Puerto Vallarta Port Construction

SadieN

2 hours ago, mexico8 said:

Hank, 

We had Tortilla soup at Ernesto's and also the ribs the other night.   Still great!!!

My mouth is already watering just thinking about that great soup :).  See you soon.

Hank

We were in PV 6 yrs or so on a Panama Canal cruise & caught a bus not far from where our ship was docked.  We wanted to go to the Malecon & weren't sure where to get off, but some nice Americans told us.  Problem is that I can't remember where! (I don't remember seeing the Rosarita Hotel, but maybe have just forgotten.) It wasn't right on the Malecon, but I remember walking just a little ways & ending up at a sort of flea market with vendors & all sorts of handmade things.  We walked around looking & ended up at the ocean.  Then we turned right & walked down the Malecon, stopping at a restaurant for drinks & snacks. Would like to do this again if I could figure out where to get off the bus! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

12 hours ago, konatyme said:

We were in PV 6 yrs or so on a Panama Canal cruise & caught a bus not far from where our ship was docked.  We wanted to go to the Malecon & weren't sure where to get off, but some nice Americans told us.  Problem is that I can't remember where! (I don't remember seeing the Rosarita Hotel, but maybe have just forgotten.) It wasn't right on the Malecon, but I remember walking just a little ways & ending up at a sort of flea market with vendors & all sorts of handmade things.  We walked around looking & ended up at the ocean.  Then we turned right & walked down the Malecon, stopping at a restaurant for drinks & snacks. Would like to do this again if I could figure out where to get off the bus! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Take one the buses with Centro or Olas Altas in the window  NOT those with Tunel!, it will take about 20 minutes depending traffic.It will be a go along hotelzone etc. For more info check those maps:

cruiseterminal at the bottom of this map: https://vallartainfo.com/marina-vallarta/

hotelzone: https://vallartainfo.com/hotel-zone/

noth downtown  Parc at the bottom is the place you can get off bus: https://vallartainfo.com/north-downtown-map/

downtown  hotel rosita and Malecon on the top left etc.  Flea market at Rio cuale also on this map: https://vallartainfo.com/downtown-map/

south downtown with more Malecon and the pier: https://vallartainfo.com/southside-map/

To get back to the cruise terminal take one of the buses on Parque Lazaro Cardenas or on Constitucion or Juarez. Sign in the window Sams, Aeropuerto, Marina or Ixtapa . Since there are 2 Walmarts that might be confusing. Or ask the driver Cruzero.

Rides are 10 Pesos per person, no change given. Best is to have Pesos since not all drivers will accept US$ anymore.

Enjoy!

Just want to piggyback on Ine's directions . . .    A bus  ride from the port to el Cento is a pretty straight ride.  The route takes a hard left turn at "Parque Hildalgo", goes 1 block and takes a hard right to again head south. There is a bus stop after the left turn and this would be the place to get off if your goal is to walk the Malecon from the Rosita.  Just backtrack to the corner where the turned, look left and you will see the Rosita ahead and on the right.

The bus system is in transition from old "school bus" style to new style with automated (no change) coin boxes. The only certainty is the 10 peso per person rate.  As of two weeks ago, about 95% of the drivers were still using the old traditional coin tray, even on the new buses. We only had two bus rides, in 28 days, that were using the automated coin box.  The strong dollar, along with the new 10 peso rate, makes it very difficult for a driver to accept USD's. Pesos are highly recommended. 

Enjoy!

We were in port on Wednesday on Ruby Princess. With three ships in port (us, HAL Eurodam and Carnival Splendor), Attessa IV (that’s the number if it’s the Montana billionaire’s boat) was exiled to anchor. We were at the south pier and she was sailing back in to port as we departed, presumably to take our spot.

We didn’t see much of anything but a few shops in the first building to be renovated. 

Uber now have surge pricing in effect at the pier - it was an estimate 20 pesos (about $6US) vs $7 if we walked to the Soriana and hailed a cab from there. To us it wasn’t worth $1 to stand and wait for a driver. The return was $8, also worth the extra change not to have to wait.

Now that we are again in our winter PV home, I remembered my promise to post the latest info on this topic.  This morning I walked by the Marina (Port) and watched both the Coral and Ruby Princess ships tie-up at Pier 1 and 2.  About a half hour later the Carnival Splendor docked at Pier 3...thus filling the port.  The Attessa IV (an amazing yacht that can handle 2 helicopters) had to move out of the port to clear the way for the 3 cruise ships.  Bottom line is that all 3 Piers are functioning normally.  There is still quite a lot of construction going on next to the port (it looks like they might be building a second hotel) which should not impact cruise ship operations.

One other minor thing.  For those of you that have heard about the PEMEX gas station just outside the port, it is now a Shell Station.  

As to the use of Uber.  It does appear that Uber has increased their pricing (from last year) and is no longer much cheaper then the taxis (unless they are ripping-off cruisers).  As to the local buses, we now have a combination of new buses, old buses, and some older buses.  Some use the new cash boxes (where you must deposit exact change in Pesos) while others have covered the new boxes (the driver handles fares like the old days) and the older buses still also use the driver to handle fares.  I have not seen any driver accept US Dollars although it might happen.  But since the current exchange rate means that the fare would be about 60 cents...not sure how they would handle this (perhaps take $1 per person).

Hank