WiFi Calling

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because my iPhone supports MMS over WiFI calling, for the most part. Sometimes I don't get a message until I turn on cellular.

Yeah, I think iPhones work well with MMS, and some other flagship phones too. Not sure what the bug is or if it's some sort of hardware or software limitation.

T-Mobile supports wifi-calling for unlocked phones. Huge plus for me since I'm a huge fan of the Axon 7 phone. Wonderful stereo speakers!

Keep in mind to make sure your phone model supports wifi-calling before even attempting to set it up. Sometimes a later OS version brings support for wifi-calling, so make sure the phone is up to date. If you're unsure if your phone model supports it, Google your model number with "wifi-calling" and see if a spec or features list shows up.

Wifi-calling is a very nice feature but has its limitations. One big one is a WiFi operator has the option to block VoIP services, including wifi-calling. Airlines are known for for this. Also, my fiancee had a Viking Cruise where they blocked it. At least she was able to make video calling over Google Duo, but it had its limitations due to poor wifi service. Luckily, RCCL still allows wifi-calling! Score for us!

Another thing is some phones don't support MMS messages over wifi-calling. SMS messages are good-to-go for the most part, but not MMS messages. So gifs and picture messages won't send or be received for some reason. My previous phone didn't allow them, neither does my fiancee's phone. Oddly, my current phone does. Don't know why, but I'll take it.

If you can't send MMS messages but want to send pics and other fun stuff to your onboard group, use another app such as Facebook Messenger of something similar. Plus, online Messengers don't suffer from size limitations, so your pics and videos won't be cut off or heavily compressed.

Good. One less annoying thing to deal with on a plane. Listening to someone's phone conversation on a plane would not be pleasant. They don't have a quiet section on the plane like on Amtrak.

Good. One less annoying thing to deal with on a plane. Listening to someone's phone conversation on a plane would not be pleasant. They don't have a quiet section on the plane like on Amtrak.

But it would be nice to be able to text on the airplane, without using an internet based messaging app like iMessage or WhatsApp.