On board booking - extra deposit when changing cruise?

Ronsangel

Hi everyone,

DH and I booked a June 2018 cruise while on-board the Harmony in December, and decided this week to move it to a different cruise in December 2018 instead. When I called to change it today, I asked the Rep if the $200 deposit we put down on-board was still enough to secure this new cruise (Serenade Dec 10). He said it was. When I look at the booking online now, it shows $940 owing Feb 1. I'm a little nervous my cruise will be cancelled, but there's a queue to speak to a rep. Anyone know if you need to put a full deposit down when you change a cruise this way?

Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure of the time limit, but I believe you get a certain amount of time to change your booking without any penalty. Normally there would be a $100pp penalty to change, but perhaps you were within that limit.

I made an onboard booking April 2017 for a April 2019 sailing. In January 2018 I changed from April 2019 to October 2019. Royal did not ask my TA for an additional deposit above the ininitial $50.

I believe April 2017 was before they made the major changes to booking on board. You still got a reduced deposit without having to choose a non-refundable deposit.

So my memory is playing with me... we booked this on-board on our May cruise, not December. When I called today the rep told me because I was before final payment, I could change the cruise with no penalty..... my concern around his response on the deposit is that he seemed fairly new and had to put me on hold a few times to ask his manager questions, so just want some reassurance from RCI 'pros' that I can rest easy on this one.

So my memory is playing with me... we booked this on-board on our May cruise, not December. When I called today the rep told me because I was before final payment, I could change the cruise with no penalty..... my concern around his response on the deposit is that he seemed fairly new and had to put me on hold a few times to ask his manager questions, so just want some reassurance from RCI 'pros' that I can rest easy on this one.

Booking in May makes all the difference. You booked under old rules which allowed reduced deposit and no penalty for changes before final payment date.

Ah, good to know. Thank you Bob! I didn't realize there were 'old' and 'new' rules. Haven't been on the boards much. So perhaps the system automatically just shows the full deposit amount even if I don't need to worry about it? The final total shows the $200 deposit we put down, and the correct final total owing.

Sad not to be doing the 12 night Baltic cruise we originally booked, but 11 nights in the S. Carribean will help console me eventually.

Ah, good to know. Thank you Bob! I didn't realize there were 'old' and 'new' rules. Haven't been on the boards much. So perhaps the system automatically just shows the full deposit amount even if I don't need to worry about it? The final total shows the $200 deposit we put down, and the correct final total owing.

Sad not to be doing the 12 night Baltic cruise we originally booked, but 11 nights in the S. Carribean will help console me eventually.

RC's system had never been programmed correctly for reduced deposits. So don't be surprised if the website says you owe more money.