Fantasy 5 day cruise out of Mobile 1/22/18

MLJS

This is a quick review of our 5 day fantasy cruise out of Mobile. I have cruised a lot and this was my husbands 2nd cruise. We had done this same cruise over New Years last year with our kids.

We live north of Atlanta and had friend fly in on Saturday from Connecticut. We left Monday morning at 5am and after stopping for gas and breakfast in Montgomery, we arrived at the port around 10am. People were still exiting the terminal and they had us wait in the parking lot under the bridge until about 10:30. Parking for the 5 day cruise was $90.

We were through and checked in by about 11:15 and on board at 11:40. They never asked about check in times and everyone was assigned a zone that was stamped on the paperwork at check in. You use to be able to complete the Heath form while in line, but a completed form was required immediately before going through security.

We got through security with bottles of wine for the four of us. They checked to make sure the wine was actual wine and this time did not tear open any of the 12 packs of soda we had brought. Numerous other times, I have had them rip them open and carry packing tape just in case.

I did not realize the metal detectors also detect liquid. I had a small bottle in my jacket pocket that set off the detector.

This is the first cruise in years that I was either not traveling with a diamond member or had FTTF. We waited probably an extra 15 minutes to board. Once on board, we found a place to sit and hang out. We were not hungry yet and we let our friends explore while was sat with our bags.

I like FTTF but have a hard time paying the $70 for it now. I thought $50 was expensive. I do like being able to drop stuff off in your cabin and having first priority on tenders (if your ports of call use them). I have gotten it when a coordinated a big group-so I would not have to wait at guest services. Last year when we took our 6 kids with us and had 3 cabins, we only purchased it with our cabin and they allowed us to pull the kids with us. Several years ago we traveled with family and had 4 cabins but only purchased for 3 of the cabins. We did this primarily for Honduras and Belize, where we would have priority for the tenders.

I like being on the rear of the ship on the Empress deck. Our friends were on the Upper deck. We had cabin E179 which was right by the stairwell and elevators. It was not noisy at all and really not much different from E222 that we had last year. I like the fantasy because it has rear stairs to the Serenity deck. Not all the ships in this class have the stairs but it makes it very convenient to go between the decks without having to go through the lounge.

This cruise was to celebrate my birthday and m friends at purchased the birthday package from the Fun shop. It was a fun surprise to walk in and find the room decorations, cake, picture frame and towel. The chocolate cake was excellent. My husband does not like cake much but loved this one.

This cruise was unique in that there were very few kids on it. We have sailed over Christmas, New Years, spring breaks, summer and fall. This was a much older crowd. The hot tubs were not overrun by kids and it was much quieter. The serenity deck was not as crowded as past cruise I think due to this.

We ate breakfast on the lido deck. There is an omelet station at the back where the pizza is served and out by Guy’s burgers. They also added basics from the buffet line to the center island by the ice cream machine which few people seemed to notice. I did think it was weird that one morning they had hot dogs out cut in half in place of the sausage.

We ate burgers at Guy’s which were very good. There are two lines-one by the door and one by the drink station. Very few people seemed to realize the second line was there. Everything they offer to put on the burgers is also offered at the do-it-yourself bar. The burritos from the Blue iguana were good too. There is a separate line for tacos by the door.

The dinner menu changed to the American Table since we were on it last year. I like the old menu better. My husband missed the sushi. Everything was good but a few things. The creamed spinach was awful. The beef barley soup was good but had little beef or barley. The French onion soup was mediocre and had no onion. I had the St Louis short ribs, the braised beef brisket, veal, and jerk beef which were all excellent. The flat iron steak was okay, just not a lot of flavor. When ordering steaks I have found that you want to order it at least one level from what you want. So for a medium steak, I order medium rare and after it sits under the lights, it comes out perfect. My husband loved the escargot, frog legs, oysters, egg rolls, rabbit, prime rib, blue crab ravioli, short ribs and lamb.

This was my 3rd trip to Progresso. I had never gone into town and we decided to see what was there. There is a free shuttle bus that runs back and forth that takes about 20 minutes. We did not think it was worth the trip. A few shops. There was a beach several blocks away that you could get beach chairs on and lots of massages. Cheapest was $10 for 30 minutes.

The last trip I never got off the ship here. My husband and kids got off and shopped at the port. My husband actually talked his way into the Mexican navy ship and got a tour of it. The trip before, the cruise ship had backed into the pier right by the bar and I purchased a $5 margarita & got a WiFi code and was able to sit on the back deck of the ship and email and text.

In Progresso, my husband was able to buy Cuban cigars for about $3.50 a stick. Takes some negotiating but they will come down on price if you walk away. As far as liquor prices go, the ship’s prices were as good as any of the a places we found. The big shop just off the ship in Progresso did have patron coffee & one with chili pepper and coffee for $24 each that my husband had never seen. Our friends took the tour of uxmal mayan ruins and really enjoyed it.

In Cozumel, I almost always go to Nachi Cocom. The food is always good. The drinks are decent and it is rarely crowded. Despite the weather forecast of 100% chance of rain, we never got rained on. The dark clouds seemed to move inland. The water temperature was cool but not bad. We didn’t use the pool or hot tub but have in the past. I was nice to have wi-fi for a few hours to check on kids. The taxi ride for the 4 of us was $17 each way. A few years ago, my children and I had taken a tour of the island, which was cool. The opposite side of the island is very rocky and the water is rough but it is beautiful. I have also been to paradise beach, but it gets real crowded and Chankanaab nation park which was also nice but a lot more walking and about the same price as Nachi Cocom once you bought food and drinks.

imagejpeg

Really used the carnival hub app this trip. We did not pay the $5 for instant messaging but used it to check what was going on and to check our account balance. On our first day at sea we were charged for a beer we didn’t order. It did take two trips to get it removed, but they did it with no questions.

Disembarkment was very easy. We decided to do the self disembarkment. I have never done this, since I have usually had the FTTF. We docked at 7am and were cleared by customs at 7:30. We were in the car leaving at 8:20. We had plenty of time to drop our friends off at the Atlanta airport at 2:45pm after having a leisurely lunch for their 5pm flight.

Forgot to add, beer just off the ship in Progresso was $3 a bottle. They will not let you take an opened bottle back on the ship, but my husband enjoys a beer while walking around the shops

I love the your time dining. Have had it every time since they started it. Last year only part of the Celebration Dining room was YTD. This time the entire dining room was. The jubilee dining room was assigned seating. If you have this dining room, it can only be accessed from the rear of the ship. Very confusing if you have not been on the ship before. You enter the celebration dining room from the main foyer.

On this trip with four of us had to wait two different times for our table. We were given a beeper than can go in he immediate area. We waited no longer than 30 minutes. We went between 6 & 7. Previous cruises, we had parties of 8, 9 and a large group of 22. The groups of 8 & 9, we waited maybe once or twice during the week-mainly formal nights which landed on Christmas & New Years for our trips. The large group, we went in different numbers and did not have difficulty either.

Great review thanks.

Quick question if you happened to notice:

Do know where the laundry is located and the price to wash/ dry? Thanks

I’ve never done laundry but have seen the rooms. I’m pretty sure they are located across the front of the ship. Cost is $3.25 per washer load and $3.25 per dryer load. You will need change on this ship.