Need Help - Star Princess - Copenhagen

gunnywife

We're thinking of taking the Star Princess cruise to Scandinavia & Russia (with Oslo) next year.

How far is the port where the ship docks from the city center of Copenhagen? Is there more than one port? The reason I'm asking is we're thinking of making our own hotel reservatiions, but have to keep in mind the city center in relationship to the port. I realize hotel rates will be high in Copenhagen, but the Princess hotels seem really expensive with their pricing being per person.

Also, when we arrive in Stockholm and Oslo will we be far from the city center?

We've been in all these cities, but on a land tour. I know they're all right by the water, but that doesn't necessarilly mean the port would be close to the city centers.

I would also appreciate if you could recommend hotels in Copenhagen.

And would like to hear your feed-back on this cruise.

Thanks Lynn

I didn't cruise into Copenhagen but I was there a few weeks ago. The port is just outside the city area. Copenhagen is pretty small - we walked from our city centre hotel up to the port area and back and then some so it is a short taxi journey.

Hotels in Copenhagen are expensive (everything in Copenhagen is expensive). We had real trouble finding a decent one. Reading reviews is a bit depressing because the general consensus is that all the 4* hotels are tired and shabby.

We opted for The Square Hotel with is only a 3* but is brand new and I must admit I don't like shabby hotels. It was very nice. Reception service was excellent. Room was very good - very modern design, wet room with power shower bathroom, TV, mini-bar. No in-room Coffee/Tea which we would have liked but there are lots of coffee bars in the city. Breakfast was a bit hectic - it is a buffet and finding a seat wasn't easy but we did find a seat.

Walking round the city we did think most of the higher star hotels seemed a bit old and worn round the edges and although we normally only stay in 4 or 5* hotels were were pleased we'd made a good choice.

Copenhagen is nice enough but in comparison to other capitals in Europe it is a bit disapointing. You'll find enough to do for a cruise stop though.

Hi Lynn,

This is a fantastic cruise, hectic but fantastic. If you go to the Baltic section of this forum you will find an outstanding amount of information from past cruisers. Also the Review section has several accounts of the trip.

Just to start you off, the dock in Copenhagen is about 3 miles from the centre - at Frihavn, but the excellent train system will get you to within ten minutes (walking) of the ship.

Can't help with hotels Im afraid, but I think that from reading the reviews quite a few people have done very well with Priceline.

Stockholm is about an hour away, again there is an excellent train service.

The good news is that in Oslo you dock practically in the City itself.

Hope this has helped.

Carole

Gunnywife

We did the Baltic last August, on Oceania's Regatta, with Copenhagen being port of embarkation.

There are several different docks for cruise ships in Cophenhagen, and Star Princess, being a huge ship in comparison, docks further out, but I don't recall the names of the various ports.

Regatta was fairly close in, but that doesn't help you.

Enjoy the Baltic - it is a great region.

We took this cruise on the Grand in 2004. There are a couple of different piers in Copenhagen. Can't remember which one we were at but I remember it was around 10 mins via cab from our hotel which was in the city center right across the main entrance to Tivoli Gardens.

The ship will dock right in the city in Oslo but that is not the case for Stockholm. It takes approx 1 hour via bus or train to get from where the ship will be (can't remember spelling of where the ship will anchor but it was something like Nynasham???) to Stockholm

Hope that helps

We were on this cruise in September, you will love it. In Copenhagen the port Freeport is about a 10 minute train ride and a few minutes walking, very easy. In Stockholm you dock in Nynasham and it is an hours train ride to Stockholm. In Oslo you dock right in the heart of downtown, in fact it is across from the fortress. It is a wonderful cruise!

Archived