Is this fair?

Tfish

I've been assigned E303 which I beleive is a Handicapped room and even though I will appreciate the extra room do you not think that it should be saved for someone who needs it?

Maybe there is no demand.

They may even move me; I don't leave until Jan 15.

Has anyone had this room?

Thanks

You did not mention which ship, we would have to know that in order to tell you about the room. Let's just assume it is a handicapped cabin, and at this late date (26 days before the cruise) it IS fair to assign it. Final payments have been made and cabin assignments are well underway. It is not fair to expect Princess to hold out handicapped cabins at this point in the process; if nobody came along to take it, they would be out the money. Discounts are being offered anywhere from about 50-60 days before a cruise in order to fill ALL cabins; anybody needing special arrangements, be it handicapped, specific dining, or specific decks or areas of the ship know to book well before the final payment due dates so they are not left with slim pickings.

And who knows .. you may actually LIKE the facilities!

The toilet seat tends to be higher .. since I am tall (only 6'2") it makes a nice difference for me... I have a handicapped toilet at home just for this added height.

The grab bars by the toliet will probably go un-used but can be a great place for extra towel rack space.

The grab bars in the shower will come in handy should the seas turn ruff! Also, the bathroom may have an 'accessible' shower which means no lip and you might actually enjoy this also. It also may include a shower seat/stool which is another treat you may enjoy!

The bathroom itself may also not have a 'step up' floor arrangement .. it may be level with the cabin floor. Again, takes a bit of getting used to that big step in may cabin bathrooms for a day or two! The door may slide rather than open in/out again for ease of use.

NOT that I would reserve a handicapped cabin and deny a person who really needs it .. but you may become hooked on these extra features for future cruises.

I would not worry .. if they need a handicapped cabin, they will probably try and move you.

That said, I have heard of one post/story where a pax got a truly 'handicapped' cabin that had what sounded like a Hoyer Lift system installed in the ceiling where a pax could be moved by a chair/sling arrangement from bed to wheelchair. They laughed at the extra hardware and were impressed the line had that much foresight into really catering to handicapped needs.

I had a handicapped cabin on the Star once..booked late and had no idea until I was on board.....The extra bathroom features were nice..the seat in the shower.:D Also liked being near the stairs and elevators.

The extra space was nice...:p

Archived