Self Guided tour on a Sunday of St. Peter's Basllica

funtime18

We will be in Rome on Sunday, October 7 and would like to buy skip the line tickets to see St. Peter's Basilica on our own. I have seen online some companies that have an audio-guide and advertise skip-the-line tickets.Would that be for the security line just to get to the front since there is not cost to enter? I just don't know if we can buy these for a Sunday afternoon between masses.

Thanks,

funtime18

I am a bit confused since you do not need a ticket to enter St Peters Basilica...and its free. If you want to rent an audio tour they are available from a counter on the right side (near the entrance). If you decide to climb the Cupola you will need to get a ticket. There is an admission charge to the Treasury, but that is just a matter of getting in line (usually not too long) and paying the fee. When you are talking about "skip the lines" and "tickets" it is usually in reference to the Vatican Museums And while on the subject, the Vatican Museums are closed most Sundays except the last Sunday (most months) when it is free. But if you happen to be there on the free Sundays (only open from 9-2) the lines and crowds can be just awful.

I should add that you will have to clear a security line before you can get into St Peters. The Security line is a hot or miss kind of thing...but it does more pretty fast.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You will clear security as you climb the steps to the huge St. Peter's entry doors,. I I do no t recall but if you wish to see the cata combs, there may be a chag e for that?

If you have the option to visit St. Pter's on a day other than Sunday, you may wish to opt for that.

Last October we visited the basilica on a Friday at noon with skip the line tickets. I figure the line was a couple of hours long as it circled the square and was only 75 yards from the exit.

The tickets were $15eu and you get to go straight to security and then get an audioguide. We paid an extra $8eu to climb the dome and it was worth every penny. We spent about 4 hours there before heading for a snack and the Vatican Museum for a night tour.