in my room). When I left the room each day to go to the clinic I was provided a mask I had to wear. NOT FUN. I saw where someone said it was a profit center for RC... They gave me a cruise credit for the value of each day I was confined to my room.

Wow I wish they would halve given us cruise credit for my son when he was quarantined. The only thing he got was free movies, no charge room service and a big medical bill.

However sounds like they were much more strict with you. No one even called to make sure he was in the room the whole time he was quarantined. And he was only quarantined until his fever was gone but minimum of 48 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow I wish they would halve given us cruise credit for my son when he was quarantined. The only thing he got was free movies, no charge room service and a big medical bill.

However sounds like they were much more strict with you. No one even called to make sure he was in the room the whole time he was quarantined. And he was only quarantined until his fever was gone but minimum of 48 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was there 5 days... and had not gone to the clinic for the first 2 days I was sick and choose to just stay in my room as I had no clue it was the flu.... had had the flu shot... but, that was back in Oct., and at that time we had no clue the flu shot was pretty worthless this year.

Came down with the flu on third day of 14 night sailing on Explorer a few years back. Fever, aches, cough, flu test positive. Was administered tamiflu and given other medications via nebulizer for three days. Fully recovered by day 7. Saved my vacation. Only downside was $1,000 bill from medical. That's why we now buy travel insurance

That is what helps prevent anyone catching it, hand washing is one of the best preventions. It also helps keep you from spreading it if you do have it, by keeping your hands washed before touching anything.

My dad just got over the flu. They told us at the hospital it is airborne. You do not need to touch the person or even stand near them. You can catch it just as easily across the room as if you are sitting right next to them. Sorry, but in this case hand washing is not going to save you.

Last year I had the flu. I tested positive and my doc prescribed Tamiflu. I did feel better the next day. I still wasn't myself but felt improvement. I still stayed home from work as to not contaminate everyone in my office and I wasn't up to going anyway. Everyone is different and every strain is different.