State of the Rainforest (Article)

Aviator of the Seas

The article in the link illustrates perfectly the status and the struggle for El Yunque National Forest. It's in Spanish, but there is a video and pictures that speak for themselves. You could Google translate the article until I or someone else finds an English version. The good news is that the forest and its facilities are on the path to recovery.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/lacomplejayextensalaborpararestaurarelyunque-2393099/

Warning: To those who have been to the El Yunque Rainforest before, and know of its lushness and beauty, these images will be shocking. It's not hard to be saddened by this, but when you realize that the forest has been through these destruction and rebirth cycles countless of times over the ages, you know it will be okay.

Thanks for the article, we’ll be there next week. Staying at an Airbnb by Ocean Park. How is the beach and nearby neighborhood, stores open,power, water safe or have to boil, walking around?

Renting a car for the weekend to drive the shoreline, are roads drive able. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Thanks for the article, we’ll be there next week. Staying at an Airbnb by Ocean Park. How is the beach and nearby neighborhood, stores open,power, water safe or have to boil, walking around?

Renting a car for the weekend to drive the shoreline, are roads drive able. Thanks for any info you can provide.

I happen to work near Ocean Park. Like a block from it. Area is fine with a few caveats. We only recently got power back, and Ocean Park itself suffered some serious flooding during and after the storm. I would double check with your AirBnB host that his house is in fact ready for visitors.

Having said that, Ocean Park and its neighboring Loiza Street sector are San Juan's best kept secrets. Not as "fancy" as the touristy Condado and Isla Verde neighborhoods, but loaded with interesting guest houses, bars and restaurants. Some closed because of the storm and haven't been able to reopen or will not reopen again, but many survived and the area is making a come back. It'll be great to count with your support and indeed, travelers are again being seen walking up and down Loiza and McLeary streets. Which is great!

Ocean Park beach suffered some erosion during the storm but it is not too bad. A little farther to the east there's a beach we call El Ultimo Trolley, which has a better strip of sand, and is open and public from the road (as opposed to blocked by condos and hotels like in Isla Verde and Condado). There's a park across the street with ample parking. No facilities here though. Just sand and ocean and even some palm trees still standing.

Power. We have power and it's been pretty stable. In fact, I think it is more stable now after the repairs than before the storm! ConEdison of New York fixed the electrical grid in the area.

Tap water is safe to drink. I drink it and prefer it over bottled water. Tastes better.

Security. There are some pockets in the area still without power, especially the poorer neighborhoods across the main airport/Old San Juan highway (road 26) just south of calle Loiza. But you should be fine if you stay on Calle Loiza and north of it. Walking around is perfectly safe in the area except maybe after midnight, when there's just too many drunk revelers out in the streets. Just use the same sense street smarts as in any other major city. I personally think that San Juan is safer than, say, Rome or Barcelona. Puerto Rico's main crime problem is always drug related, and as long as you stay away from that trade you should be safe. And road rage, avoid it. There are still many intersections without working traffic lights so proceed with caution. Most roads are reopened but not necessarily fully repaired. Pot holes galore everywhere. Proceed with caution. I'd rent a jeep or SUV rather than a little subcompact if I were you.

AoS

Thanks for the response. The host a sure us everything is up and running where we’re at. Just wanted to be reassured. Staying by Rafael Alers St. & Cil Corona, hoping to walk to beach and hang out by Pamela’s restaurant. What is your opinion, other places within walking distance?

Looking forward to this stay, any other recommends would be appreciated, like food shopping for making light dinner or lunches. Spending two weeks there.

There are many popular places nearby to eat. A couple right near the entrance of Ocean park at McLeary street, and a bunch along calle Loiza which is a block south and parallel to McLeary street. Sorry, but as a local CruiseCritic does not allow me specific recommendations for San Juan. Just follow the local lunch crowds and you'll know if a place is good or not!

• 3 weeks later...
The article in the link illustrates perfectly the status and the struggle for El Yunque National Forest. It's in Spanish, but there is a video and pictures that speak for themselves. You could Google translate the article until I or someone else finds an English version. The good news is that the forest and its facilities are on the path to recovery.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/lacomplejayextensalaborpararestaurarelyunque-2393099/

I recently did a tour near the rainforest and our guide took us through one of the areas of the forest. The damage is visible. We were taken to water holes and rivers near the forest and while we see the effects in the vegetation I still found it beautiful and my family and I had one of the best excursions we have had in our many vacations. I am very happy I went.