Just booked Seaside. Thank you Spaniel Lover

GOLDENBONNY

After reading review of Spaniel Lover and admiring his photos I checked MSC web for price and surprisingly big sale was going on . I got my cabin for under $3000.00 for 3 of us. now I am a cool girl (not as cool as a YC passengers will be ) but close enough ;p

I wonder if mini bar is include in my all incl. package?

I thought his review said it was the worst of 40+ cruises. Anyhow, I'm glad you got a great deal! We're doing the Aurea Experience in March, I must admit I'm tnervous given the reviews, that we're Celebrity loyalists and are MSC newbies.

I read Spaniel Lover's review and watched his video, it was great. Yes, he did say it was the worst cruise in 43 cruises, but as always, make sure you understand why. All of his cruises were on the established lines that cater to and offer an American-style experience. He didn't like the glass shower door because it's sort of 1/2 the normal size, but that's common in Italy (where MSC is from). He also didn't like the food because it was geared towards Europeans. He was very upfront about the fact that he prefers cruises geared towards Americans, and ultimately that's why he didn't like the Seaside (though he did have lots of great things to say about it). Ironically, it's exactly because MSC is European that I want to try it out. So just make sure you know what you want. ;)

Thanks...as a Brit expat in North Carolina, I've never sailed a Euro cruise and am not familiar with the distinction between an American experience and a Euro one - Food, I get that, and thank god, I love Euro food. Language, not sure about that one, in my experience cruise lines usually source staff from predominantly Asian countries? What else can be different?

The only notable difference between an American experience and a European one - whether your on a cruise or hitting up the streets of Europe - is instant gratification and customer service. Americans expect prompt service and a quick fix to problems. That's not the European way, and maybe that stands out here.

And yes, everything is smaller in Europe, particularly bathrooms. Who needs massive space when you spend most of your time outside or exploring the ship.

Thanks...as a Brit expat in North Carolina, I've never sailed a Euro cruise and am not familiar with the distinction between an American experience and a Euro one - Food, I get that, and thank god, I love Euro food. Language, not sure about that one, in my experience cruise lines usually source staff from predominantly Asian countries? What else can be different?

The only notable difference between an American experience and a European one - whether your on a cruise or hitting up the streets of Europe - is instant gratification and customer service. Americans expect prompt service and a quick fix to problems. That's not the European way, and maybe that stands out here.

And yes, everything is smaller in Europe, particularly bathrooms. Who needs massive space when you spend most of your time outside or exploring the ship.

Indeed! I'm an American but I've gone to Europe almost every year since 1984, so I've gotten used to things being different. I haven't been on MSC yet (sailing in October), but we have been on two Costa cruises and from what I gather, MSC is similar. Some differences between Carnival, NCL, RCI and Italian lines:

1. Food caters more to European tastes (sweet pastries, cold cuts and cheeses for breakfast, muesli, whole grain breads)

2. Crew more laidback, less "eager to please" in the American sense, always smiling, etc..

3. Signs and announcements in 5 languages instead of just one.

4. Service in restaurants slower, since Europeans tend to eat in a more leisurely fashion (and later than Americans, I think MSC has a 9:45 pm dinner seating)

5. More highbrow entertainment-MSC has classical music and opera excerpts.

I have to say, I like both approaches. We've had fantastic cruises with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. But I like European things so MSC appeals to me and to my wife. :)

I thought his review said it was the worst of 40+ cruises. Anyhow, I'm glad you got a great deal! We're doing the Aurea Experience in March, I must admit I'm tnervous given the reviews, that we're Celebrity loyalists and are MSC newbies.

LOL I been on MSC 6 times and I know what to expect. I also never found big difference between all this "American" vs "European" on MSC ships . I had many cruises, never had a perfect one . I don't really like big ships because of the crowds in pool on sea days but I guess having whirlpool tub and access to private deck will solve this problem .

Savoring food at dinner, what a novel concept! :D Actually, when we dine out in America, we always order apps first, then wait till we've finished before ordering the rest. I can't abide the fact that all the food comes at once. We went to a fine dining restaurant to celebrate new year a few weeks ago and they refused to split the order-taking, so, yes, everything came at once and we were in and out in 40 minutes, nuts! I'm looking forward to a slow-paced, Euro dining experience on Seaside, and cold cuts for breakfast, yummy.

I read Spaniel Lover's review and watched his video, it was great. Yes, he did say it was the worst cruise in 43 cruises, but as always, make sure you understand why.

I really like this post! I completely agree that it's important to understand the reasons behind my conclusion about MSC Seaside. I never said that no one should cruise on it! I was talking about all the reasons it wasn't for me. I think those reasons will apply to a lot of other American cruisers, too... but the Europeans will be a lot happier with MSC Seaside.

Broad generalization:

Do you think Opera is entertaining?

If so, you may like the entertainment more than I did.

Do you think having breakfast at Denny's or IHOP is a great start to the day?

If yes, you might find the food on MSC Seaside a bit challenging.

This Sunday I'll be posting my full review of our cruise, and that will include details of some of the problems we ran in to that I haven't mentioned yet. So, check the MSC board here on CruiseCritic late Sunday (or just check on Monday) if you're interested in hearing more about why we decided we won't be cruising with MSC again anytime soon.

Now I got more questions

1. So many restaurants on board all of them for extra charge and how much?

2. Do I nee to book evening show in advance or I just go as on any other ship?

1. Not all restaurants cost extra but the Bistro, Ocean Cay, Butcher Cut, and the Asian experiences do. Prices vary. Most of the specialty menus are found https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2570941

Sushi place has packages starting at $25. Or if you're vegetarian they start at $20 and $12 for the kid's menu. Or you can have an individual sushi roll starting at $9 Not entirely sure whether you get a tasting version of each in the packages like the Sencho or just choose so many.

$29 for the dining experience menu at the Bistro I think. Not on that link for me to check. Or you can buy a single item a la cart. Same for any of the specialty restaurants including sushi.

$35 Regular Roy's Dining Experience.

$39 for Butcher's Cut Dining Experience.

$50 for Ocean Cay dining experience.

$69 in advance for the specialty dining trio at least on the US site.

Prices go up from there.

There are also special upcharge items several nights in the MDR. Think I saw $19.99 for the steak and lobster on one of the posted menus so about $23.50 with the 18%.

2. Depends on how important it is to you to see the show at the desired time I expect. From what I've heard you can go very early before they're checking and wait or line up and take a chance on unclaimed seating 10-15 minutes prior to curtain time. Probably easier to just book it in my view but that's me and my holiday. :)

LOL I been on MSC 6 times and I know what to expect. I also never found big difference between all this "American" vs "European" on MSC ships . I had many cruises, never had a perfect one . I don't really like big ships because of the crowds in pool on sea days but I guess having whirlpool tub and access to private deck will solve this problem .

Yes it will but still no pool.

So true, European vacation mode: "You don´t ask me any questions, not about how I feel or "do" today, if "everything is OK" and so on. Yes you can make up my cabin, but otherwise try to be invisible. If their is a small problem we both ignore it, if it is a big one, I will ask to fix it, but as you are Italian I suppose you will fail, anyway, will not ruin my vacation :cool: (sorry for the stereotypes).

Broad generalization:

No. This is not the point. I don´t really like Opera, I would not go to the Opera at home. But on a MSC ship I expect entertainment with Opera (anyway it is a superlight version of Opera) and I am disappointed when there is a lot of Disney instead of Opera like on our last trip with the Meraviglia. Cirque du Soleil, that is not even from Europe!

I am not happy with the direction MSC is going. First they started to please the Germans, then the East Asians, then the British, the Americans, of cause I know, they want to become not just the fastest growing but also the biggest cruise company in the world, but where should this all end :(

I want a holiday in Italy on the sea (what they promised to me) and if someone want to make selfies with Mickey Mouse, he should go to Disney.

MSC says it is the mediterranean cruise company with the classical italian devotion for bambini.

We were just on Seaside last week.

Plenty of American food choices on board. Buffets had burgers, pizza, chicken strips, sandwiches etc. Main dining room had an always available steak, broiled salmon, shrimp cocktail and baked chicken if nothing on the rotating menu appealed. Although we are Americans we preferred the more Mediterranean options. Pasta was made on board an every good, as was risottos. Not interested in eating what we eat at home.

As for the entertainment, there was one true opera, Butterflies, a condensed version of Madame Butterfly. The other production shows featured the production cast of singers and dancers. Nearly all of the singing was in English. One of the shows was a tribute to Frank Sinatra and another featured a 15 minute tribute to Michael Jackson.

I have just booked a fabulous new cruise for Americans only...Xenophobic Cruises! There’s actually a Food Court with a McDonald’s and a Chick-fil-A! Woo-hoo! They only serve domestic beer onboard, which is just fine by me. I do like my PBR in the morning! You can even get a Big Mac in the MDR, where they show NASCAR 24 hours a day, for an upcharge!

The entertainment is real cool too, with ALL the singing in ‘Merican English. C ya’ll onboard!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shows can only be booked once on the ship. You can do it via the MSC For ME app, but we booked using the interactive maps located throughout the ship. Very quick and easy! We booked the entire week's worth in about 5 minutes. They open the theater 30 minutes prior to the start of the show for those with reservations. Five minutes before the show starts they allow in those without reservations. I would say you will still get in even if you do not reserve in advance, but seating choices will be limited. We booked the 7:00 shows each evening as we had 8:30 seating for dinner.

I understand people wanting an “American” experience when they cruise but there are others like me who enjoy something different. We will be sailing on the Seaside in 2 weeks and will be traveling with family who are not as adventurous as my husband and me. That is one of the reasons we chose to cruise on MSC. It seemed to us that it had something for everyone in our party.

When many in our family travel, we love to expand our horizons. When in a foreign country or even a different part of the US we always look for opportunities to try the local cuisine, and meet and talk to local people about their life experiences. This has been the highlight of many trips we’ve taken.

In France we loved eating at a local lunch spot where we were the only people in the restaurant who were not vineyard workers and the only ones who spoke English. While I loved Denmark, I tried the pickled herring, but once was enough for me.

I never cared for opera on TV but one time I had the opportunity to see a live Italian opera in DC and found it incredible. The talent required to sing opera well is amazing and hearing it live was a very different experience. Would I get a season subscription? No but I would go again.

I don’t expect to have the same level of experience on MSC as I’d get in Italy. I’ll save the in depth Italian experience for another trip, but something with a flavor of Italy sounds very appealing. I also don’t expect to absolutely love everything MSC has to offer, but am really looking forward to our upcoming trip. Should MSC address real issues? Absolutely! But I would hate to see MSC totally Americanize the entire experience. For that I can go on a different cruise line.

;)

i have just booked a fabulous new cruise for americans only...xenophobic cruises! There’s actually a food court with a mcdonald’s and a chick-fil-a! Woo-hoo! They only serve domestic beer onboard, which is just fine by me. I do like my pbr in the morning! You can even get a big mac in the mdr, where they show nascar 24 hours a day, for an upcharge!

The entertainment is real cool too, with all the singing in ‘merican english. C ya’ll onboard!

Sent from my ipad using forums

;)

I really like this post! I completely agree that it's important to understand the reasons behind my conclusion about MSC Seaside. I never said that no one should cruise on it! I was talking about all the reasons it wasn't for me. I think those reasons will apply to a lot of other American cruisers, too... but the Europeans will be a lot happier with MSC Seaside.

Broad generalization:

Do you think having breakfast at Denny's or IHOP is a great start to the day?

If yes, you might find the food on MSC Seaside a bit challenging.

This Sunday I'll be posting my full review of our cruise, and that will include details of some of the problems we ran in to that I haven't mentioned yet. So, check the MSC board here on CruiseCritic late Sunday (or just check on Monday) if you're interested in hearing more about why we decided we won't be cruising with MSC again anytime soon.

There is only one Opera show and its very nice . I am not a big opera lover, but to have free opportunity to see it not bad ,specially for kids.( Yes, I am bad mother ,I made my 9 years old to see it). Plus I am differently prefer to see Opera than cheesy Comedy show. Breakfast is same on every cruise ship I been before . I totally understand MSC is not for you. We all different and it would be very boring if all cruise lines be the same. I hate NCL and not even free cruise will make me to go with them again, but they will not go bankruptcy because of me LOL

So true, European vacation mode: "You don´t ask me any questions, not about how I feel or "do" today, if "everything is OK" and so on. Yes you can make up my cabin, but otherwise try to be invisible. If their is a small problem we both ignore it, if it is a big one, I will ask to fix it, but as you are Italian I suppose you will fail, anyway, will not ruin my vacation :cool: (sorry for the stereotypes).

No. This is not the point. I don´t really like Opera, I would not go to the Opera at home. But on a MSC ship I expect entertainment with Opera (anyway it is a superlight version of Opera) and I am disappointed when there is a lot of Disney instead of Opera like on our last trip with the Meraviglia. Cirque du Soleil, that is not even from Europe!

I am not happy with the direction MSC is going. First they started to please the Germans, then the East Asians, then the British, the Americans, of cause I know, they want to become not just the fastest growing but also the biggest cruise company in the world, but where should this all end :(

I want a holiday in Italy on the sea (what they promised to me) and if someone want to make selfies with Mickey Mouse, he should go to Disney.

MSC says it is the mediterranean cruise company with the classical italian devotion for bambini.

I totally agree that they should not band and they should stay who they are -Italian cruise line .

Yes it will but still no pool.

Yes, but I am sure my DD will be happy to have some water on balcony during rush hours in pool. I did not tell her what cabin I booked it will be surprise.:* Myself I don't care for pools that much, been outside on this private sun deck with free drink will make me happy as well LOL. Lets see how we tolerate huge ship because even Divina is too big for my taste (and I am going 4rth time on Divina in May, I guess this ship is hunting me and tries to make me love it)LOL

I understand people wanting an “American” experience when they cruise but there are others like me who enjoy something different. We will be sailing on the Seaside in 2 weeks and will be traveling with family who are not as adventurous as my husband and me. That is one of the reasons we chose to cruise on MSC. It seemed to us that it had something for everyone in our party.

When many in our family travel, we love to expand our horizons. When in a foreign country or even a different part of the US we always look for opportunities to try the local cuisine, and meet and talk to local people about their life experiences. This has been the highlight of many trips we’ve taken.

In France we loved eating at a local lunch spot where we were the only people in the restaurant who were not vineyard workers and the only ones who spoke English. While I loved Denmark, I tried the pickled herring, but once was enough for me.

I never cared for opera on TV but one time I had the opportunity to see a live Italian opera in DC and found it incredible. The talent required to sing opera well is amazing and hearing it live was a very different experience. Would I get a season subscription? No but I would go again.

I don’t expect to have the same level of experience on MSC as I’d get in Italy. I’ll save the in depth Italian experience for another trip, but something with a flavor of Italy sounds very appealing. I also don’t expect to absolutely love everything MSC has to offer, but am really looking forward to our upcoming trip. Should MSC address real issues? Absolutely! But I would hate to see MSC totally Americanize the entire experience. For that I can go on a different cruise line.

MSC is just trying to customize its cruise experience to the markets it serves.... Its understandable and I will admit it sounds like they are off to a shaky start with the Seaside. But its no different than other lines... For example.... NCL (The Joy) is customized for the Asian market she will be sailing in.... As I've stated several times....There appears to be a disconnect in the message and advertisng MSC sent out before Seaside began sailing. This is why you may be seeing so much divisive feedback regarding Seaside. Reagardless she appears to be a beautiful ship and I am sure the European and Italian feel will remain but I would expect some more consistent changes to better meet the N American cruise expectations.

MSC is just trying to customize its cruise experience to the markets it serves.... Its understandable and I will admit it sounds like they are off to a shaky start with the Seaside. But its no different than other lines... For example.... NCL (The Joy) is customized for the Asian market she will be sailing in.... As I've stated several times....There appears to be a disconnect in the message and advertisng MSC sent out before Seaside began sailing. This is why you may be seeing so much divisive feedback regarding Seaside. Reagardless she appears to be a beautiful ship and I am sure the European and Italian feel will remain but I would expect some more consistent changes to better meet the N American cruise expectations.

More than anything, I am really curious how things play out for the seaside in the next year or so. I think that it is great to hear that it is a bit different than the other cruises sailing from the east coast. It is nice to have options. I wonder if MSC will be able to keep their 5000 pax ship full by being "slightly different" than the others or will they end up having to fall in line to compete. I know just by reading these boards that their are people very happy with the idea of what the seaside brings.

The question is, are there enough to keep that big ship full every week? Say I am the average american consumer. I don't go to CC to research and read forums. My wife says "hey, lets go on a cruise". "I heard about this new ship the seaside that is a bit different that the others". I google 'Seaside reviews", and just do a quick cursory overview, cause I don't have time to sit and read for 2 hours. Well forget that ship, it has 2 stars out of 5. Out of 90 something reviews only 18 people thought it was above average. I guess we will look at something else then.

Now I know that people on here will go in depth to convince that average American consumer that they should ignore those reviews and explain why they might be wrong to discount the seaside. But guess what? They are not on here reading this forum. They are not going to get that message, and they will be on another cruiseline.

More than anything, I am really curious how things play out for the seaside in the next year or so. I think that it is great to hear that it is a bit different than the other cruises sailing from the east coast. It is nice to have options. I wonder if MSC will be able to keep their 5000 pax ship full by being "slightly different" than the others or will they end up having to fall in line to compete. I know just by reading these boards that their are people very happy with the idea of what the seaside brings.

The question is, are there enough to keep that big ship full every week? Say I am the average american consumer. I don't go to CC to research and read forums. My wife says "hey, lets go on a cruise". "I heard about this new ship the seaside that is a bit different that the others". I google 'Seaside reviews", and just do a quick cursory overview, cause I don't have time to sit and read for 2 hours. Well forget that ship, it has 2 stars out of 5. Out of 90 something reviews only 18 people thought it was above average. I guess we will look at something else then.

Now I know that people on here will go in depth to convince that average American consumer that they should ignore those reviews and explain why they might be wrong to discount the seaside. But guess what? They are not on here reading this forum. They are not going to get that message, and they will be on another cruiseline.

Every time MSC brings new ship there is 'worries" about how they gonna do . Same was with Divina . They gonna do just fine . Couple week ago I been reading RCL forum and reviews there are not too good as well , same with any other cruise line, always will be lots of unhappy cruisers. Cruising become too affordable, and any one who paid $500.00 for cabin thinks for some reason, he can now demand high class standards . Yesterday I been doing some search and there are many many very happy cruisers, and many good videos on YouTube about Seaside. Plus American consumers is not the whole World , many Europeans do cruise in Caribbeans . If anything the whole industry makes me wonder with so many ships in seas what they gonna do?

Wow, I can hardly count the number of unsubstantiated assumptions in this post. Who exactly IS this "average" American? I know lots of people and they're all individuals, no two exactly alike. And how do you know that people who cruise don't read any reviews, here or elsewhere? YouTube is, I suspect, a very popular channel for people and there are already many reviews of the Seaside there. With all due respect, I think you are making way too many assumptions here. Your last sentence "They are not going to get that message, and they will be on another cruiseline," how do you know this? Have you done any market research? Asked the proverbial "man on the street?" If you have, please let us know. But I'm afraid I have trouble doubting the accuracy of your predictions, and have to conclude they're just speculative. Sorry.