Can we make an 11:00 a.m. flight from LAX?

Tampa Girl

Here is the LAX map - Alaska is Terminal 6 - so you will have some loop traffic to wade through before you get there.

https://www.flylax.com/-/media/FlyLax/PDFs/Getting-Around-LAX/LAX-Airline-Location-Map.ashx

This may not be the worst traffic delay on the route if you used a limo, but does need to be factored when you were still trying to get to that 11am departure. It would have been a disaster if you were using a shuttle that stopped at five other terminals and unloaded luggage at each one.

Hope something better shows up at John Wayne for Alaska Airlines. When you catch your breath, maybe you can then tell us why a Tampa Girl has run up so many FF miles on Alaska Airlines? ;p

Cute!clear.png?emoji-smile-1742 Actually, Alaska Airlines is an AA partner. Our miles are with AA. This cruise is scheduled to stop at Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians, weather permitting. If so, it will be the first time this Tampa Girl has see Alaska.

Looks like a good AA flight from John Wayne - Santa Ana SNA leaves at 1pm to Tampa - $430

There is a 20 hour (!!!) Alaska code share multistop SNA to Tampa on Expedia.

I know! Passed that one by very quickly. If we have to spend $860 for the two of us, we might as well spend the night in the LA area and leave on the 11:00 flight the next day. Hate to do it after being gone for almost three months, but that probably is the wisest move. We can also subscribe to Expert Flyer and hope that AA comes through with a milesaver award sometime in the next few months. Not too likely, however.

I know! Passed that one by very quickly. If we have to spend $860 for the two of us, we might as well spend the night in the LA area and leave on the 11:00 flight the next day. Hate to do it after being gone for almost three months, but that probably is the wisest move. We can also subscribe to Expert Flyer and hope that AA comes through with a milesaver award sometime in the next few months. Not too likely, however.

If you decide to do that, the Crown Plaza L.A. Harbor and/or hotels in Torrance and the beach cities are all close or relatively close to San Pedro. Unless you want to stay nearer to LAX which has many hotels

I would not risk that tight of a timeframe to get to any airport on a weekday where it involves the San Diego (aka the 405) freeway. And yes, right before the holidays, the airport will be crazy. I would either go later in the day or the next day if you want an earlier flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have now twice added a Panama transit to get home from a cruise, instead of flying home. Was that not one of the fantasy options to get you back home?

Once on the same ship and once by changing ships that left the same day. Works when you have the extra time obviously but it seemed like an outrageous suggestion at first, until it actually made perfect sense. One was after a relatively short cruise, but one was after a very long cruise making it even a longer, longer cruise.

New England - FLL - FLL to San Diego -Veendam all the way

Voyage of the Vikings to Boston (Rotterdam) -Boston same day (Maasdam) to FLL and San Diego.

It sounds like waiting a day is not an option for you. As has been mentioned, Northbound traffic on a Friday morning will be congested with those heading to work. And, unfortunately for you, AA is at the far corner of LAX so you will not be able to take any shortcuts once at LAX. Having Global Entry should make things very easy. Unfortunately it sounds like you will not be able to walk off the ship with your luggage. With what Copper 10-8 and others have said it will be risky but it is also possible. The car service recommended would be great. And I am often pleasantly surprised to find that frequent mileage seats seem to open up. Since it is so far away later flights may open up for you, check for better flights often. Hope you have a great time. Cherie p.s. If you decide to stay the night I would like to recommend Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach for an overnight close to LAX.

It sounds like waiting a day is not an option for you. As has been mentioned, Northbound traffic on a Friday morning will be congested with those heading to work. And, unfortunately for you, AA is at the far corner of LAX so you will not be able to take any shortcuts once at LAX. Having Global Entry should make things very easy. Unfortunately it sounds like you will not be able to walk off the ship with your luggage. With what Copper 10-8 and others have said it will be risky but it is also possible. The car service recommended would be great. And I am often pleasantly surprised to find that frequent mileage seats seem to open up. Since it is so far away later flights may open up for you, check for better flights often. Hope you have a great time. Cherie p.s. If you decide to stay the night I would like to recommend Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach for an overnight close to LAX.

Actually, walking off is absolutely possible. HAL is shipping unlimited luggage and immigration will have been done at a prior port, so all we will need is a carry on when we disembark. Actually, assuming the ship is on time and the freeway is not completely blocked, we could make it.

However, I appreciate your recommendation of Manhattan Beach and Hermosa. We were looking for somewhere to stay before the cruise, as well.

Thanks so much. Now . . . any recommendations as to hotels?

Actually, walking off is absolutely possible. HAL is shipping unlimited luggage and immigration will have been done at a prior port, so all we will need is a carry on when we disembark. Actually, assuming the ship is on time and the freeway is not completely blocked, we could make it.

However, I appreciate your recommendation of Manhattan Beach and Hermosa. We were looking for somewhere to stay before the cruise, as well.

Thanks so much. Now . . . any recommendations as to hotels?

Redondo Beach Crown Plaza is across the street from the beach, restaurants and pier

Redondo Beach Crown Plaza is across the street from the beach, restaurants and pier

Thanks, Copper. And we could just hop on the ferry to Santa Catalina for the day - and probably be thoroughly chilled by the time we arrived.

BTW, I am confused about the ports. When they refer to Los Angeles Port, are they referring to Long Beach or to San Pedro? The Amsterdam is coming into San Pedro, I think.

The Redondo Beach Crown Plaza is a good recommendation. I like MB and HB because you can arrive at the hotel, walk to restaurants, beach, shops, and take LONG walks on the Strand. The Hermosa Pier is very lively and a couple hotel suggestions are The Beach House, although very expensive, the Grandview Inn, and my first choice for an affordable motel on the Strand is the Sea Sprite. In Manhattan Beach there is the expensive Shade Hotel, and my choice would be the Sea View Inn. We like walking on the beach and take the dogs on a nightly walk on The Strand so I like MB and Hermosa. At Christmas the MB pier is lighted and a really nice walk between HB and MB. Although MB tends to be a bit more upscale it has a couple of old time local favorites, Ercoles and Shellbacks, where you will find good drink and food, and a very local atmosphere. If you decide on HB or MB I can also recommend other restaurants. Getting an Uber or Lyft to the ship should be easy from the South Bay and going south is easy in the morning. Hope this helps, Cherie

Thanks, Copper. And we could just hop on the ferry to Santa Catalina for the day - and probably be thoroughly chilled by the time we arrived.

BTW, I am confused about the ports. When they refer to Los Angeles Port, are they referring to Long Beach or to San Pedro? The Amsterdam is coming into San Pedro, I think.

Hey, you might luck out with the weather; today is 85 degrees F and I have the a/c going ;)

L.A. has only one cruise port which is San Pedro. Long Beach is a separate city from L.A. and has it's own massive port with one cruise ship berth "behind" the Queen Mary and opposite the old "Spruce Goose" building which is now a cruise terminal. HAL ships are relatively strangers to L.A./San Pedro and Long Beach with San Diego having taken over the "So Cal" stop. On 21 DEC 18 however, Amsterdam is scheduled to dock at remote Berth 46 in San Pedro

15896831003_07d3e91581_c.jpg

L.A./San Pedro cruise terminal with the USS Iowa museum ship

df93942a-cf5d-448f-aca6-4db7a906f6e3_640_450auto_c1.jpg

Long Beach Cruise Terminal with Queen Mary museum/hotel ship

Edited by Copper10-8

The Redondo Beach Crown Plaza is a good recommendation. I like MB and HB because you can arrive at the hotel, walk to restaurants, beach, shops, and take LONG walks on the Strand. The Hermosa Pier is very lively and a couple hotel suggestions are The Beach House, although very expensive, the Grandview Inn, and my first choice for an affordable motel on the Strand is the Sea Sprite. In Manhattan Beach there is the expensive Shade Hotel, and my choice would be the Sea View Inn. We like walking on the beach and take the dogs on a nightly walk on The Strand so I like MB and Hermosa. At Christmas the MB pier is lighted and a really nice walk between HB and MB. Although MB tends to be a bit more upscale it has a couple of old time local favorites, Ercoles and Shellbacks, where you will find good drink and food, and a very local atmosphere. If you decide on HB or MB I can also recommend other restaurants. Getting an Uber or Lyft to the ship should be easy from the South Bay and going south is easy in the morning. Hope this helps, Cherie

There is a reason a lot of the L.A. Kings players reside in MB ;) Those are all good recommendations from a local!

It recently took me 3.5 hours to get from Hollywood to LAX. 3.5 hours!!! If you get off the boat at 8:30 that is the height of traffic. That also assumes you get a taxi right away, which rarely happens. If you miss your flight Alaska charges $100 plus the difference in price, so you might be paying that expensive plane ticket plus $100. Also, travel insurance doesn't cover missed connections unless the boat docks late to cause a delay. Oh, and don't get me started on the back up at the airport. Even the CLEAR line can take an hour. I get why you want to make this work, but as someone who flies in and out of LAX a few times a year I can tell you I have made the mistake of cutting it too close more than once and paid a hefty price for doing so. All that being said, can you fly out of Long Beach? It is a much faster drive and avoids going through LA.

There is a reason a lot of the L.A. Kings players reside in MB ;) Because we're so much fun? Yea, they are kind of a big deal here and their 2014 Stanley cup parade between HB and MB was fun. But, as you know living in the L.A. area, residents don't really pay much notice to sports and industry celebrities. I hope Tampa Girl enjoys her days here before the cruise!!! Cherie

Because we're so much fun? Yea, they are kind of a big deal here and their 2014 Stanley cup parade between HB and MB was fun. But, as you know living in the L.A. area, residents don't really pay much notice to sports and industry celebrities. I hope Tampa Girl enjoys her days here before the cruise!!! Cherie

I live in the South Bay also and was at MB Mall last week ;)

All that being said, can you fly out of Long Beach? It is a much faster drive and avoids going through LA.

LB Airport is a good suggestion and a lot closer than John Wayne! No non-stops to Tampa but they do have "one-stops" out of LGB

I have seen you refer to living in the South Bay and that is why I made the comment re living in L.A. I think all of us who live here should consider ourselves very spoiled and very lucky for many reasons. At least I do. I did not mean to sound snobby with my references to MB and HB, and apologize if I did. Seeing the ocean every day never gets old to me!!!! Cherie

I have seen you refer to living in the South Bay and that is why I made the comment re living in L.A. I think all of us who live here should consider ourselves very spoiled and very lucky for many reasons. At least I do. I did not mean to sound snobby with my references to MB and HB, and apologize if I did. Seeing the ocean every day never gets old to me!!!! Cherie

Agree 100%, no worries, and absolutely no need for apologies! I also hope the girl from Tampa enjoys her pre-, or perhaps post, stay here. That will be an awesome cruise!

Another spot to stay prior to your cruise would be La Terrenea Resort in Palos Verdes. I have never stayed here, only sat out by their fire pits. On the cliffs of PV it is a beautiful location, and I would think a close drive to the cruise ships. Just another thought. Cherie