Waitlisting Experience Anyone?

GulfShoresCruiser

We just put down a $350 deposit directly with HAL to be waitlisted for the sold out 2/11 O'dam 7 day cruise.

The way I understand it, if a spot comes open, I will be sent an email with a price/category and then I need to quickly respond. No info is given as to where we stand on the list.

Does anyone have any experience with cruising from the waitlist?

The opportunity to cruise came up suddenly and it seems that any other time I see a zillion last minute discounts but when I can finally jump.....well.....nothing.....unless I want to strike out to Cuba and I'm not into helping the Castro family.

We were waitlisted for the Veendam Holiday cruise to Cuba this past December. What do you want to know? We never knew where we were on the list. Actually received a telephone call from HAL TA telling us a cabin opened up, we had 48 hours to decide if we wanted it. Since final payment was passed, we had to pay immediately.

As far as the price being reasonable, I guess that depends on how badly you want to go on that particular cruise. It was the first HAL return to Cuba, and it was a holiday cruise, which are always more anyway. My husband didn't want to go if we couldn't get a Neptune suite. I think it ended up being about $1,000 more per person for a 12 day cruise, compared to ones leaving later.

You might get lucky, but you have chosen one of the busiest cruise weeks of the entire winter season. Consider it includes Valentines Day....and your disembarkation weekend is a 3 day holiday weekend in the USA.

Hank

We have waitlisted twice and been called each time. Just be aware it can be very last minute! One call was received at 4:30 p.m. the day before the sailing. Price offers were good and we were given a couple of cabin choices.

That was our experience as well. It is my understanding, the prices you will be quoted was what the most current price was prior to the sailing being closed. We were asked what category we wanted, given a couple of stateroom #’s and we chose.

The passengers originally assigned to the stateroom were upgraded. We know this because when their luggage arrived at our door, the cabin steward crossed out the stateroom #, wrote in their new stateroom # & then took their luggage for delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums