Crew member can answer your queries

crewcut

I am a current crew member with 8 years world crusing experience in various aspects of the hotel and entertainment department onboard Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Holland America and NCL.

If you are searching for sundry info such as, curious about crew life onboard, what crew "really think", how to find a good cabin, noise, entertainment, ship board regulations, ports, excursions, food, how to avoid cruises with alot of kids, who to complain to whe you have a problem, how to get what you want etc, well, then, I may be of service.

Happy cruising.

Must be fun...I will be going on my first cruise on the Valor on April 2nd-8th ....What kinda training and how long of a course do the waiters and other staff go through. Is there a certin line you like working for better? Is formal night really not that formal anymore? humm probably will have more later:rolleyes: Thanks for any tips

I am a current crew member with 8 years world crusing experience in various aspects of the hotel and entertainment department onboard Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Holland America and NCL.

If you are searching for sundry info such as, curious about crew life onboard, what crew "really think", how to find a good cabin, noise, entertainment, ship board regulations, ports, excursions, food, how to avoid cruises with alot of kids, who to complain to whe you have a problem, how to get what you want etc, well, then, I may be of service.

Happy cruising.

Yes, tell all! LOL, we are curious about all the aspects of crew life onboard.

What would the crew like in a Christmas stocking in addition to money? I know you don't have much room for trinkets in your small cabins.

How many hours do you actually have to work? What do you do with your time off? Can you say which ship you are now on?

The staff and crew are always so polite and gracious, I'm sure there is training as well as recruiters/interviewers looking for well mannered people to hire.

So, what I would like to ask you is, how does the staff react to the way the pax are dressed? There is so much debate about it here on the boards, I'd like to know the general opinion of the wait staff or other ship employees.

Some people on these boards would like the ships staff to oversee the behavior of children or other adults. What is your reaction to that? Does the staff/crew want to police the actions of the passengers?

Can you tell us if the staff/crew really like to receive phone cards? In addition to their regular tips, of course.

I'd love to travel and cruise more, but am limited because of funding (why wasn't I born rich?). How much does the staff/crew really get to see in their travels?

Thanks for your input, it's always fun to hear from a cruise ship employee!

Crewcut,

We are sailing on the Carnival Glory on Christmas Eve, We were planning on bringing some candy for our stewart and waiters of course i would also give them a cash Xmas gift the first night with the candy and then of the regular tip at the end of the cruise. Is the candy and "upfront" tip appreciated and does it "help" towards a more memorable cruise??

I have a friend on a ship who is a waiter. He told me that they do not pool the regular tips. But so many people online here has "heard" that all monies are pooled together. Could youclear that up once and for all?

I know that bar waiters, room service people pool the tips but what abut waiters, asst waiters and cabin stewards

To answer a specific question-- on each post has a quote button. by clicking on that button you will get that particular message on a reply to thread box. You can take out what you dont want in there..and jsut include the particular question-- just make sure you have the word quote along with the brackets. at begining and end of the question

do this will make answering the questions a lot easier

Archived