voyager or mariner

eskov

hi, we were going to book a family cruise on the freedom for feb 2007 but apparently it is full for group cruises so we are now looking at the mariner or voyager. Has anyone been on both or have any recommendations as to which would be a better choice for a group of 23 - between the ages of 5-71? thanks for any advice

Both are Voyager class ships. The Voyager is the original and the Mariner is the last of the Voyager class ships (so a few years newer). I believe the Voyager sails out of Miami and the Mariner sails out of Port Canaveral.

The balconies on the voyager are inside the ship's structure, so the balcony is surounded by structural steel. The balconies on the Mariner are outside the ship's structure, so the balconies feel a little more open and airy. The Voyager has Adventure Beach which is for the little kids (rear of the ship, deck 12 in the link below) ...

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do?shipId=79&deckId=452

In the Mariner the Adventure Beach has been removed and the teen area greatly expanded. So, do you have more little kids (say 3 - 6 years old - older kids might not be too impressed by Adventure Beach - the reason it is not on the Navigator or Mariner) or more teens?

Otherwise the two ships are very similar.

I have been on both. I don't know about the children's facilities, but I can say that I loved the Mariner. I liked the Voyager, but I am anxious to go on the Mariner yet again. The Mariner is newer and IMHO much nicer. The service was great and the Windjammer was very good (I'm usually not a big buffet/WJ fan). Of course, I am from the Central Florida area, and am partial to leaving from Port Canaveral. It is so easy compared with Miami. But that's me.

Here is a message I posted in October which has links to very large panoramic shots of Voyager and Navigator. Navigator and Mariner look very similar, as they share the same balcony construction characteristics.

The biggest difference on the outside is the construction of the balconies.

I believe that Voyager, Explorer and Adventure are of the first design, and Navigator and Mariner are of the second.

Here are two very large panoramic shots, one of Voyager, taken by TexasZippy, and the other of Navigator, taken by your humble correspondent, that clearly show the differences in the balconies.

Voyager

Navigator

Hope that helps a little!

Theron

Have been on both. I'd pick the Mariner. Everything written above is correct. The Voyager does have what must be the world's most beautiful dining room chandelier. Nonetheless, the Mariner would be my pick because:

1. Mariner is newer,

2. Mariner leaves from Port Canaveral, which is much less frantic and crazed than Miami -- and you can add a couple of days at Disneyworld or Universal before or after the cruise,

3. Mariner had a wonderful captain and cruise director when we were on board -- Capt Gerry was truly charming and always out and about visiting with passengers,

4. Food was generally good to very good (with some notable exceptions, but probably Voyager food is about the same these days),

5. We had a problem with our waiter the first night, which was quickly and very adequately resolved by our head waiter,

6. Portofino on the Mariner was delicious.

One other thing -- I would consider the itineraries of both. If one or the other goes to Labadee, I'd give that a lot of weight in my decision, too. We love Labadee and a day there is perfect for a family group, IMO.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

thanks for all the great advice, I think we will go with the mariner for many of the reasons mentioned; we do have more teens, it will be more convenient and cheaper for us to all get to orlando rather than miami, the itineraries are the same - both go to labadee, I like the idea of a newer ship too. I really appreciate all your responses and now feel confident in booking the mariner for our family cruise - it sounds perfect!

Archived